Psoriasis and not getting sick---anyone else notice this?

** Originally posted by matter2003 **

I have had psoriasis for maybe the last 4-5 years or so, and I can only remember getting sick maybe 2 times during this period, and both were very minor colds. I have not been sick for almost 2 years now(knock on wood). While I was always pretty healthy growing up, I would usually get sick at least once or twice a year, but I honestly cannot remember the last time I got sick. Could my over-active immune system that is causing the psoriasis be responsible for me also never seemingly being sick? It is really strange because I am around people that are sick quite a bit at work, and also my wife has gotten sick at least 4-5 times in the past year(she is an elementary school teacher---a virtual breeding ground for sickness), but not one time did I even get so much as a sore throat. I never really thought anything of it until someone remarked at work that I was the only one who hadnt caught a cold that spread thru the other 4 people and that I never seemed to get sick. I then started thinking about how I used to get sick growing up more frequently than I have recently.

Has anyone else seen something similar happen to them? Maybe its just in my imagination, but I have been around quite a few sick people and have not gotten sick myself, but maybe it has just been my good fortune....

Matter2003

20 replies. Join the discussion

** Originally posted by Paco386 **

matter2003,

I too have had a similar experience as you have described ... it has been probably @ 5 or 6 years since my P began to surface and in that time I caught a touch of the flu once - only last November. A year before that everyone at my workplace was sick and I was the only one spared. Ironically, it was a month or so after my flu bout that I noticed new P patches on my torso and legs, when they were always limited to my scalp and elbows. I am on the Pagano regimen and it seems to be a slow healing but I am seeing a difference (2 weeks in).

Paco386

** Originally posted by grannyfranny **

Yes,,, I don't get sick much. When my kids were little and got strep and other things, I never got it from them. They were close in age so when one got sick, I knew the other would too,,,,sort of like double trouble. :)
The last 4-5 years have been the worst because of the "P" drugs I was trying.

** Originally posted by TheOne1313 **

Me too. I NEVER get sick, and when I do, it ususally goes away pretty quickly. Maybe it does have a link to psoriasis.

Honestly....i'd rather have the occasional cold lol.

** Originally posted by nesielheum **

Has anyone else seen something similar happen to them? Maybe its just in my imagination, but I have been around quite a few sick people and have not gotten sick myself, but maybe it has just been my good fortune....

Matter2003

Somewhere I heard PS described as the "healthy" man's disease. I am the same way as you Matter, rarely sick even when everybody around me is. I did suffer a bout with the flu in back to back years I think 2001 & 2002 but I learned my lesson and now get my flu shot prior to flu season. I have also been taking either Amevive (clinical trials) or Enbrel since 2000 with little or no change in my overall health, but a major improvement in my PS and quality of life. It is nice only being sick often enough to remind us that we need to take good care of ourselves.

** Originally posted by condor **

The fact that with Psoriasis, your immune system is working overtime constantly, probably is a factor in fighting off colds and flu's that may pass your way.

** Originally posted by LottieBay **

You are right! I have often commented that I never get sick. (Meaning a Cold, Flu other bugs that go around) I have had P all my life and I have worked in jobs that had constant contact with the public even drove school bus. I have never had the flu and probably five bad colds in my whole life.
I never thought about my immune system being in overdrive.
Things that make ya go Hmmmm?

Margaret

The fact that with Psoriasis, your immune system is working overtime constantly, probably is a factor in fighting off colds and flu's that may pass your way.

Hi condor,
It is not quite so simple, but for a short, and easy to understand explanation of the immune systems role in psoriasis you might want to visit this web page Psoriasis and Your Immune System interesting reading. The NPF website is another valuable resource for this type of information. http://www.psoriasis.org/research/known/immune.php

Hi Nesielheum;

This is contrary to popular belief and the link you just provided, but I have a hard time saying my immune system is wrong in what it is doing.
I think it is doing exactly what it should be doing, only it appears as though it is attacking our own system-but is actually trying to stave off more damage.

We'll have to have a seperate string to bat this one back and forth at a later time.

