Psoriasis and scar tissue????

** Originally posted by CrazyRed06 **

Ok, I'm not going to go into detail because this is a really long story...I had a synovial debridement of my left knee in August 2007. I ended up having surgery again on the same knee on 2/1/08-this time another arthroscopy, a closed manipulation, and a lateral release of my knee cap. I had a 3rd surgery on 4/4-which was another closed manipulation. My knee is STILL messed up. But here's my question:

Does psoriasis affect the growth of fibrous scar tissue post surgery? I was back in PT on 4/7, which was 2 days after my surgery and there was already a block in my knee. I know it's not a hard-end feel (the anatomical limit of where a body part can be moved) but it feels like one. My doctor doesn't know what's causing this problem, neither does my Rhumetologist. One of my teachers brought this up tonight. Her brother-in-law's side of the family, including HER sister, and niece all have psoriasis and are having knee problems like I am. It was a good point, so I thought I'd ask.

I'm going back to see the orthopedic surgeon tomorrow and I have a feeling he'll want to send me back to surgery for a 4th time. I can't have another surgery, I can't take much more. I'm only 26 years old, I've had PA for 4 years, and I'm sick of having this problem. I can't wear real shoes, I can't chase my sister's kids around, I can't go to the beach because it's hard for me to walk in the sand (I live in Daytona dammit!), and my friends don't really ask me to go out anymore because I have a hard time getting around.

Any help you guys have would be greatly appreciated...thank you!

6 replies. Join the discussion

** Originally posted by nyoki **

I don't know if there's a correlation but another poster here (Re) has a number of problems w/ her knees too. It's hard for her to post right now so I'll alert her to yours and see if she can help.

BTW, love the signature...I'm considering stealing it.

** Originally posted by Re **

pick one I have had them both done and no they do not feel better. I too love your signature. I am american indian and irish so I got a temper and then I scalp the one I am pissed off at. LOL The bender doc says I need both knees done again. I just have to wait. Can't stand to have another so soon. I was told I could get by maybe 1 1/2 -2 years then I will HAVE to do it again. I have not had anything that has made them feel better. NOTHING! I have scar tissue in both knees and lately I have been thinking "what the hell did I have that done for?" I had arthroscopic debridment, repair of torn cartilage and lateral release on both. The right is in better shape but not by much but the left...UGH Well I should have just begged them to replace them. The problem with those of us with PsA is that the meds we take reduce or deplete our immune system so we don't heal quickly and sometimes it is sooo long that damage begins from the lack of healing. Plus we get muscle atrophy quickly. I am currently working on getting my PCP to set me up for PT (pain and torture) once every other month. Did the doc say if you also have OA? That too, with PsA will make it soo much harder. For some reason PsA makes the OA more aggresive and then when you think it is over, then PsA rears it's ugly head, then we see the affects, and distruction of PsA. It is one big circle of bone destruction. IF you got any ? pm me or just post here.
Let me see...American Indian...cherokee and apache. scalp or skin. mix it with Irish attitudes and BANG!
Hey nyoki! I did get another seed! lol
Re

** Originally posted by keegan62 **

so you can have PA and osteo the PA makes osteo worse so that maybe it looks like just PA??????? am asking all you guys youa re so knowlegable

Kathy

** Originally posted by Re **

and no. you can have PsA and OA. What happened to me was the PsA made the OA aggressive and for years my regular doc said OA based on xrays. But gee that was more than ten years ago. Docs don't know enough about PsA. The damage that showed up first for me was from OA and now just scad amounts of PsA are showing. The different Arthropathies look different as far as the damage. OAdamge has a certain look like for example the OA looks like it destroys inside the joints while PsA looks like someone has whittled away the outsides of the joints. Kind of hard to explain. I will try to find pics of the two.
Re

PS no matter which destroys it is disabling and just sucks on a seed

got pics don't know if it explains or shows, etc.

** Originally posted by keegan62 **

i remember once an osteo showed me my xrays of my wrist and said that there is a point on the bone in the wrist that I am missing lol....... that was 15 years ago
I also have in the top of one foot a bone that has been eaten away the foot dr said he was going to go in and fix it with a bone graft and I said no.... I wear clogs that do not press on it and that helps had to wear clarks sandles for a year only shoes I could lol thatr dr cleaned scar tissue out of the ankle joint I was in a lot of pain could not walk...... Guess i never thought any of this was serious until now when I feel so bad
Oh well got to 62 raised my kids so I am thankful.... I am now on 2 water pills cannot wear shoes feet so swollen sandles and clogs included they make my feet black and blue from pressure on the swelling...... I am afraid to take the remicade .... Wonder if the MTX is making em swell so bad the EMBREL did..... Oh I am rambling again guess I am scared
took MTX tonight cant stop sweating
thanks for listening
Kathy

** Originally posted by CrazyRed06 **

I've had school all week until 10pm after putting in 10 hours at work each day and I'm worn out...except for today, I took that off. :)

My ortho said he wanted to give me one more month with PT and scheduled my next appointment for June 2nd. So far, I'm doing fine. My range of motion is at 115 degrees as of yesterday. But going down the stairs normally is still a huge step that is difficult to take. And I went ahead and joined a gym (mainly because when I scheduled my appointments, they were pretty booked and I was on the list for cancellations) and as soon as I signed the paperwork, appointments suddenly became available. But still, I made it around on the bike while at the gym a lot easier than at PT.

But no, I don't have OA or RA. My PCP at the time wouldn't have missed it in the x-rays she had found other issues before and helped me a lot during treatment. And my rheumy is a real good guy and I've been doing very well under his care until this knee issue popped up.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support the National Psoriasis Foundation

Help the National Psoriasis Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the National Psoriasis Foundation

Discussion topics

Additional resources

Community leaders