Pork / Sugar...friends or triggers?

** Originally posted by JohnV **

Hey All

What do you all think about pork and pork by products affect on psoriasis.

I know that sugar is toxic to the liver so I've stopped drinking any and all alcohol altogether and don't add any sugar to anything I eat, cook or drink.

I've cut these things out of my diet for the past 5 months and things are getting better for me.

let me know what you all think.

John

5 replies. Join the discussion

** Originally posted by DottieD **

Hi John -
Pork fat contains a significant amount of arachidonic acid, a substance that the T-lymphocytes (a type of white cell) in our skin use to produce the inflammatory cytokines that cause our skin cells to multiply too fast. I stay away from anything with pork fat in it. That would include sausage, hot dogs, bologna, and ribs. I occasionally use a little cooked bacon that has been pressed with a paper towel; there's not much fat left. Pork chops (with the rim of fat removed), pork tenderloin, and lean ham have very little fat in them.

Pork liver is extremely high in arachidonic acid. I'm not sure what you mean by pork by-products.
DottieD

** Originally posted by JohnV **

Hey Dottie D

Pork by-products to me are Salami, Sausages, Peperonie, Pork added to beef like fast food hambergers and differant things containing pork fat or pork itself as a filler or to moisten the meet that it's in. The best example for the last one is I have buddies that go Deer/Moose hunting and when they grind the Deer/Moose meat up for sausages they put pork in the mix to provide some extra flavour and make the meat moist.

take care

John

I don't know if you would want to do this, but for your part of the meat, you could add some olive oil or canola oil to make it more moist, as lean meat does tend to be dry. That would be healthier for someone with p. For more flavor, you could add a little beef broth or beef bouillon (even better, something in a jar called "Better than Bouillon") or even a little sage.

I'm guessing that you don't eat enough moose meat to make a lot of difference in the long run!
DottieD

I agree that some arachidonic acid is essential to our bodies - especially for babies whose nervous systems are just developing. However, our bodies are capable of making arachidonic acid from the linoleic acid found in other fats. Also, there are lots of minor sources of aa. in our diet other than eggs, liver, and the fat in meats.

Over the millions of years we evolved, our ancestors consumed far less arachidonic acid than we do. The modern Western diet is not ideal for our body chemistry by any means. We eat lots more meat and most of it is grain-fed and over-fed, making its aa. content relatively high. Even fish are now being farm-raised and fattened up with grains instead of their normal diet! Eggs produced at poultry farms have much more aa. in them than eggs from chickens that eat grass and insects. I feel that cutting down aa. intake is just going back to a more "normal" diet.

You are right, of course, about the law of unintended consequences. I agree with you that "moderaton in all things" is the safer path to follow. Maybe you've figured out why I'm sometimes absent-minded. I thought it was just a "senior moment"!!

DottieD

** Originally posted by MadCat **

What do you all think about pork and pork by products affect on psoriasis.

Processed flour and refined sugars are some of the worst substances that you can put in your body.

Many people on this site (including myself) have noticed huge improvements since cutting out meat and dairy.

So personally I would suggest avoiding pork, pork by-products and all meat (including fish) in general.

Cutting out meat was initially hard for me because I was a real carnivore but I am a (Raw) Vegan now and totally clear.

Ok, ok, I will mention it once more only (since I don’t want people thinking I am in some sort of crazy cult!! :) ) but drinking fresh raw home-made vegetable juice everyday has helped reduce my cravings for meat, dairy, chocolate and alcohol.

Good luck

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support the National Psoriasis Foundation

Help the National Psoriasis Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the National Psoriasis Foundation

Discussion topics

Additional resources

Community leaders