PPP: biotin is seriously making a difference on me, worth a try?

Hi everyboy,
I suffer from a pretty severe form of palmoplantar pustulosis, also known as palmoplantar pustular psoriasis, since 2006.

I was on cyclosporine for more than two years and after a very good start the desease worsened pretty hard (after the second year).

I had pustules all the time and all over hands and feet (about 150 on a single hand), and my skin was broke and red as hell (felt like burnt!). Ok, you know what kind of hell I'm talking about.

Then I had to stop cyclosporine due to its toxicity, so I tried the narrow band without success. Cortisone would do almost nothing. Protopic would help a little, nothing major. My skin continued cracking and even bleeding.

Desperate as I was, after having heard of it for a long time without getting convinced, I decided to give the biotin - japanese thing a try.

Wtf, it is affordable and has no known side effects, I thought It really couldn't hurt.

Well, I am entering the 3rd month of oral daily assumption of a giga quantity of biotin and no, the desease isn't gone for good, but if three months ago on a scale of ten the desease was at 10, now it is at 4, even 3 sometimes I would say. Also consider that in the meanwhile I had to stop cyclosporine, so, in proportion, the actual positive effects could well be even bigger.

I would post two photos of my left hand before and after but I don't see here tools to do that, maybe it is not allowed on here.

By the way my hands are incredibly better now, and also my feet, after a rough start, have started to get better around a couple of weeks ago. Four months ago, when still on cyclosporine, I had like 150 pustules on my left hand, now I can see a couple at max. Sometimes I see more pustules, like around ten per hand, but never as formed and big as they used to be before biotin. And they don't turn red-brown at the end of the cycle. My skin is still a bit reddish, and not perfectly healed, but I haven't had a single crack in 30 days now, and this NEVER happened before. My quality of life seriously changed for the better.

Now, I was scheptikal as many of you are about this biotin thing, and I do perfectly understand you people, but I had to share my experience. I know what incredibly painful condition this is, and seriously I thought I would try to help, with no second intentions. I work in the cinema biz so I really have no interests whatsoever in biotin being sold. I also know what a placebo effect is, and how differently the desease works on each of us, so I am not saying this is the cure. What I am saying is that, given my personal experience, it definitely IS worth a try.

I would be very very very happy if I could help out even only one single person who's on this incredibly annoying desease. I’ve been there, I still am, and I so tragically hate it.

Bye everybody
Andre

75 replies. Join the discussion

How much would a giga quanties be? Did you buy it online or try health food store? Did you research the possible side effects. I am feeling a bit miserable myself and certainly willing to give some thing else a try. We live in the middle of nowhere so trip to town tomorrow and then not for another week or so. So if it can be bought at HFS then tomorrow is the day to do it.

I am using the herbal cancer tonic I had on hand. I honestly do not think it did much for my cancer but it does seem to help the pain of PsA. Was some thing discovered on the cancer list. The older dogs taking it bounced around like pups after taking the tonic for a week or so when before they had been limping around. No idea why. I just know my joints and tendons are in less pain since I have been taking it. It better br working as nasty as it tastes.

Thanks for any more information you can give.

This is from wikipedia: Hope it is ok to post here.

Palmo Plantar Pustulosis
Patients with palmoplantar pustulosis had metabolic derangements of glucose and fatty acids as well as immune dysfunction derived from biotin deficiency, which led to abnormal manifestations of skin, bone and other tissues and organs. All of the clinical, metabolic and immune disorders were improved by biotin administration. These findings indicate that biotin deficiency was implicated in the outbreak and exacerbation of the disease and its complications. Supplementary addition of a probiotic agent to the biotin treatment intensified the therapeutic effect of the vitamin. Additionally, patients with psoriasis vulgaris, systemic lupus erythematosus, atopic dermatitis or rheumatoid arthritis also had biotin deficiency with the subsequent metabolic abnormalities and immune dysfunction, and so the biotin treatment provided beneficial effects in the therapy of the diseases, as in the case of palmoplantar pustulosis.[citation needed]

There are links in the post so I recommend to go there and read it for yourself. I really would like to know how much you are taking and if it matters what a person weights. I am going to get some tomorrow to start and then order online if it is less expensive. Thanks

I tried Biotin in 2009, not sure I had taken it long enough to see any difference (PPP was small spot on left palm and small spot on side of right foot. Took Prednizone a month and when weened off my P went crazy and had many other health issues and the biotin got pushed to the back. I am going to try it again. It is what my natural P Dr. put me on for the P.

