Psoriasis and mental disorders

** Originally posted by Alesis **

Hello everyone:

I came across this study online:

http://www.clinicaltrials.gov/ct/show/NCT00356200?order=32

Apparently a medicine developed for use to treat certain mental conditions (psychotic symptoms and Schizophrenia) also is being test to treat P. This particular med is injected into the skin, and for treating P, it is injected straight into the lesions.

In addition to P, I suffer from and OCD (Obsessive-compulsive disorder) and take medication also developed originally for people with psychotic symptoms and Schizophrenia (the medicine is now used to treat a number of different mental illnesses). The point I'm getting at is this: I wonder if there is a direct connection with psoriasis and mental illness, not only from the P causing anxiety and depression from the stress of living with it, but perhaps a physiological connection as well?

I have oft wondered if there is one inbalance that creates all the health problems a particular person has...perhaps medicines wil be created someday to balance out what ever is out of place, thus correcting all our problems all at once.

What do you all think?

Best,

A.

10 replies. Join the discussion

** Originally posted by Joann71 **

I have long thought that all the physical/emotional manifestations that I have (psoriasis, migraines, depression, anxiety) are all really caused by the same thing. That even though they seem unrelated that they really are not.
I hope you are right that they will eventually figure this out and the treatment will be more effective!

** Originally posted by amstein93 **

I find this very interesting and just wonder how the body all relates to each other in the sense of how the different systems and organs work together and when they don't, how that manifests itself to the person? I was diagnosed with p and pa last summer, but had it for the majority of my life. I really thought I just had bad dandruff but then other issues make it worse later in life (ears, face, elbows) and the pa seemed to develop out of nowhere. But after almost 7 years of counseling for various issues (divorce, work stress, family, etc), I was diagnosed with depression and was told that based on my history, I had had it for most of my adult life. I have wondered if the two aren't somehow related - both seem to be reliant on chemicals in the body to be regulated properly and if not, things go awry. Maybe there are linkages there I don't understand and the medical community is exploring; not sure. Thanks for sharing the clinical study link!!

** Originally posted by purplebutterfly **

Could be. I've suffered depression to varying degrees off and on my whole life. I remember taking wellbutrin for a short time, and it did seem to lighten up the p, but I felt to wigged out on wellbutrin so I don't take it anymore.

** Originally posted by MadCat **

For treating P, it is injected straight into the lesions.

This sounds utterly hideous; I think I would rather have P, than subject myself to this!!

** Originally posted by grannyfranny **

This sounds utterly hideous; I think I would rather have P, than subject myself to this!!

I think this might depend on how bad your psoriasis is. If one can not use their hands or walk, you might try almost anything.

** Originally posted by MadCat **

I think this might depend on how bad your psoriasis is. If one can not use their hands or walk, you might try almost anything.

Yes you are right, but for me it would really have to be "the last resort".

I read this whilst eating dinner last night, and it almost came up again!

When my P was really bad, I could not bear to touch it or bear anyone else to touch it, so the thought of having an injection directly into it, gave me the shivers.

(I also have an injection phobia at the best of times)

** Originally posted by Estheticianmagician **

i know this kind of changes the subject, but the mental health topic just reminds me of lithium. im 99% sure that's what caused my psoriasis to spread from my nails to my whole body. So, if you're mentally ill, just stay off lithium and remember to tell your doctor about every medical condition you have.

** Originally posted by SCCatman **

I got a chamnce to try an IL10 inhibitor that had to be injected directly into plaques. It also only coverd a very small area, so it took 8 to 10 injections for an elbow.
Also, at the time you were limited to only a small amount. I was not in any offical study, my derm just had some, I don't know the details.
The areas that were treated cleared in 2 to 4 days, and are expected to be clear for life. (Over a year and a half now).
Places where skin was thick like kness and elbows were painless, places like ankles where skin was thin, it hurt kinda bad.
As far as I know, it was for plaque only, and could not be used on the scalpe.
I would like to do more, but changed insurance and derms.

Dennis

** Originally posted by SandraJean **

I haven't tried thisparticular treatment, but I have often had the Kenalogg steriod injections that clear up the plaquesand they are injected into the plaques and clear up within a couple of days Several years ago I hadas many as over 100 injections in my legs alone. It just goes under the skin and can be painful, then someplaces it's not.

I also have been on lithium and have heard it can make psoriasis apear worse. I also had a toxic reaction to lithium along with an anti-inflamatory medication. I wouldn't go back on lithium ever again. It was very bad for me andthe poisioning was very life threatening

Sandy.

** Originally posted by RichJ **

i know this kind of changes the subject, but the mental health topic just reminds me of lithium. im 99% sure that's what caused my psoriasis to spread from my nails to my whole body. So, if you're mentally ill, just stay off lithium and remember to tell your doctor about every medical condition you have.

hi estheticianmagician,
welcome to the p family. you have met some of the wonderful people on here and will find alot of great info. welcome and nice to meet you.

have a good night all

richard

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support the National Psoriasis Foundation

Help the National Psoriasis Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the National Psoriasis Foundation

Discussion topics

Additional resources

Community leaders