Psoriasis and Irritable Bowel symptoms

** Originally posted by finsfan **

I have been told by my derms that Psoriasis is an inflammatory disorder and also related to immuno something or other. Well, in the last couple of years, I had bleeding after a few bowels movements and I thought that was related to fissures. I also had more cramping and thought that was related to mushrooms when I primarily ate at Japense hibatchi restaraunts like Benihanas. Anyway, I have had two colonoscopies and no findings, none of Crohns disease or irritable bowel syndrome or coilitis.

I was wondering if any other psoriasis suffers have had bowel-related problems or been told that they also have inflammatory issues there. That is why I read that Barney's formula thread and thought that adding Flaxseed and Fish Oil supplements would kinda help both problems: psoriasis and the bowel. The Vitamin D supplement makes sense for the skin, and the Ibuprofen makes sense for both.

Thoughts, comments?

Sam

6 replies. Join the discussion

** Originally posted by MikeK **

Hi Sam,

I don't think that we've met, so let me take this opportunity to welcome you to the board. :cool: Nice to meet you!

I'm not a doctor, but, from what I've read, Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) click here), Chron's disease (click here), Celiac's disease (click here), lactose intolerance (click here) all have similar symptoms.
The only way to tell for sure if someone suffers from any of these problems is to see a gastroenterologist click here and here.

There are a number of autoimmune diseases that appear to be closely related. For example, Chron's disease and psoriasis are both autoimmune diseases. Remicade (http://www.remicade.com) was first developed and approved as a treatment for Chron's disease. Someone noticed that psoriasis patents (who also had Chron's disease) started to get better when they put on Remicade. That led to studies and clinical trials, which are still ongong. Remicade is now approved as a treatment for PA and is going through the approval process for psoriasis.

There are studies that suggest that there is a link between Celiac's disease and psoriasis in some people. Here's a link to an article,from the July/August 2004 issue of Psoriasis Advance about the possible link between psoriasis and Celiac's disease. And, here's a link to a previous discussion about psoriasis and Celiac's disease. (My response in that thread will take you to yet another discussion on the subject. Unfortunately, we haven't heard from most of the people who participated in those previous discussions in a very long time.) My understanding is that the only effective treatment for Celiac's disease is to avoid eating foods with gluten. According to the Celiac Sprue Association that means not eating foods with wheat, barley, rye, and oats. (They even have use an acronym -- WBRO -- to describe the foods that Celiac's should avoid.) Here's a link to the Celiac Sprue Association's website: http://www.csaceliacs.org/celiac_treatment.php. (Karen (ouchyk) tells me that one of her neighbors was diagnosed with Celiac's disease and that she had to replace all of her pots and pans, etc. because there was no effective way to remove the gluten residue from them even though they were clean! :eek: )

I hope this helps!

Mike

** Originally posted by Dulane **

It is fairly common for folks who have one auto-immune disease to have more than one.

I'd wager that almost half of us have either heartburn or another digestive issue. (I might lose that bet tho. I don't know if there are statistics.) We see our share of kidney and gall stones, too.

There was a fellow who posted about 2 weeks ago that he had frightening and undiagnosed bowel symptoms.

One thing that immediately comes to mind to me...is food allergy tests. If you think mushrooms are an irritant to you, I'd probably avoid them...if I was you. Mike's suggestion to follow-up on Celiac disease is a good one, too.

Regardless, I think that cod liver oil would be a great addition since it is not only a fish oil, but a great source of Vit D.

Personally I use turmeric for an anti-inflammatory. Curcumin is a strong derivative of tumeric, and is probably better, but a bit spendier. http://www.swansonsvitamins.com is a great place to find it on-line.

I hope you solve your digestive issues.

:)

** Originally posted by finsfan **

This is one of the best forums I have posted to. So helpful. Celiac's disease? Seems like I have some reading to do. My gastro could not pinpoint what I have. Not all mushrooms cause me to have cramping - I can eat a Mushroom pizza and be fine. However, I probably should think twice on these. Anyway, it does make sense that one auto-immune disorder if you will can lead to another.

Will my Fishoil supplement do instead of the cod liver oil? I just started this afternoon the Barney formula and have had two tablets of the Fish oil and flaxseed oil (well, hours apart)

** Originally posted by bjmacc **

Hi sam, I've had similiar problems and for years i had the same issues..i couldn't pin it down...i tried everything..stopping coffee...sugar, yeast? candida?.....nothing...finally I found a solution for me anyway.