I was doing vaseline, neosporine, lanacane, and sunshine and saw some clearing for the first time since getting off the cyclesporine (took 7 months and got about 60% clear). Made a HUGE mistake in using the samples of Talconex and after using 4 days, had a MAJOR flare on hands and feet:( Then I read the insert in the box and found out that you should NEVER use on pustular P! Not sure why Dr.'s gives this out when the manufacture has this noted. Now waiting for them to clear somewhat so I can get back into the sun.

I wish we could show the before and after pics! That is something lacking on this site.

Thanks for the info!

I read all the messages and realize my complaints, in comparison , are so puny. I should be ashamed to complain ---------but here goes. I found temorary relief for my pubic area but today it gave me fits . I feel that the discomfort was from the inside. plus my ibs has been acting up .
I am not one of those people who can grin and bear it. Well, yes, I can to a point but today I have really been in a bad , ill mannered mood and I take it out on those who do not deserve it.
i have either constipation or diarrhea. I don't know what to eat to prevent these symptoms. I pad my panties with toilet paper incase I have leakage, that irritates my pubic area which gives me fits./ does anyone out there have suggestions, I hope so.

missliz, Just be sure your ibs is not some thing else. I was told I had ibs and it turned to be endometerosis.

Sometimes fiber will help. I know it kind of causes the big D at first . The vet I used to work for always said fight fire with fire when the horses got impacted or diarrhea.

The more I read on this boitin the more I am hoping it will help. And it is fine for you to whine. We are all in pain. I believe we all understand how you feel. And it is so dang exhausting.

ok time to go back to work. UGH Now I will whine. LOL

Biotin was recommed to me by my Dermatologist for my toe nails that where lifting from the ends of my toes. I was skeptical, don't have the money to buy anything so I didn't purchase it... Maybe I will re think it....

http://www3.ocn.ne.jp/~hpps/15th/palmoplantar.html

"Conclusion

Patients with palmoplantar pustulosis had metabolic derangements of glucose and fatty acids as well as immune dysfunction derived from biotin deficiency, which led to abnormal manifestations of skin, bone and other tissues and organs. All of the clinical, metabolic and immune disorders were improved by biotin administration. These findings indicate that biotin deficiency was implicated in the outbreak and exacerbation of the disease and its complications. Supplementary addition of a probiotic agent* to the biotin treatment intensified the therapeutic effect of the vitamin. Additionally, patients with psoriasis vulgaris, systemic erythematosus, atopic dermatitis or rheumatoid arthritis also had biotin deficiency with the subsequent metabolic abnormalities and immune dysfunction, and so the biotin treatment provided beneficial effects in the therapy of the diseases, as in the case of palmoplantar pustulosis."

* The probiotic agent in this article refers to Clostridium butyricum Miyairii.

I'm happy to see you getting some relief fro biotin. I too have awful oozing blisters and suffer daily.
It truly is heart breaking when any therapy stops working whether it's topical or oral.
Biotin sounds hell of lot better than Rx med side effects in my opinion.
I too have been taking biotin and I may not be taking enough. How much are you taking daily?

I truly hope this alternative therapy gives you some long term relief....

A "giga quantity" of biotin is 12mg / day and above (note: that is milligrams and not micrograms).

As for where to buy it, I found it on some online store (I won't tell you where, it is not difficult to find on the Net btw).

I have to make it clear once again that I am no doctor and that I found out about biotin on the Internet. The articles that somebody posted here are between the sources that inspired me.

I just wanted to share my positive experience with biotin after 3 months of use for my palmoplantar pustolosis.
Once again, I really think it is something everybody with PPP should try. Don't know about nails and other things, sorry. It is just doing wonders on my PPP.

