Prednisone Question

** Originally posted by annisan **

Hi everybody! Could anyone provide any insight into why my dermatologist will not give me
prednisone to get me over this all over body flare? He told me it was contraindicated for
psoriasis, but yet I have heard from others that they were helped by it quickly with no negative results. Just a little confused here. Thanks for any reply. Annie

15 replies. Join the discussion

** Originally posted by nyoki **

Hi and welcome annisan. You'll get a lot info, advice and understanding on these boards. Feel free to ask any question, and I do mean any question, and there will always be someone around to help out.

The only reason I can think of is that while prednisone can work wonders on a flare, tapering off it can takes months and in some cases (like mine), you can't ever taper off. So, basically I've been on maintenance doses of prednisone for years. Every time I try to wean off, even in the tiniest amounts, I flare.

** Originally posted by Mourningdove **

You might want to ask for a second opinion. I have used 2 dermatologists and they both prescribed prednisone at some point. It can be a wonderful drug for getting through a flare. You must follow directions very carefully. Don't attempt any variance from what you are told for doseage.

** Originally posted by DottieD **

I had a guttate outbreak as a result of a chemo med, and the oncologist prescribed a Medrol pack, saying she thought that would clear me up. The pack is a 7 day program of prednisolone where you start with 7 pills/day (I think) and taper down. My psoriasis didn't get any better or worse, but after I finished taking the pills, I got more broken out than ever. It didn't work for me.
DottieD

** Originally posted by kaitlinmarie35 **

Prednisone causes my scalp psoriasis to flare-up like nobody's business! I have had it prescribed to me twice, by doctors at my college medical center. Both times it was because I had extremely painful erthrodermic/guttate/plaque psoriasis outbreaks on my face and the doctors had no idea what was causing my "face to fall off." In each instance, I saw a mild reduction in the symptoms on my face, but not anything great, and then had horrendous scalp flares.

I now avoid prednisone like the plague, as I know it will do more damage than good.

** Originally posted by partial **

The side effects of using prednisone over anything more than a very short term are bad. (I was once prescribed two weeks worth for what was diagnosed as a sinus infection that would not go away, so the "doctor" said to use prednisone for a few weeks to see if it was an allergy. I read the inserts and researched it/talked with people who were on it long term and.....no thanks. The diagnosed sinus infection turned out to be a pinched nerve from a neck injury).

I had an allergic reaction to an antibiotic that was pretty bad. I had one area of my body that had any p at the time (a one inch by inch "bad" plaque spot on my rib area, along with a couple other very minor spots in the same region). One of the things I got for the allergic reaction was a nice shot of steriods.

It almost completely cleared the p spotsd......for about two weeks, then it went crazy and withing a few mor weeks I had 50+ percent coverage over my whole body.

The derm said that it was possible that it was a rebound flare up from the prednisone shot, among other possibilities.

I would seriously look into it further, and do some more research if you really want to try prednisone.

** Originally posted by zenfor **

I had a sinus blockage and the Ear, Nose and Throat doctor prescribed it which cleared up my sinus and my mild case of P.

After I stopped taking it, I had a huge flareup and my dermatologist who specializes in P, said never to take it again as it causes some to be hospitalized and could cause death.

** Originally posted by Mourningdove **

Prednisone save me twice during a full body flare. Right now I am very much under control and have been for 6 months. I am very, very thankful for the drug. I think everyone just has to think for themselves on whether or not it may help them and take the advice of their doctor. It helped me tremendously. I have a prescription of this drug that I carry with me (my doctor's suggestion) when I travel just in case I ever need it again.

** Originally posted by accessn12 **

I was given an injection of Kenalog 60 during a recovery stage. It did wonders for about 5 weeks. When it wore off, I had a horrendous flare like I've never had in my life. I've been battling that flare for 2mos now. I am never touching systemic corticosteroids again.

I also took prednisone for 2 years about 25yrs ago for an unknown type of inflammatory arthritis probably about 10 years or so before I had any signs of p on my skin. My endocrinologist said that it's one of the main reasons I have early osteoporosis. That's another thing you need to think about.

