Pork - Can it cause a flare up?

I've been gluten free for about 3 weeks. Honestly, I've seen no improvement. In fact, last week I developed about 20 new small red spots. I noticed them on Thursday and Friday. Well...Sunday I had roasted pork. Tuesday I had two pork chops and Thursday I had two more pork chops. Otherwise, I was eating rice and vegetables and drinking water and green tea.

Anyone ever noticed an almost instantaneous flare up eating pork?

19 replies. Join the discussion

Pork cause a flare? I sure hope not.
It's just about the only meat I eat other than fish. I have fish 4 or 5 times a week and pork on the other days.
I've eaten this way for at least the past 40 years. I eat beef or fowl (turkey, chicken, etc.) about once a month.
Jack

Pork don't cause flare
actually food is not my trigger, my dermatologist said to me "you can eat everything you want."
i notice really nothing happens when i eat pork ... other than the effect of high blood i think pork is good :)

A dermo saying eat whatever you want?? Interesting. You know your body best! I know tomato sauce flares me up very badly. Haven't tried pork yet. Chicken seems to be okay for me too. Again, you just have to monitor the stuff you eat and see what causes the flare ups. ;)

Howzit Phineus?

Sorry to hear that the wheat/gluten diet seems not to be working. (On the bright side, you may find that you CAN eat gluten )
Have you cut out dairy yet? I think that this is more likely the cause and effect than gluten.
As for Pork. What a great food...all that crackling! mmmmmm!
I flare when I eat it though. But when you think of all the 'shite' that they eat. How much of it then affects us?
By the way, when are you gonna send the VG recipe? Still annoying the smokers who have to go outside to have a puff whilst I pretend to be a steaming coffee machine inside...HoHo!

Go well,

Zee22 www.psoriasisbesymptomfree.blogspot.com

Hi. I don't eat pork but I have read that it can be a trigger food, ... not sure why though.

And yes, many dermatologists claim diet has no impact on psoriasis. So I guess my clearance due to dietary changes was in fact due to the placebo effect. ;)

_Lazza

Howzit brgv?

I would have to wonder about anyone who could say to eat what you like. For a derm' to say such a thing is staggering!
Tell you what though, it sure guarantees that you will be seeing him again if you don't listen to your body and follow its own advice.
There is plenty of advice and clinical evidence on the web that you can research, as could he, about the affects of food on the skin.
Just think of someone who is say, allergic to shellfish. They eat some prawns which triggers the Mast Cells to over produce Histamine and their skin flares up. What does the Derm' do? Well he prescribes Anti-Histamine and Bingo, the skin returns to normal.
Pay at the desk..next patient please!

If you are interested in more, I have a personal blog which talks about Psoriasis and shares my findings.

Go well,

Funny thing, my dermatologist said "eat what you want" also. Actually he said there's no correlation. Lazza why are you being mean to brgy?

Stay away from pork products. Some patients have noticed flare-ups caused by pork, but you should stop eating anything you find that causes flare-ups, says Dr. Steven Feldman, professor of dermatology, pathology and public health sciences at the Wake Forest University School of Medicine in Winston Salem, North Carolina.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/28090-treat-psoriasis-diet/#ixzz1mPh9a6kb

have another go at it and find out...

Howzit Phineus

I have c and p'd this from my blog about Pork.

(Worrying about Greek Yoghurt, as it is the only dairy in my diet, I stopped off at the local health food store and picked up some goats milk Yoghurt. Twice as expensive as cows!!!
I had some pork on Tuesday and started to itch 24 hrs later. I find this a strange period of time but I believe it was the pork as the last couple of days I have experienced ‘wind’ which over the past months has left me alone. I did have an Indian meal but although I did blame the chilli I now am sure it was the roast pork.
Read up on Pork…not a happy story and although it is a fave of mine I’m afraid it has to go!!
I had a H2o2 bath with epsom salts in it and lay there like Cleopatra (on my Asp!). For those who need a quick reminder. Half a cup 35% H202 into a warm bath with half a box of Epsom salts. 20 mins soak time then lightly dab dry.
I must report that it “Does what it says on the tin!” I felt calm, cool and had no itch.
I must drink more water!!!)

Go well,

Yes I flare up on pork and foods containing sulphites, and about 1000 other foods. Artificial preservatives and additives cause itching and flare ups. Unfortunately, most foods today contain artificial ingredients. Even ascorbic acid, which causes me itching and flaring, is now sometimes listed as an ingredient in organic foods.

omg-so what can we eat??? i just need a plain and simple list of what to avoid...i don't know what causes my flare-ups. does dairy include butter/margarine or just cheese, milk, ice cream, etc.? also, i am on a lot of medications for other conditions/diseases so could some of them affect the psiorisis? help me! signed, confused and getting depressed

Howzit Cinypassons?

I have posted a list of Yes and No foodstuffs on my personal blog/journal which you can read at the link here:

Go well,

Zee's website of foods to avoid was similar to what I've experienced. Below is a link to a website I created based on what I've experienced with food.

www.psoriasisanddiet.org

Some people say diet has no affect on psoriasis, and that may be true, but the similarity between the website Zee posted and mine show that there are definitely some similarities between at least a portion of people with psoriasis.

