Pools / Chlorine / Psoriasis

How does your psoriasis respond after swimming in a chlorine pool?

Does it sting when you get in?

Does it cause any kind of a set back or flare?

Do you do anything different to your areas of psoriasis before or after you swim in a pool?

Thank you in advance for taking the time to respond.

28 replies. Join the discussion

I typically have good exfoliating results, sucks to the normal people, lol. I had a friend who said his sister had P on er hands and she was using a powerwasher with bleach to clean a building and it helped her.

I've added a little to the bath before, no issues yet.

In 2006 I just spend a hour in swimming pool and next day I found my body was clean without any spots

I find it clears my Psoriasis to a certain extent.

I think my swiming pool does flare me up. will try it again after I stop this polyester.thing

Soaking and sunning usally is a good combo. It helps with the pain and icthiness. I find it soothing. It removes flakes.

As long as the Ph of the pool is right and the chlorine isn't out of whack it works great for mine :) not to mention the water therapy helps my joints :)

has no effect on my Ps

Does not affect my p if everything is balanced if anything is out of wack it will make me flare like none other

So on Mothers Day, we went to the fitness club we belong to that has a big pool...diving board, swimming lanes, play area etc.

My psoriasis is doing far better than it ever has been since I started using glycerin 2 months ago, and then started using a prescribed light unit 2-3 weeks ago.

My plaque is mostly limited to my right arch and both heels halfway up to my ankles. My arch is the most stubborn. When I got in the pool, my arch just started stinging, but my heels were ok. It was hot that day in Northern CA (85-90), so I stayed in about 20 minutes, got out, sat on a chair near the pool deck for 30 minutes, got back in for 20 minutes (arch stinging) then sat on the deck another 30 minutes before showering and going home with the family.

When I applied the glycerin shortly after coming home, both heels and my arch started stinging like crazy. The next morning, my plaque areas were red, irriatated and my heels were a little swollen.

Today is Thursday, and the swelling and redness has went down, and I am almost back to where I was before getting in the pool.

I'm annoyed by the fact that my psoriasis was finally to the point where I even felt comfortable going to the pool and having my bare feet out in full view....then as a result, I have a set back which I attribute to the chlorine.

When I went to the medicinal bath houses in Budapest in 2009, I found the pools really aided in healing of my skin overall. In fact my husband and kids commented that they have never felt so good as they did when we spent the day going into the 30 or so medicinal pools at http://www.szechenyibath.com/

I love being in the water, but am wondering if the chlorine level at my clubs pool is really high. When I go in the ocean in Hawaii, I do not have any type of stinging or problems with my psoriasis. In fact, I completely clear when I am in Hawaii. Maybe I should pack up and move to either Hawaii or Budapest. I don't think the dry heat of CA agrees with me. :-(

My pool guy says to take a cold shower before going in to close the pores so as not to absorb the chlorine. I shower after getting out and then immediately lather up w/ lotion. He put some baking soda in my pool last week to make the water softer.

Pool/ chlorine and sun all help my psoriasis to retreat somewhat. I believe the ocean is best for me. I think the salt and minerals help to loosen the plaques. I just sit in the sand where the waves meet the shore...soaking it all in.

ocean,helps dry up my psoriasis,unfortunately i'm 300 miles away,with no job,no insurance impossible to go.sun and heat seems to make it worse.

cold shower may close pores temporarily but obviously the warm pool H20 opens pores right away

my pool makes P. worse. went to the beach first time sinse living in flafor 12 years the salt water is like a miricle. might change my pool 2 a salt water pool.

Bill
U near me in North Miami Bch ?? (land of drive by shootings)

Chlorine used to mess with my psoriasis big time. Even though a long soak loosened the scales; The underlying dryness that resulted from the Chlorine left the skin very itchy. I am a swimmer (a lifeguard for the city of Seattle back in college) and when the plaque was bad I would put vaseline on before swimming for a moisture barrier. It stays on the body pretty good and you can always reapply it, but the feet would just wear it off; so I suggest a pair of aqua socks on top of the Vaseline.

Hope you can enjoy your summer swim outings!

no julia Im in crystal river. the nature coast. were there is not one drive by shooting. keep your gun allways ready.its on the west coast bout 70 miles north of tampa airport.

Vaseline! I put it on affected areas and I do not get the stinging. It keeps the areas protected.

Have you tried a salt water pool? Not as harsh as a chlorine pool and seems to soothe the skin better. Hope you find some relief soon :)

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support the National Psoriasis Foundation

Help the National Psoriasis Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the National Psoriasis Foundation

Discussion topics

Additional resources

Community leaders