Psoriasis & Beta Blockers

Just got back from seeing my new cardio today he took just one look at my psoriasis and said you shouldn't be on bata blockers with psoriasis , I told him I've been trying to get off of them for ten years now but know one would listen , he said it's a known fact beta blockers and psoriasis don't mix, He then turned to his student dr. and said remember this and what this man looks like with psoriasis.I've been waiting for this for a long time.

He also mentioned that sleep apnea my be part of the problem with psoriasis,Body is not getting enough rest for healing.

I hope this really helps !

6 replies. Join the discussion

There was a huge study over 10 yrs with 36,000+ patients that concludes there is no connection:

"Methods We conducted a case–control analysis on the U.K.-based General Practice Research Database. We identified cases with an incident psoriasis diagnosis between 1994 and 2005 and matched them to one control patient on age, sex, general practice, calendar time (same index date) and years of history in the database."

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1365-2133.2008.08563.x/abstrac t;jsessionid=2215059E6BB0BFA9C2F4EAC1E45EF98E.d03t03

I have also read some studies from Swiss med journal regarding sleep apnea and P.

I am going to go ahead and say that both of those things are likely true. Reduced sleep (due to sleep apnea) will have an effect on basically any disease state that you can think of including psoriasis.

While the study posted by Willymon DID prove that there is no connection between beta-blockers and developing psoriasis, it is still generally accepted that beta blockers may exacerbate EXISTING psoriasis, so it is not a bad idea to be taken off of beta blocker therapy if you have psoriasis.

Per webmd , Who should not take Toprol XL Oral?http://www.webmd.com/drugs/drug-9548-Toprol+XL+Oral.aspx?drugid=9548&drugna me=Toprol+XL+Oral&source=2&pagenumber=5

Check with your physician if you have any of the following:

Conditions:

Depression, Myasthenia Gravis, Anaphylactic Shock due to Allergy Shots, Peripheral Arterial Occlusive Disease, First Degree Atrioventricular Heart Block, Poor Metabolizer due to Cytochrome p450 CYP2D6 Variant, Complete Heart Block, Second Degree Atrioventricular Heart Block, Sick Sinus Syndrome, Sinus Bradycardia, Suddenly Serious Symptoms of Heart Failure, Occasional Numbness, Prickling, or Tingling of Fingers and Toes, Peripheral Vascular Disease, Abnormally Low Blood Pressure, Asthma Attack, Bronchospasm, Liver Problems, Psoriasis, Blood Circulation Failure due to Serious Heart Condition, Pregnancy, Tumor of Adrenal Gland Causing High Blood Pressure, Diabetes, Low Blood Sugar

I've been on a beta blocker for about 6 months and have seen no connection to it and my psoriasis. Although, I did start my Humira like a month or two after starting the beta blocker.

I had psoriasis before I died..had it after. Been on a beta blocker since then with no issues.

I figured the study I posted with 36,000 patients over 10 yrs might have covered it.

If it came down to a beta blocker to keep my heart in check..or not taking it to keep my psoriasis under control..pffft.

But the beta blocker doesn't affect my P at all.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support the National Psoriasis Foundation

Help the National Psoriasis Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the National Psoriasis Foundation

Discussion topics

Additional resources

Community leaders