Psoriasis & Magnetic Therapy

** Originally posted by sznicolas **

My experience:
Recent research indicates that psoriasis is likely to be a disorder of the immune system, causes activity by T cells (white blood).These T cells trigger the inflammation and excessive skin cell reproduction seen in people with psoriasis.
The immune system of the psoriasis patient start sending false signals. The skin then believes that it has been under attack and needs to rapidly regenerate in order to heal faster. One of the messengers often used by T cells is the TNF (Tumor Necrosis Factor) which is one of the first cytokines (mechanism by which cells communicate with one another) that appear during an inflammatory response. Unfortunate is the fact that T Cells usually call more T cells to help them control the false attack, causing the snow ball effect, spreading the psoriasis to other parts of skin in body.
The basic defect lies within the skin cells themselves. A delicate balance between two internal control compounds: cAMP (cyclic adenosine monophosphate) and cGMP (cyclic gaunosine monophosphate), which are second messengers that carry signals from the cell surface to proteins within the cell, and controls the rate at which cells divide. Increases in cyclic GMP are associated with increased cell proliferation. Conversely, increased levels of cyclic AMP are associated with enhanced cell maturation and decreased cell proliferation. The investigation of these second messengers (cAMP, cGMP) may help to provide a clearer understanding of the physiology and pathology of psoriasis disease state (both decreased cAMP and increased cGMP have been measured in the skin of individuals with psoriasis).
======= In precise experimental conditions of frequency and duration of exposure, the cAMP-dependent protein kinase ( an enzyme that modifies other proteins by chemically adding phosphate groups to them, regulating the majority of cellular pathways, especially those involved in the transmission of signals within the cell) of human lymphocytes (a type of white blood cell involved in the human body's immune system) has been inhibited by electromagnetic waves.=======
====Rebalancing the cyclic AMP is a prime electromagnetic-therapeutic goal.====
......If anybody interested I will speak about the electromagnetic-therapy

12 replies. Join the discussion

** Originally posted by grannyfranny **

I have tried the Accuscope/Myopulse therapy. I have pppp. My hands cleared and my feet got much better. My hands stayed clear from 1985-2003. That's when I flared after trying Enbrel for my feet.

We had Aetna insurance at the time and they paid for it because of the pain but stopped and said it was not approved by the FDA for psoriasis. Then the place where I got the treatments moved and I could not get them anymore. I have told several derms about it and they just said, "really". As far as I know, none of them have ever investigated it.

I would love to try the treatments again but only if insurance would pay. There are several sites about this if you do a search, you can see the machines.

Dr. Wright died in 2001.
http://lanceswrightmd.com/Acuscope.htm

** Originally posted by RichJ **

hi sznicolas,
welcome to the p family. you have met some of the wonderful people on here and will find alot of great info. welcome and nice to meet you,

have a good night all

richard

** Originally posted by nesielheum **

......If anybody interested I will speak about the electromagnetic-therapy

Let it rip sznicolas!

ELECTROMAGNETIC HEALING devices and electromagnetic therapy offer a new way to look at the treatment of disease. The potential value of using the EMF(Electro-Magnetic-Fields) the medical sciences is beginning to pay off. This is especially true in regard to the use and efficacy of diagnostic instruments that read bioenergy fields, such as CAT scans and MRI instruments. Physicians use several of the body's electrical systems for diagnosis (EKG, EEG, EMG and MEGs), though even fewer uses of the electromagnetic are found for therapeutics (cardiac pacemakers, defibrillators, TENs devices, bone healing instruments).
If electromagnetic fields can affect enzymes and cells, there is no reason of principle why one should not expect to be able to tailor a waveform as a therapeutic agent in much the same way as one now modulates chemical structures to obtain pharmacological selectivity.
The fundamental laws of electricity and magnetism are well understood, but they clearly allow a great variety of possible interactions with extremely complex, inhomogeneous, often anisotropic (scaled by different amounts in different directions), and continuously varying living organisms.
The high specificity of electromagnetic signals may result in the "direct targeting" of activity, without many of the side-effects common to pharmaceutical substances.
==== Nobody is saying that electromagnets are a be-all and cure-all. They should not be used by themselves for any major disease or medical condition, but rather, they should be looked upon as an adjunctive therapy. ====
=========___________________============

EMF
=Effects of EMF on humans (Appendix I-Canadian Handbook on Health Impact Assessmen): …. There is no specific regulation for general EMF exposure. The International Radiation Protection Association (IRPA) recommends that the general public's exposure over 24 hours be limited to 100 FT (micro Tesla) =1 G (Gauss) .For the workplace, these recommendations are 500 FT = 5 G (for comparison, the magnetic field strength of the earth is approximately 0.05 mT =0.5 G)
---Currently, there are no recommendations or guidelines for EMF exposure in Canada.---

=The CCOH (Canadian Council of Occupational Hygienists and the ACGIH (American Conference of Governmental Industrial Hygienists) ceiling limit is 10 Gauss, and for individuals with cardiac pacemakers the limit is 1 Gauss.

