Prednisone/ Fluocinonide Cream, .05%

** Originally posted by pminear **

I was just prescribed these medications yesterday for my ppp flare up. Prednisone tablet form, fluocinonide cream. Has anyone else had experience w/ these drugs, and if so, your experience (good or bad or indifferent)? Thanks for any info.

16 replies. Join the discussion

** Originally posted by khorath **

I have never used prednisone, but I have used fluocinonide. However, I used the ointment instead of the cream. I seem to do better with ointments - the greasier the better!

If I remember right, fluocinonide is a mid to high potency steriod. It never did "clear" me, but it did help keep it somewhat under control. I believe I used it as a "step down" ointment from one of the more potent ones (i.e. temovate). It was OK, but didn't do wonders for me.

** Originally posted by LottieBay **

That was the first cream my Dr. prescribed when this last flare started. I had some luck with it removing plaques, but not clearing, I stopped using it when I ran out, didn't get it refilled, and before I got back to the Dr I had flared so bad we decided to try something else. He changed to Betamethazon Diproprionate cream 0.05%. That might have worked if I had been persistant about application. It started clearing me and I started slacking off on the twice a day thing. I really Flared!!! so I tapered it off, alternating with a moisturizer. Now I'm waiting for my appointment on the 11th to talk to a rehumy/internist who's name I got from the referal here at NPF.

Margaret

** Originally posted by LakotaWolf **

I was given predisone for tennis elbow. It initially helped my p but once I was off of the predisone I had a major flare up. My Derm. was very upset. He told me that you never give a person with p predisone. But that's just my doctor.

I'm new here. I found this site doing research on MTX. I start on it on the 8th. I am very hopful that I'll have some clearing. I have it over 90 % of my body. Predisone helped me get so bad. I had been semi controlling it with creams and the tanning bed prior to that.

** Originally posted by LakotaWolf **

I was given predisone for tennis elbow. It initially helped my p but once I was off of the predisone I had a major flare up. My Derm. was very upset. He told me that you never give a person with p predisone. But that's just my doctor.

I'm new here. I found this site doing research on MTX. I start on it on the 8th. I am very hopful that I'll have some clearing. I have it over 90 % of my body. Predisone helped me get so bad. I had been semi controlling it with creams and the tanning bed prior to that.

** Originally posted by LottieBay **

Welcome LakotaWolf!............Great folks here!

** Originally posted by tiffanyfig **

A GP gave me prednisone once thinking it would help my P. It cleared up right away and then flared so badly that it took a year to get clear again. My current derm (who I was referred to after getting in such bad shape) has told me never to take steroids or have them injected unless I'm on my death bed and need them to live. I know that sounds harsh, but she's apparently had patients hospitalized after taking steroids for other problems.

There are people who are prescribed steroids for their psoriasis, but it is my understanding that they never abruptly stop taking them and are weaned off slowly to avoid rebounding. I'm sure someone here can explain how that's done. As for the fluocinonide, it's good stuff, but again taper off your usage to avoid rebound.

Thanks for all the info. My derm did set up a "weaning off" regimen, but I'm a little skeptical of this after reading some of the above posts. Hopefully, my experience will be different......

** Originally posted by FlakeyMatt **

This is the important thing about Prednisone: Dermy's can use it to get your P under control BUT you can NOT take it forever.

It is VITAL that your Doc STAGES YOU DOWN OFF OF IT. In other words you take ie:15 mg for several weeks then 12.5 for several weeks ect ect until you are no longer using it. If you do not do this you will suffer the flare ups others have mentioned.

Good Luck. FlaketMatt

** Originally posted by chaimFL **

Prednisone is used to treat very serious types of p, one of which is ppp. It helps if your doctor slowly lowers your doses of prednisone instead if just stopping because of the potential flare. I have a friend with severe p who was on prednisone and was very slowly weaned off and say very little flare at the end. As far as Fluocininide, I used it for some time with great success until I needed stronger steriods as the p became more stuborn. Your doctor is probably giving you the Fluocininide to help the prednisone a little.

Thanks again, everybody. I am going to be out of the office the next couple of days, but please feel free to continue posting replies- I appreciate them all.

** Originally posted by mda3273 **

I have used both of these treatments and the results were disastrous, esp. with the prednisone. I had a particularly bad flare and was taken to the emergency room. The on-call Dr. tried to get in touch with my derm, but my derm was out of town. So the on-call Dr. gave me prednisone. It controlled the flare, and by the time I went in to see the derm, he got upset and just told me stop the prednisone. My p came back w/ a vengeance! I was invalid for about a month and my mom had to rent a wheelchair just so I could get around our apartment. It was horrible. Like LakotaWolf's derm said, a person with p should never be given prednisone.

** Originally posted by GitOverIt **

Anyone seen Jerry Lewis lately? He's on prednisone for his life!
Don't know which is worse...P or having to go through what he's going through......but he has no choice

THE PERSON WHO SAYS IT CAN'T BE DONE.......
SHOULD NOT INTERUPT THE PERSON DOING IT!!! Chineseproverb

Wow! I have four more days of the prednisone to take and after reading the above posts will be glad to be done w/ it but hoping it doesn't trigger a flare!!!

** Originally posted by michelem **

I have just been perscribed fluocinonide cream as well. It hasnt gotten any better or soothed the itching.

Mine has improved, after about a week. Finally starting to see some clearing. Good luck!

** Originally posted by michelem **

Mine is clearing too! Thanks for the encouragement :p

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support the National Psoriasis Foundation

Help the National Psoriasis Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the National Psoriasis Foundation

Discussion topics

Additional resources

Community leaders