** Originally posted by willbesweet4u **

I was on this drug after having a major flare to Chantix (the stop smoking drug). Weird part of this was I didn't start flaring until the day after I stopped taking chantix, because I had stopped smoking. No smoking for 1 day and no Chantix! The Dr. gave me this at a lower dose, went to a derm and he put me on a higher dose and made me go off it slowly. Around here it takes about 4 months to get in to see a derm and when you have an appt it can take 1 hour after your scheduled time to get in! Anyhow, I cleared when I was on the Predisone within a couple days. It cleared my nails for about 6 months or more (which was god sent). Other than feeling wound up tighter than an 8 day clock, it wasn't that bad for me, but like everyone, we all react differently. I wouldn't suggest being on this drug though. IMO this drug has more risk than benifits.

Hi Everybody, Thanks for all your replies and stories. I must admit I am more confused than ever now, but it goes to show me the closer I get to answers the more questions pop up. I'll tell you the Chantrix story scares me, I was/am? going to try and get on this drug to quit smoking. I have been advised that right now (meaning right this moment) may not be the best time to attempt to quit. Quitting alcohol completely was traumatic enough, now to give up my little friends (I know they are bad little friends) in the midst of this major flare, what is happening to me crisis, is just a set up for failure. I am a major addict and allergic to Wellbutrin, this Chantrix drug sounded hopeful for me. Thank you everyone, keep your stories coming. Love, Annie

** Originally posted by nyoki **

Chantix was horrible for me. I actually had to have hubby pull over more than once, while driving, because I had to throw up. Every time I was in a moving vehicle I got sick. Needless to say, I'm still smoking. :(

Prednisone save me twice during a full body flare. Right now I am very much under control and have been for 6 months. I am very, very thankful for the drug. I think everyone just has to think for themselves on whether or not it may help them and take the advice of their doctor. It helped me tremendously. I have a prescription of this drug that I carry with me (my doctor's suggestion) when I travel just in case I ever need it again.

Hi! It has been a long time since I have visited. I guess it's true what I heard once from someone somewhere, I think it went something like this?: "Yep, it's amazing the amount of people that suddenly disappear once they get clear"(re: the boards and forums. Trying to control an escalation of current little flare and this is the type of psoriasis I have. I have not found a whole lot of `focus' on this type of breakout, and hence topicals are not made for us. My current dermatologist is against prednisone to control flares, but I truly wonder, I have heard good and bad. May all be clear, may all be clear, may all be clear! Love, annie

** Originally posted by CurrentlyBummed **

Chantix was horrible for me. I actually had to have hubby pull over more than once, while driving, because I had to throw up. Every time I was in a moving vehicle I got sick. Needless to say, I'm still smoking. :(

my mom had a horrible response to chantix. she got beyond suicidal out of the blue and was very nauseaous like you. needless to say we got her off it ASAP.

and shes stilll smoking.

glad i never picked up the habit aside from occasionally lighting one up when drinking.

** Originally posted by stanberry **

I took prednisone and it was WONDERFUL! However one I got off, I was WAY worse than before.

After no other Drs could help me, I am now seeing a Vanderbilt university Dr. He is super smart and has taught all over and is really knowledgeable about this disease.

He warned me that taking Presdnisone can cause your regular posrisis to change to the pustular type. He stated that thaking this and having porsisis could be FATAL!

Please if you are thinking about taking this med, you really need to think about it. A second opinion may not be helpful, as I have found EVER Dr in my town is not knowledgeable enough about the disease to prescribe it. Personally I feel, any Dr that gives this med, you should RUN the other way.

I know all meds have side effects and they even say they are sometimes fatal, but my DR has seen regular P change to the VERY SERIOUS type due to the prednisone.

** Originally posted by CurrentlyBummed **

I took prednisone and it was WONDERFUL! However one I got off, I was WAY worse than before.

Same here. Darn it! It's so good when you're on it.

He warned me that taking Presdnisone can cause your regular posrisis to change to the pustular type. He stated that thaking this and having porsisis could be FATAL!

I know all meds have side effects and they even say they are sometimes fatal, but my DR has seen regular P change to the VERY SERIOUS type due to the prednisone.

If you've received your "welcome kit" from the NPF (which I just finally got around to reading), it actually talks about this fact in the introductory brochure.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support the National Psoriasis Foundation

Help the National Psoriasis Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the National Psoriasis Foundation

Discussion topics

Additional resources

Community leaders