=The IRPA (International Radiation Protection Association ) recommended the following limits for occupational exposure and for exposure of the general public:
Occupational:
-Whole Working Day 500 microT ( 5Gauss )
-Short Term 5.000 microT ( 50 Gauss )
General Public:
-Up to 24 hours/day 100 microT ( 1 Gauss )
-Few hours/day 1.000 microT (10 Gauss )

=In the U.K., the National Radiological Protection Board also set exposure guidelines for ELF (extremely low frequencies- below 300 Hertz) for occupational exposures and for the general public: 2000 microT ( 20 Gauss).

=The MRI (Magnetic Resonance Imaging) which is a noninvasive medical imaging technique that uses the interaction between radio frequency pulses, defines the safe level of magnetic field: the 5 Gauss limit.

=The NIEHS USA (The National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences) believes that the probability that ELF-EMF exposure is truly a health hazard is currently small. The scientific evidence suggesting that ELF EMF exposures pose any health risk is weak.

=The FDA ( USA Federal Food and Drug Administration ): has no control over magnetic therapy because the magnets are not advertised as medical devices. Without government clearance, proponents can legally make no direct health claims about magnetic therapy.

=Federal Governments (USA & Canada) and the Consumer Affairs Agencies of the State unfortunately are not yet governing the Biomagnetic manufacturers to use scientific terms and conditions in fair advertising.

-------------Without government clearance, proponents can legally make no direct health claims about magnetic therapy. --------------

** Originally posted by Dulane **

Is this treatment hard to find? Do most bigger cities offer it? Actually I just did a search and it is available in Seattle at a sports injury clinic.

Granny, how often did you go for therapy?

I don't know anything about it, but it sounds very interesting.

I used one of the Hulda Clarke Zappers last year to help kill off candida, but I don't think that magnetics played a big part in the Zappers. They give off a low intensity positive charge, and all the viral and fungal beasties in our system are mostly negatively charged...so they die off or at least die back.

I wish there was more medical research in that area too. I know my candida situation improved....but I was attacking it from all sides with herbs and diet too.
:)

Hi sznicolas,
So what is the connection between magnetic therapy and psoriasis? Is there some specific electro magnetic device that targets the genes, t-cells, cytokines or other contributor to the psoriatic condition?
Has there been evidence of psoriatics improving after undergoing EKG, EEG, EMG or MEGs, a lot of times these types of treatments are discovered quite by accident and you seem to be indicating that these types of procedures might provide some benefits, and I am just curious if there is any evidence to this effect.
This could be an interesting alternative, but so far there does not seem to be any supporting evidence, even anecdotal, to connect magnetic therapy as a possible treatment for Psoriasis.

** Originally posted by grannyfranny **

Dulane,,,,,,I went 5 days a week for 2 weeks then backed off to 3 times a week. It's been a long time--82-83,,,I don't remember how many weeks I went.
It is supposed to help with healing and pain. My hands totally cleared and were clear until I tried Enbrel. About 20 years later,,,,,,

The NFL use the Accuscope in their training rooms,,,,,,Craig Morton was part owner at the physical therapy place I went to.

I would do it again but it's expensive and ins will not cover it because it is not approved by the FDA for p.

This article suggests that the Accuscope is a type of TENS (Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulation) device. Here is a link to the full article >>>Equine Electro-Acuscope Therapy - a little known therapy, used in humans as well as equines<<< I am not sure how or why this therapy would make a psoriatic clear, but then again it is not wise to look a gift horse in the mouth. Here is a quote "The Electro-Acuscope does not heal. It helps the body to heal itself by stimulating the supply of blood and oxygen to the involved area. It does not involve the use of drugs or needles and is effective in the treatment of many types of tissue damage. It is particularly useful in the treatment of swelling, inflammation, and soreness."
The article also states that "The Electro-Acuscope is an FDA approved machine which has been used on humans for a number of years.", so I am guessing that in order to get insurance to cover treatments, the treatment would need to be for pain or inflamation rather than PS.
LOL I just spread 10 yards of mulch today and my back is killing me!

