PPPP / Chest and Back Pain / Biotin and Probiotics

** Originally posted by SuzanneT **

Has anyone else read this article?

http://www3.ocn.ne.jp/~hpps/english/english.html

This person talks about treating PPPP with Biotin and probiotics. When I read the part about the chest pain, I immediately thought of Cindy and her rib pain. And I have had neck/shoulder pain for years.

Has anyone tried this? I think it could only help, it sure can't hurt! I picked up a bottle of Biotin at Walmart today (less than $2) and I already have probiotics.

There are a lot of medical terms that I don't understand, like sternocostoculavicular hyperostosis" and the article was a bit difficult to understand as it was obviously translated, but I thought it was very interesting.

9 replies. Join the discussion

Wow, I just found another article - it was really hard to get this to load on my computer, I had to install Japanese fonts, so I took a screenshot of the PDF, here's the link http://www.vic-japan.gr.jp/vic/106/106e.pdf

Karen, I smoked for years......... I hate to even admit it, but about 3 packs a day. I quit many years ago.

Forget the blood test, I just popped open that bottle of biotin, and I'm starting tonight!! 9mg is a pretty huge dose, but everything I'm reading indicates that it's quite safe, so I'll try a small dose tonite and work up to the 9mg.

** Originally posted by UKGirl **

Hi guys

I read this article a while ago too. I smoked quite heavily for about 6 years but has been given up for about 4 years when my pppp started... Still I wonder if there is a link there. I have been taking biotin for about a month so see what happens. It says 300ug on the bottle. I have so say it doesnt seem to be having much of an effect. I dont remember to take it every day though...

UK girl, how much were you taking? This would amount to 9 pills a day!

** Originally posted by Dulane **

Very good info here! This hopeful!

I don't have PPP, but I have had a long-term battle with candida. This info is right up my alley.

With PPP...you know it isn't a 'skin' condition. There is something inside that wants out.

And this really makes you think about the malabsorbtion issue. Even if you are eating the right nutrients...it doesn't mean that they are being digested well.

I think that is why...when people are very ill and they decide to change their diets or take supplements...it can take a long time for the external improvements to happen...because your stomach lining has to heal first to keep the fungus/by-products out of the blood stream. That's why I hope people will try diet change for longer than just a couple of weeks.

The other interesting thing...is that Granny...who has done well with keflex...can't use yogurt. For her...this wouldn't work.

Nonetheless...I'm hoping you folks see improvement!

BTW - I read other studies on biotin and diabetes...and biotin used at 9 mg showed no side effects in those studies.

I've not been diagnosed with diabetes...but I sure can't eat sugar or drink alcohol...so my diet is fairly similar.

** Originally posted by JesseLou **

Biotin is vitamin B-7, part of the B-complex. Here is an explanation from PDRHealth. Pdr stands for Physician's Desk Reference, and is the reference for all kinds of prescription and over the counter drugs that doctors use.

Biotin, a member of the B-vitamin family, is an essential nutrient in human nutrition. It is involved in the biosynthesis of fatty acids, gluconeogenesis, energy production, the metabolism of the branched-chain amino acids (L-leucine, L-isoleucine, L-valine) and the de novo synthesis of purine nucleotides. Recent research indicates that biotin plays a role in gene expression, both at the transcriptional and translational levels, and that it may also play a role in DNA replication.

Biotin is widely distributed in natural foodstuffs. However, the absolute amounts of biotin in foodstuffs is relatively low when compared with the other B vitamins. Some of the better food sources of biotin, are egg yolk, liver, kidney, pancreas, milk, soya and barley. Brewer's yeast or Saccharomyces cerevisiae (see Brewer's Yeast), which is used as a nutritional supplement, is one of the richest sources of biotin, as well as the other B vitamins. Royal jelly, also used as a nutritional supplement (see Royal Jelly), is another rich source of biotin. Mammals and many plant species are unable to synthesize biotin. Biotin is synthesized by bacteria, yeast and other fungi, algae and certain plant species. In fact, the microflora of the human large intestine appear to contribute to the biotin requirements of the body.

Any time you want to find out what something is, you can usually find it with google. Sometimes you have to combine the word with definition: but there are quite a few dictionaries online, including medical terminology dictionaries, so you will get a definition.

You also have to look for a reliable source. I have found wikipedia is not reliable for medical/drug info.

** Originally posted by RichJ **

hi sue,
thank you for the links. smoking and my pp or what it is always makes me think. i have had the skin stuff as long as i can remember (some times i can't remember any thing :eek: ). i smoked some from around five till i could buy them. i used to take a pack from my uncle and my gramfather cigars and go hide and smoke them :eek: i have been smoking a long time. o and i chewed tobaco to (3 bags a day for years and 2 packs of smokes :eek: :eek: ). living on the farm is what they did. smoke and chew. i guess i just did what the aduts did. :D

have a good weekend my friend

richard

** Originally posted by mamaooch **

Has anyone else read this article?

http://www3.ocn.ne.jp/~hpps/english/english.html

This person talks about treating PPPP with Biotin and probiotics. When I read the part about the chest pain, I immediately thought of Cindy and her rib pain. And I have had neck/shoulder pain for years.

Has anyone tried this? I think it could only help, it sure can't hurt! I picked up a bottle of Biotin at Walmart today (less than $2) and I already have probiotics.

There are a lot of medical terms that I don't understand, like sternocostoculavicular hyperostosis" and the article was a bit difficult to understand as it was obviously translated, but I thought it was very interesting.

Sue,
I read the article, but I have never tried it. I take a multivitamin that my Doc recommeneded that has Biotin in it. I also eat probiotic yogurt. My main issue is the PA as the ppp is in remission right now, due to The Remicade/MTX combo I am sure. Took my weekly dose of MTX yesterday before work, went to bed last night at about 11:00pm and woke up at 12:15pm today. It really knocks me out. I also make up for the sleep i lose during the week while working. Just call me sleepy head.LOL

Here is the definition to the term you were looking for:
Sternocostoclavicular hyperostosis is a rare disease characterized by recurrent pain and skeletal swelling in the upper part of the chest. The clinical manifestations are closely linked to pustulosis palmo-plantaris but the etiology is still obscure.

Keep us posted on how it works for you!

Take Care
Cindy

Cindy, I just found an amazing article. I'm trying to figure out how to post it, as it's a pdf file. In the meantime, if you want me to send it to you, just pm me and let me know what your email is. The title of the article is "Bone and Joint Lesions associated with PPP. It is 6 pages with several sternum and rib xrays.
Sue

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support the National Psoriasis Foundation

Help the National Psoriasis Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the National Psoriasis Foundation

Discussion topics

Additional resources

Community leaders