Psoriasis and knee replacement surgery

** Originally posted by sjreis **

My PA is quite bad and even though I a only 42, I am needing both of my knees replaced. I can no longer walk more than a block at a time and cannot even go to the grocery store for my family. My ortho has agreed that the damage to my knee joints is very extensive and I need to have total knee replacements.

Here's the problem.....I have pretty bad psoriasis on my knees and the dr. does not want to cut through it. He says it puts me at a great risk for infection. Has anyone on here has this problem or had the surgery even though there is psoriasis on the knees? Please help.....I really can't wait much longer and I'm at a breaking point. I currently take Enbrel and do light treatments which helps the psoriasis, but does not eliviate it altogether.

ANYONE?

2 replies. Join the discussion

** Originally posted by mstaylor **

Wow, I don't know what to say to what your Doctor told you. I had Gallbladder surgery when my stomach was completely covered with Psoriasis. My surgeon wasn't concerned at all when I asked about cutting through all that plaque. He said it's not a problem. That was over a year ago and everything appears to have healed well. Of course a knee replacement is much more extensive than Laparoscopic surgery with only small incisions but I would think that being it's done under sterile conditions I can't think how the psoriasis would increase the chance of infection, with any surgery there is always that chance even with normal skin. Maybe someone will come along that's had that type of procedure done and has more first hand information than I do. Good luck to you.

** Originally posted by kellyrn **

Being an orthopedic nurse, I can tell you that I have seen many patients with p over the years. I think you should see another ortho and get a second opinion.
You run the risk of infection, period. Even if p does up the ante for infection (and I really don't think it does) I don't see how they would not do the surgery anyway. They should just take extra precautions. They are already doing pre and post op prophylactic antibiotic treatment anyway.
Besides, what are your choices here? No surgery, No quality of life ~ or surgery and being able to walk. Sounds like your dr is afraid for some reason. Maybe he needs to be educated on p or something. Not sure.
You really do need to see someone else.
Good luck, please let me know what happens. Even if you PM me.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support the National Psoriasis Foundation

Help the National Psoriasis Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the National Psoriasis Foundation

Discussion topics

Additional resources

Community leaders