Steve

** Originally posted by jennmkirby **

I had been racking my brain trying to remember the address for the website that had been advertised on TV a while back, and that's the one... And guess who's sponsoring it? Amgen and Wyeth, the makers of Enbrel (a drug which admittedly has done a world of good for a lot of people.... Neiselheum, I'm very happy for you that Enbrel has made such a difference in your life!) I just think it's interesting that they want the public to believe that they don't know what causes your immune system to do what it does, when there's a wealth of information out there that will tell you what's really going on in your body when you have psoriasis. I think they probably know exactly why your immune system does what it does, and I agree with Steve that it's doing exactly what it should do. They want you to think it's all "anecdotal evidence" and "small, poorly controlled studies" where people have had success with diet and lifestyle changes, etc. And the obvious reason why they want you to believe that is because there's no big money for Wyeth/Amgen in "curing psoriasis", only in "treating psoriasis".

I was a bit surprised and pleased to see on their site, that they do have a small section about nutrition and its effect on P, but it seems very skeptical. http://www.psoriasisconnect.com/health_style/diet_helps.jsp

Not trying to get anything stirred up and I hope I don't sound like a conspiracy theorist... I'm just making an observation about that site. This is the comp/alternative forum, after all. Steve's right, probably best left to a separate thread... didn't mean to go off topic from matter2003's original question.

BTW, I have been sick a lot the last few years, probably due to the fact that I had been for the most part putting nothing but junk in my body... I feel lucky that it finally decided to send me a message.

** Originally posted by sabsmako **

You're all very lucky...I get sick at least twice a year and always lasts a very long time. I've been sick now for over 2 weeks.

** Originally posted by wackydog **

Y'all must be luckier than me, though I DO work in a school Karen - and in a basement with poor air circulation to boot! I've been sick a LOT since my P showed up.

** Originally posted by makeitgoaway **

I have had psoriasis for maybe the last 4-5 years or so, and I can only remember getting sick maybe 2 times during this period, and both were very minor colds. I have not been sick for almost 2 years now(knock on wood). While I was always pretty healthy growing up, I would usually get sick at least once or twice a year, but I honestly cannot remember the last time I got sick. Could my over-active immune system that is causing the psoriasis be responsible for me also never seemingly being sick? It is really strange because I am around people that are sick quite a bit at work, and also my wife has gotten sick at least 4-5 times in the past year(she is an elementary school teacher---a virtual breeding ground for sickness), but not one time did I even get so much as a sore throat. I never really thought anything of it until someone remarked at work that I was the only one who hadnt caught a cold that spread thru the other 4 people and that I never seemed to get sick. I then started thinking about how I used to get sick growing up more frequently than I have recently.

Matter2003

The difference for me has been dramatic. Definatly get sick a lot less and shorter duration since having P. I have also wondered the same.

I have another similar question to add into this string.

Have any of you who have gotten sick with the flu virus while having psoriasis, had the experience of the psoriasis entirely clearing up during the flu bout. This has happened to me each of the two times I have contracted the flu.

Anyone else had similar experiences?

If so, any guesses as to why this could happen?

Steve.

** Originally posted by bratsareus **

I would think that it has something to do with your immune system being busy fighting the flu virus. That might take away the abilitiy for it to work overtime on your skin.

aha, it's enbrel!

Actually no, not about enbrel at all, just on how our immune systems work and how this function manifests itself in the forms of PS and PA. There are certainly other theories of our immune systems role in this disease, and they should not be discounted but conventional wisdom and solid research has indicated that this is how our immune system and the disease are related.
This information in no way should be construed as an indication that diet/lifestyle does not play a significant role in this disease and doing so would be a diservice. Too many have realized a dramatic turnaround through dietary/lifestyle modification to say that this method should be discounted. Likewise too many have reaped quality of life benefits from conventional treatments. However, both have also had there failures to produce appreciable improvement and at times the (conventional treatments) have caused more damage than good. The truth is that any attempt to pit one (alternative treatments) against the other (conventional treatments) is akin to trying to find a cure while wearing blinders. Both have benefits, and only through tireless and tedious research will we be able to understand the cause and effect of specific treatments (diet included) and ultimately attain our goal for a cure.

** Originally posted by grannyfranny **

Actually no, not about enbrel at all, just on how our immune systems work and how this function manifests itself in the forms of PS and PA. There are certainly other theories of our immune systems role in this disease, and they should not be discounted but conventional wisdom and solid research has indicated that this is how our immune system and the disease are related.
This information in no way should be construed as an indication that diet/lifestyle does not play a significant role in this disease and doing so would be a diservice. Too many have realized a dramatic turnaround through dietary/lifestyle modification to say that this method should be discounted. Likewise too many have reaped quality of life benefits from conventional treatments. However, both have also had there failures to produce appreciable improvement and at times the (conventional treatments) have caused more damage than good. The truth is that any attempt to pit one (alternative treatments) against the other (conventional treatments) is akin to trying to find a cure while wearing blinders. Both have benefits, and only through tireless and tedious research will we be able to understand the cause and effect of specific treatments (diet included) and ultimately attain our goal for a cure.