I had a bad cold or upper resp. infection some years back, took some antibiotics and waited for improvement... while sick, I think I lived on peanut butter and italian bread for days and thats when my symptoms started...I don't believe it was from the antibiotics.. I think my immune system, looking for the offending virus, erroneously developed a response to the flour gluten I had eaten.
A faulty immune response to gluten..gluten intolerance..not allergy, seemed to be the culprit..I later investigated the relationship and found it may be related to molecular mimicry which is one of the mechanisms that links infection and autoimmunity. I now eat less flour and not as often and the symptoms have disappeared..That was it.

a quote from another site..the phenomena may be related :
Some practitioners theorize that celiac disease may be triggered after infection by a type of virus that biologically resembles the proteins in gluten. After the infection, the body cannot distinguish between the invading virus and the gluten protein, and subsequently, the body reacts allergically, releasing mucous into the intestinal tract upon gluten exposure, and causing damage to the intestines.

The problem Sam is that flour (gluten) is in almost everything. If you try for a few days or a week cutting out bread, foods etc with flour it also may be what's bothering you.. I still eat bread and pasta maybe once a week...oatmeal(no gluten) rather then toast or cereal in the morning...I eat other flour products but not as often, and in smaller servings...also, the D3 seems to temper the immune response..so as your D levels increase it doesn't bother you as much. Ultimately the immune memory cells may die off without being restimulated by repeated gluten exposure resulting in reduced intolerance...an gimme another slice of pizza!

my slant...

bj

** Originally posted by Dulane **

Yes, you should use your fish oil first, and consider cod liver oil next. Unfortunately, you might still have P when your fish oil bottle is empty.

This is my take on why most of us have P.

As we age and our bodies change, many people learn that some foods don't digest as well as they used to. In old folks homes and hospitals, people are on all kinds of limited diets.

We usually start out with a great system, but things can change. Early on, most people do fine with dairy products, but many of us stop digesting diary, somewhere in the teen years. We lose the enzyme lactase in our intestine, that digests the protein in milk, lactose. Gastric disturbances can follow, which can be very problematic. As much as 75% of the world's population becomes lactose intolerant by their teen years. Lactase products are available and can be given to people who have the condition, so they can continue to enjoy dairy products.

In a similar fashion, some of us lose the ability to make the enzyme amylase, which is needed to digest the protein in gluten. Worldwide there aren't near as many people who are allergic wheat, luckily. But many of us are gluten sensitive! Unfortunately, the symptoms of gluten intolerance are much graver than the lactose intolerance. Severe and recurring stomach cramping, malabsorbtion, non-specific muscle and joint pain, tingling or lack of sensation in extremities are just some of the symptoms.

There does appear to be an enzyme that has been found to help people who are intolerant...but maybe not for all of those who are truly allergic:
http://www.the-aps.org/press/journal/06/13.htm

Regardless...taking digestive enzymes that supplement our digestive process at meal time has been very beneficial for many people with psoriasis and other auto-immune diseases that affect the digestive system.

Both dairy and wheat intolerances are very disturbing to the stomach and bowel. We cannot suffer these conditions for any length of time without losing many of the nutrients we are eating in the process. If you aren't digesting well, you aren't absorbing your food.

When your stomach is inflamed, a condtion called intestinal permeability can result, where undigested food molecules (and other irritants including bacteria) can leak from the stomach into the blood supply. When that happens, our body actually recognizes the food molecules as the enemy. The immune system decides that food needs to be carried out of the system, accompanied by white blood cells. This attack process is where the inflammation comes from. But soon, your body is seeing perfectly good foods as the enemy.

So...being kind to your digestive system is critical. Avoiding foods that give us grief is primary. Giving your system back some digestive enzymes is very helpful. Soothing herbs and teas are very good, like slippery elm, which helps heal and rebuild the mucous lining in the stomach.

If we give our bodies a time out from foods that are inflammatory, we should be able to expect to see a decrease in the inflammatory skin process. As our stomach heals and resumes making enzymes, we should eventually be able to start adding some foods back later that are hard on us now.

As a disqualifier...there are other causes for psoriasis than my description above. Infection still plays a large part. Our poor immune systems must be hypervigilant.

I hope this is helpful.

:)

** Originally posted by downandout **

I am going to start taking some digestive enzymes. But first, I have to go to the crapper. LOL!!!!!

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support the National Psoriasis Foundation

Help the National Psoriasis Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the National Psoriasis Foundation

Discussion topics

Additional resources

Community leaders