Potent antioxidant Astaxanthin

** Originally posted by GitOverIt **

been checking out this antioxidant and thought it sounded interesting for our comp. and alt. forum...here is a quote I took from this article I'm giving as a link........

"Natural astaxanthin has three very unique properties: first of all, it's an extremely potent antioxidant. Some studies have shown over 500 times stronger than vitamin E. It's also anti-inflammatory, and third it crosses the blood-brain barrier and delivers these health benefits to the central nervous system. We've also had a study showing that oral consumption of Bioastin actually increases the skin's resistance to damage by ultraviolet radiation, sunburn."

http://www.newstarget.com/002037.html

it is also showing some good signs for arthritis use.........

6 replies. Join the discussion

** Originally posted by Dulane **

Well, of course I want to try it now. Except I'm taking so many other things, I don't know where I'd fit it in.

Maybe next month, if I run out of something. I wish they'd give us a sample if we'd write about it. I guess that wouldn't be to their best interests, unless we liked it.

I think it's a great supplement for arthritis.....but I like the idea you can go in the sun and have inner sun protection.....
I found it in:
TWINLAB: GLUCOSAMIN/CHOINDROITIN/MSM/ASTAXANTHIN
and we all need a good antioxident for our over all health!

http://www.supervits.com/catalog/product.asp?categoryID=478&show=p

click on this to get the best price I could find....they have other supplements also but I did not compare any.........

Namaste

Perhaps you have heard of beta-carotene? An antioxident.....from carrots
Some of the better-known carotenoids of other groups are lycopene (in tomatoes) and lutein (in spinach). It is The coloring agent that gives color to our plants and in the case of carotinoid astaxanthin, the reddish,orange color to sea animals

Carotenoids have demonstrable antioxidant abilities and are thought to be important in helping to prevent numerous diseases. Some of the more exciting new research is being done on age-related macular degeneration.
The carotenoid astaxanthin is perhaps best known as the agent that provides the pinkish-red color to farm-raised fish such as salmon. Recent research also shows it to be a potent antioxidant equal to or greater than lipid-soluble antioxidants such as vitamin E. Predominantly through its antioxidant effects, astaxanthin may enhance immune response, protect vision, and exert anticancer effects.

An herbal supplement containing sea-algae extract reduces carpal tunnel pain, according to a report at the recent meeting of the American College of Nutrition. A companion study suggests the supplement, BioAstin, also helps reduce rheumatoid arthritis pain.
For those interested in giving it a try I found that the company Twinlabs joined Astaxanthin with other arthritis fighting components to help the sufferer! Whether this will help you or not is debatable until you give it a trial.
I am certainly not telling anyone to give up their medications they are now on, nor suggesting they not follow through on going to their doctor...........
Maybe this will help those with fibro or osteo.....
Here is a small study done where it helped carpal tunnel......and some with RA (altho the patients continued on their meds.)

http://my.webmd.com/content/article/51/49839.htm

** Originally posted by Dulane **

Hey Sally and all,

Here's a better price for astaxanthin. It isn't the whole mix, just straight astaxanthin.

Its at Swansons Vitamins, but they are known for their quality.

http://www.swansonsvitamins.com

Then search for 'astaxanthin'

You can get 60 softgels for $7.79, and they have several blends, too.

Wouldn't you know! I already ordered mine the other day....however I did do some searching first and decided I wanted to make sure I got the Hawaiian Astax. (such a word)!

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support the National Psoriasis Foundation

Help the National Psoriasis Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the National Psoriasis Foundation

Discussion topics

Additional resources

Community leaders