A CONTROVERSIAL DEVICE IN THE FIGHT AGAINST DEPRESSION

Donna Halfhill says a controversial electronic implant turned her life
around by sending electrical impulses into her brain."I feel like I'm
Donna again," she says. "I feel like I've got my personality back, the
one I had before this all started."
Des Moines Register
http://desmoinesregister.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060409/LIFE02/604 090347/1042

Psoriatic Arthritis ( and rheumatoid arthritis) is a autoimmune disease and is often seen in combination with skin that is dry, scaly, thick, and inflamed ( namely: psoriatic skin lesions), swelling of the joints, joint stiffness(in the morning), changes in the nails..... The same tumor necrosis factor (TNF), mentioned before, is highly responsible for causing these signs and symptoms.
Everyone needs TNF for their immune system to protect their body against infection or the effects of injury, but people with dry-skin, psoriasis, psoriatic arthritis have not normally increased levels of TNF both in their joints and affected skin areas.
The false signals sending by second messengers, controlling the rate at which cells divide, increasing or decreasing cell proliferation. Because levels of cyclic AMP take the bearings of TNF levels, individuals with dry-skin, psoriasis, psoriatic arthritis must know a thing or two about cyclic AMP: cyclic AMP is produced in the liver (attention food and drink), caffeine (coffee, tea) raises cyclic AMP levels, ELF (extremely low frequency) pulsating and weak electromagnetic fields rebalancing the cyclic AMP (changing the balance between cell growth and death)…….
Trying electromagnetic-therapy, a noninvasive, drug-free form of treatment is preferable to beginning a new medication, even if we know, that the effects of magnetic fields on body tissues are complex and appear to vary from person to person and from different intensities and duration of the magnetic field applied. For this reason the researchers have postulated a “window effect,” in which these responses may only be initiated at a unique combination of frequency, intensity, and polarity relative to the Earth’s magnetic field.
Take control of your health!!: Psoriatic arthritis can cause inflammation in body tissues away from the joints other than the skin, such as in the eyes, heart, lungs, and kidneys, and rarely, the aorta.
Basic Precautions: anyone experiencing health problems should consult a health care professional, even using a weak EMF.......do not use electro-magnets during pregnancy, or while wearing a pacemaker or other electronic implant, and while using transdermal patches……….

** Originally posted by GitOverIt **

I noticed in one of my medical newsletters a blurb on this....psoriasis is not mentioned of itself but then I've often heard or read that a symtom is not the disease....and that there is only one disease (dissention) of the body with varying symtoms of the organs, skin etc. and all given different names! It's an interesting theory!

here is the article I read today:
a question posed by a reader!!!!

Q: My wife has a severe case of diabetic neuropathy. Any advice on this topic would be appreciated.

JVW: Your wife might be very interested in a breakthrough therapy called MME (Magnetic Molecular Energizer). The MME operates somewhat like an MRI as they both use strong DC electromagnetic fields. However, an MRI receives resonating electromagnetic fields generated from the body due to a radio frequency input. This signal then creates an image. The MME applies DC electromagnetic fields to the body to treat various conditions. It is particularly effective for diabetic neuropathy.

To find an MME center nearest you, contact the Advanced Magnetic Research Institute (AMRI) International at (800)265-1119 or visit http://www.amri-wa.com. You can also read more about this therapy below, as well as in the April 2004 issue of Nutrition & Healing. Subscribers can download and view this issue for free by visiting http://www.wrightnewsletter.com and logging on with the username and password listed on page 8 of your most recent issue.

What is...a Magnetic Molecular Energizer?

MME applies direct-current electromagnetic fields to the body through two strong electromagnets. Patients lie on an open bed between the two magnets and the magnetic fields. The electromagnetic fields interact with the body's electrons in atoms at the cellular level. As the electrons on these atoms move faster the result is enhanced electron transfer, which is thought to speed healing.

Case studies have shown that Parkinson's disease, cerebral palsy, congestive heart failure, stroke, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, diabetic neuropathy, and chronic non-healing injuries can be significantly improved with therapy utilizing the magnetic molecular energizer (MME) machine. During MME, all the body's processes become heightened: Tissues regenerate more rapidly; oxygen is carried throughout the body faster and more efficiently; nutrients and supplements are processed more quickly and effectively; and waste is removed faster. The time it takes to heal is shortened. Even injuries that have remained unchanged for years have the potential to be repaired to the point where function can be restored.

OK Tim (Nesielheum), here is what worked for me.
As I don’t want to make people read over all this info unless they are interested, I will start a new thread where I will put up my experiences as well as where to find a similar device that I used to clear up my PA, DS(Dry-Skin) and most of my P.
The new thread is called : “Finally PA, DS and P clearing up after fifty years”
For those of you who want more info, please check out that thread. I will also answer questions on that thread.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support the National Psoriasis Foundation

Help the National Psoriasis Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the National Psoriasis Foundation

Discussion topics

Additional resources

Community leaders