Oh, and yes, if you tried biotin and stopped it after too little time or you were taking too few, I think you should give it a BETTER try. Last year I tried for a couple of weeks and with a medium quantity, and I stopped after about 15 days because I wasn't seeing any results. Now I know the period of time was too short, and the quantity was too low.

Good luck everybody.

Thank you andre64. I will give it a try. Nothing to loose for sure.

has anyone had the experience that it may be menopause that brought out my P?

While I was going through menopause I got ppp and its been 17 years now

So my trip to town was good. I was able to find the Biotin at walmart for about the same price as on amazon. I got the 10,000 which if I figured right is 10mg. One and a half tablets should do it. I also was given some advice from a friend that had psoriasis. He told me he used Cetaphil Lotion and also the body wash/skin cleaner.Another friend said her daughter with P also uses it and it really helps her. My hands and feet look shredded from so many splits. I checked and the walmart version Equate is same ingredients listed in same order and about 1/3 the cost. I bought a bottle of each to try. By the time we got home my feet were so dang painful from splits I was half sick from it. Been just doing what I had to for the rest of the day and tonight. I m really tired from the trip shopping and also company here at the house.

Good luck with that. I will keep you posted after my reflexology session today...I'm hopeful cos it's got to be cleared from the source...

yep I was considering calling my toe twister too. Having trouble wrapping my mind around his pushing on my sore feet. Suppose he can see the splits well enough to avoid them if at all possible. Time to take care of US. I usually go to him once a month. He has has great concern for my psoriasis.

Bump.
I really think everyboy with palmoplantar pustolosis should give a try to this. I really really do.
I am stable since a couple of months now, and even if the desease isn't totally gone I really am better, but REALLY better.
I started the cure 3 months ago cause I read of it on a forum. I hope everyboy with a PPP has the chance read this.

I suffered so much and I feel so much better now that yes I will take the risk of being annoying bumping old threads.

Gl everybody.

I have non-pustular PPP and tried 5 mg of biotin daily for a couple of months. It did absolutely nothing. Now would going to 10 mg per day for a longer period show positive results? Dunno. The Japanese study had patients with pustular PPP, which might be a key difference.

_Lazza

Hi everyone,
I am interested in trying biotin also...Has anyone found whether there is a reliable test we can take to determine whether we (with palmoplantar pustular psoriasis) are deficient in biotin? And can taking too much bitoin be toxic and produce bad side effects? Maybe it makes sense to start off with smaller amounts of biotion along with the probiotic Clostridium butyricum Miyairii and see if that helps? Any then increase the biotin if no results?

About me:
I just got palmoplantar pustular psoriasis about year ago WHILE I was on a biologic TNF-inhibitor to treat my 35 year old chronic plaque and guttate psoriasis. I was on the TNF-inhibitor for a little over 2 years. ....It worked fairly well for the first year and a half, but in the latter part of the second year, it became less effective for me, and my plaque/guttate psoriasis started gradually coming back, including the appearance of brand new palmoplantar pustular psoriasis which I had never had before in all of the 35 years I've had psoriasis... I have been off of the TNF-inhibitor now for about 10 months, and I am looking toward natural solutions and dietary changes instead to resolve all of my psoriasis.

Hi there,
today was taking a photo of my left hand, as I sometimes do to keep track of the desease, and confronted a today's pic with a 4 months old one. It is soooo unreal how different my hand is.
So I thought I would try to let everybody see the difference. Hope this works, I uploaded the two pics on imageshack. It is very annoying fot the ads they put on it but hey, it's just a clic away.

This is the first (4 months ago, before biotin and still on cyclosporine):
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/38/57264223.jpg/

and this is the one I shot today (in the 3rd month of biotin, no cyclo):
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/535/img0155fi.jpg/

Hope you guys can see it.

gl,
Andre

On a side note: the second pic has to be clicked on to be seen correctly, dunno why.

Please everybody seeing this, spread the word. I was going to commit suicide, now I see a light. I really really really want people with my same desease to try this. They HAVE to know, don't you think!

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support the National Psoriasis Foundation

Help the National Psoriasis Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the National Psoriasis Foundation

Discussion topics

Additional resources

Community leaders