Strange that the only time I have ever had bronchitis was when I took Enbrel and Prednisone,,,,,,not at the same time.
And after stopping all p drugs and turning totally to healthier living that I am getting better.

Strange that the only time I have ever had bronchitis was when I took Enbrel and Prednisone,,,,,,not at the same time.
And after stopping all p drugs and turning totally to healthier living that I am getting better.

I suppose I could counter by saying what a godsend the new biologics have been for me, but the truth is that my boon :) has been your bust :mad: . So perhaps there is something to be learned from this. Why did you become ill when on these medications, and why do others on these medications get well? The answers are not always clear, but there are answers and we will only find them if we keep our eyes open look real hard.

** Originally posted by jennmkirby **

Yeah, but Tim, my point was that if you're looking at information that's being presented by a company that makes a drug that treats what you're suffering from, you might do well to realize that maybe you're not getting the entire picture about what's known about the disease or about your treatment options. Amgen/Wyeth would have to be incredibly bad at marketing to tell you "Hey! There are lots of people who have been able to reverse psoriasis with no ill effects on their immune system, just through changing their diets! Here's how!" Or even if you were interested in other biologic drugs than Enbrel, and there are several other options just in the biologic family, http://www.psoriasisconnections.com doesn't have links directly to their websites. They're not stupid. And I'm not saying that we, as healthcare consumers, shouldn't be incredibly grateful for the work they've done, because they have saved lives and increased the quality of life for a tremendous number of people. I'm just saying that those drugs are not your only option, and in my opinion they shouldn't be the first thing that the doctors turn to. That's just my opinion though.

Interestingly enough, a few years ago I was prescribed the drug Effexor for anxiety and mild depression. I took it for about a year, and while it helped to knock the edge off of my anxiety it was still there, and I still didn't feel great. Now that I've given up sugar, sugar substitutes, and white flour, I feel like a completely different person... like the me that I used to remember. I don't notice anywhere on Effexor's website any information about diet and its effect on brain chemistry (which is significant in my experience now.) If on their site it had said anything about the fact that maybe all I needed to do was cut out white stuff from my diet and that I might feel much better, would I have done it? I might have given it a try. (And incidentally, the company that makes Effexor is none other than Wyeth.) And I'm not saying it's all the drug companies' fault... I think the doctors are just as much to blame because they don't look at us as whole people. They look at us for 10 minutes and then say "Hmm, not feeling so well lately? Why don't we try this drug" when they really should be having serious discussions with us about all the things we do that have a negative effect on our health.

Sorry if anyone thinks this is way off topic... I just think our whole way of doing healthcare in this country is going to have to go through a major overhaul. (And I'm a republican!)

** Originally posted by klb7520 **

I very rarely get sick either. If I get sick it is usually gone quicker than people without P. I was exposed to Chicken Pox as a child and never got them. I've only had maybe 3 headaches in my life. I never get sick and never need to use meds of any sort. If I could just get rid of the scalp P and the P of my nails. My heart goes out to the people on this board who have to endure a lot more than I do.

I've put my P in perspective and realize that it could be a lot worse. I wish everyone the best. Take care.

** Originally posted by JSimantov **

I very rarely get sick either. If I get sick it is usually gone quicker than people without P. I was exposed to Chicken Pox as a child and never got them. I've only had maybe 3 headaches in my life. I never get sick and never need to use meds of any sort. If I could just get rid of the scalp P and the P of my nails. My heart goes out to the people on this board who have to endure a lot more than I do.

I've put my P in perspective and realize that it could be a lot worse. I wish everyone the best. Take care.

I have to say I got chicken pox from my kids when I was 36. I thought I had it as a kid as my mother thought I did.
guess not, it was baaad at that age!
Im glad I didnt read what the side effects could be at an older age, but thank God its over.
Joyce :)

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support the National Psoriasis Foundation

Help the National Psoriasis Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the National Psoriasis Foundation

Discussion topics

Additional resources

Community leaders