Progesterone and Psoriasis

** Originally posted by starwarsmum **

Hi,

I am considering starting on very low-dose progesterone (from an UID - so the amount is quite minimal), but I'm wondering how it will affect my skin. I had great skin during pregnancy but had a tough time while nursing. This year so far has been the worst that my skin has ever been, so I'm scared to do anything that could make it worse!

Thanks,
Amy

7 replies. Join the discussion

** Originally posted by BrianH **

Hi,

I am considering starting on very low-dose progesterone (from an UID - so the amount is quite minimal), but I'm wondering how it will affect my skin. I had great skin during pregnancy but had a tough time while nursing. This year so far has been the worst that my skin has ever been, so I'm scared to do anything that could make it worse!

Thanks,
Amy

I have had p for about 40 years. My earliest treatments were in the shin area, UV therapy. Worked, but left discolored patches. Betnovate and later milder corticosteroids worked. After a few years (decades) of absence, it flared up again, this time elbows, knuckles, feet.

But I cleared it again, except for patchy flare-ups, fairly easily handled. With a totally non-toxic topical.

Georgia U. Med. School reported research showing glycerin/glycerol USP (pure) worked, a few years ago. I have used it since, and been very happy with the results. Up to 3X per day, till it clears, and periodically when it starts up again. VERY cheap, about $3 a cup in drugstores. (Can also be taken orally, according to the study. But it's a mild laxative, so be prepared! I'd suggest mixing tsp/cup with juice or water.) You will feel results within 10-15 minutes, see some within an hour or two, and it just gets better from there.

I've used it for any and every kind of skin flare up and any inflammation, even sore throat (tastes sweet). Works like a charm. (Also, it's an instant topical antibacterial agent; it's a dessicant, and sucks the water out of bacteria in a flash. Works on halitosis bacteria; swish a sip around on the back of your tongue and swallow. Instant results.) (It's the real active ingredient in most moisturizers. It opens the skin cells and transports whatever is mixed with it, especially water. 1:3 with water is a safe hi-power moisturizer.) It also cleared up a largish patch of acne rosacea on the back of my neck that I'd had since youth. No sign of it now.

I promise you, once you try it, you'll never leave or stay home without it.

P.S. I suggested it to someone taking prednizone for r. arthritis. She reports that it has rethickened and returned flexibility to her skin. She is VERY happy.

** Originally posted by DottieD **

Hi Brian - welcome to the group and thanks for the tip about glycrin/glycerol. There have been some posts about glycerin soaps in the past, and yours is a great addition. There will probably be a run on glycerin/glycerol at drugs stores shortly!!
DottieD

** Originally posted by northerngal **

Hi,

Thanks,
Amy

Amy -

That's a great question. There have been some studies done that seem to indicate that changes in hormone levels may contribute to some P conditions. These seem to suggest that this can occur in adolesence.

I've asked my doctors the same question as I was on HRT and then stopped using the med's due to the terror regarding their use that suddenly sprung up in the media. Curiously, I had my first outbreak of P ever in my life at the age of 43. I'm now back on the HRT.

If nothing else (P aside) there are many women that report that HRT does improve their overall skin appearance.

Speak with your doctor as there are 2 base types of prog. available. One is based on animal extracts, the other mineral. My Mom and I were both on prog (gawd, I can't believe I just typed that *ugh) and one night we were taking our med's and realized they were different. I had the mineral base, she the animal. She switched to mine :) I was on Prometrium.

** Originally posted by TCNZ **

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Progesterone

"Other systems....

It acts as an antiinflammatory agent and regulates the immune response. ...."..

http://www.progesteronetherapy.com/

"...Progesterone and psoriasis

We have had people reporting their psoriasis is better when using progesterone. It has many properties which indicate it should help. Psoriasis is believed ..."...

http://www.progesteronetherapy.com/progesterone-and-psoriasis.html

".....progesterone has immunosuppressive properties, it inhibits the Th1 cytokine response leading to inflammation and stimulates IL-10 which is anti-inflammatory. "....

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20070610151458AAodt54

"....Search the web for “natural progesterone psoriasis” and you will find many pages read and carefully select.

This is from John Lee's book ... menopause (1st one on the list below)

"patients with psoriasis( an normally intractable skin disorder characterised by red scaly patches) have reported impressive remissions of the condition when progesterone cream was applied. In some cases psoriatic skin lesions that had been present for many years cleared completely..'".....

** Originally posted by Islay **

This is really interesting to me - I had a Mirena IUD insterted at the start of December last year as a treatment for Endometriosis so if that contributes at all it would be great.

** Originally posted by TCNZ **

http://www.mirena.co.nz/cmi.htm

"...What is MIRENA used for and how does it work....

"...MIRENA is a T-shaped intrauterine system (IUS) which after insertion releases the hormone levonorgestrel into the womb.

"....The vertical part of the "T" contains a hormone, levonorgestrel, which is similar to a hormone that you make in your body. Levonorgestrel belongs to the family of hormones called progestogens.....".....

From what I have read, the sort of PROGESTERONE that helps us P-eople must be "Bio-Identical Progesterone", NOT "Progetogens"!!!

Progestogens, which are synthetic matters, will do no good to P......

** Originally posted by Islay **

Thanks TCNZ. I had a dermo appt yesterday and asked him about this and he said that the quantity would be too small and because it doesn't get into the blood stream that it was unlikely to have any effect on the p, but he did go on to say that if I was someone who was affected by hormonal changes during the cycle, then I would probably benefit simply because there would be no hormonal fluctuations during my cycles while the mirena was effective.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support the National Psoriasis Foundation

Help the National Psoriasis Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the National Psoriasis Foundation

Discussion topics

Additional resources

Community leaders