@andrew67 thanks and its nice to know that we have the same situation regarding on food.
@Zee22 am sure that your derma has notice that besides psoriasis you also have allergic reaction to some food that cause your flaires.
@cindypassons don't worry about the food that Zee22 list, hes journal about certain food is what makes his flare and not the same for all of us. You must consult an expert Doctor a dermatologist for that.
@Lazza yes you can say that the placebo effect has come to play here,

i also monitor what i eat, actually pork is expensive here in the Philippines so i eat less pork not because i think its bad for me but only because of my the budget.

However i also notice that some people prepare to follow a certain path for wellness on a diet point of view.
if however food is the cause of flares, then stress is not the cause of psoriasis but bad food management.
and if bad food management can be corrected then we don't need a dermatologist but a dietitian or a cook perhaps?

i really doubt a dietitian will be the proper expert for an immune system disorder such as psoriasis.

who will you go to monitor your psoriasis a dietitian or dermatologist?
are you sure your dietitian will make you a recipe for immune system disorder treatment ?

because of the complexity of psoriasis treating it is also very complex.
also noticeable, there is no signature treatment for all psoriasis patient,
while there is a common immune system disorder there are no common cause and treatment.

and a dermatologist is the right expert for this.

thanks to all of you - i am going to try this to see if it helps!

I doubt you would see any improvement after being gluten-free for only 3 weeks.

Some people may experience improvements that quickly, but for the majority it is a long slog. Slow but steady.

Try 3 - 12 months of being gluten-free for better results.

DottieD use to post about farmed salmon being very inflammatory, and it should be avoided by people with P & PA.

I am 99% sure she use to talk about pork being very inflammatory too.

(A study by an American hospital showed certain methods of cooking food were very inflammatory within the body. Most people fry pork and frying is one of the most inflammatory ways of cooking).

I don't eat pig any more. I use to love bacon, but I have just gone off it taste and texture wise. Plus I feel guilty because pigs are pretty intelligent animals, and I now prefer them as pets, not food. I have found that the more I meditate and become involved in spiritual pursuits, the more sensitive I have become to the suffering of farmed animals used in the food industry. But that is just me.

But yes, pork can cause a flare up in some people. Chicken and processed meats cause a flare up for me. Others on here have either have no worries with food or maybe have simply not made any connection yet to their triggers.

Try experimenting with pork and keep a food diary, a pattern should soon emerge and you can then tell for sure.

Hi Zee22

You say that for a derm to say such a thing is staggering.

Actually for a dermatologist to say “you can eat everything you want as diet has no connection to psoriasis”, is a pretty standard response these days.

What I find much more staggering are people on here (and there is quite a few of them) who post such remarks as:

“My doctor / derm said diet has no connection to psoriasis and I trust my doctor / derm.............. so much that I will follow his advice blindly without question and without thinking for myself”.

OK, so the part about “so much that I will follow his advice blindly without question and without thinking for myself”, was added on by me. But that is pretty much the gist of it overall.

People repetitively posting "trust your derm" on the CAM forum, is another post that never fails to make me laugh.

If I trusted my doctor without question, I would be in a pile of shite about now IBD wise. Since he said diet has absolutely nothing to do with bowel disease - when in fact it is a flippin major component.

Anyway, back to pork. I have seen a number of psoriasis related websites that mention pork.

EXAMPLE: "Stay away from pork products. Some patients have noticed flare-ups caused by pork, but you should stop eating anything you find that causes flare-ups, says Dr. Steven Feldman, professor of dermatology, pathology and public health sciences at the Wake Forest University School of Medicine in Winston Salem, North Carolina. Avoid other common triggers, including colas, red wine, red meat, MSG, chili, hot spices, junk foods and tomatoes. Some patients report that berries, including strawberries, trigger the disorder".

So the vital first step really is discovering your triggers and start avoiding them, whatever they may be.

Chicken, dairy, wheat and refined sugar are my biggest triggers for a psoriasis and IBD flare.

Wine occasionally is no problem for me it seems, but last week I had some brandy and had my biggest ever flare. Brandy in small nips in a hot toddy for flu is fine, but this time I drank considerably more than a few nips. It gave me a right scare. It went down very quickly thank goodness, and a week later only small traces remain.

Howzit LPP?

Good post.
I was thinking about how things affect us as individuals. Foods drink stress 'Gum disease' (see my gingivitis discussion).
I truly believe that if it were practical to do, then I am pretty sure that one would be able to at least radically reduce, if not clear the symptoms of P by totally fasting for as long as possible. (Before anyone berates me, I DO NOT advocate doing this).
We try the juice only diet, we cut out dairy/wheat/gluten/nightshades/alcohol. All of them have a success to varying degrees.
Is this because they are in themselves mini-fasts?
If we were able to not eat at all for a period of time (fast), the question would be:
Has our Psoriasis managed to maintain itself without any confusions from what we eat or drink? If that was indeed the case, then those who maintain that diet has no effect on the condition would be correct.
I however have a strong feeling that the P would clear.
Just a thought.

Go well,

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support the National Psoriasis Foundation

Help the National Psoriasis Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the National Psoriasis Foundation

Discussion topics

Additional resources

Community leaders