Perm

Can anyone recomend a perm for my hair that would be gentle on my scalp? I have scalp psoriasis and right now my scalp is not in good shape.

10 replies. Join the discussion

If your scalp is flaring it might be best to avoid a perm for now. You don't want to irritate it anymore than it may already be. I haven't had a perm since the 80's so I would assume they probably have better formulas now. If you are looking for curls or body in your hair, there could be other ways to get it without chemicals.

My hair is very thin and fine. I havent had one in over a yr, my dermatologist had told me to look at a store near me for a natural one but they only carry the hair color and no longer the perms.

Hi, have you tried the shampoos or conditioners made for fine/thinning hair? My cousin uses them and it works well for her. Not sure, but Aveda might make a natural perm although you can't buy that in the store.

Not so much, I've used the dry hair ones. I will try them though thank you. I will check into the Aveda perm, my g/f is a licensed hair dresser but does it on her own for friends so shes not real up to date with products but if I can find it she can get it for me.

Wowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww I am sure no stylist would take that risk and do it
That is frightening to think about......VERY RISKY.
that is all Ps needs .................to have chemicals dumped on it

DOnt do it buy a wig or hat

my scalp was so bad i wouldnt even get my hair cut for like 2 years and than i saw somebody say something about tea tree oil. i have used it ever time i wash my hair and guess what no scalp P for the last 3 weeks! it also cleared up aroud my ears as well..i know if your like me you will try anything...just try it for a few days and see how it works. i know everyone is diffrent but hey what ya got to lose?

JuliainFLA I am certainly not going to get a perm with my scalp the way it is now! I was looking to see if anyone had tried a perm that was gentle enough for the scalp......

Dragonflycrt, I have heard of the tea tree shampoo is that what you are talking about?? Can you tell me the brand that you are using. Please and thank you very much.

yes its called Hollywood Beatuy. I got it at walmart. i think its in the ethnic hair section, it only cost about 3 dollars. I havent tried the shampoo yet but i hear that it works well too. and your welcome i hope it works as well for you as it did for me. keep me posted

Irish
I really thnk ANY perm would make the Ps worse ..................chemicals
We R told not to use even use soap or shampoos w/ fragrance and all perms R much worse!

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support the National Psoriasis Foundation

Help the National Psoriasis Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the National Psoriasis Foundation

Discussion topics

Additional resources

Community leaders