Papaya and Psoriasis

I have had psoriasis for 45 years and tried all medications prescribed. After a recent surgery I started taking fresh papaya daily ro reduce inflamation and have continued doing so for 2 months. I suddenly noticed my psoriasis is 90% gone. I wil definitely continue enjoying it at breakfast and observe how my skin reacts. Papaya is good for your digestion as well. I blend a ripe Papaya with fresh pineapple or banana to improve taste. You can have it with yogurt or add some water and drink it. I take it in the morning and anytime during the day. Hope this can help others.

105 replies. Join the discussion

Rose
Pls read my post right above urs

FOOD CITY. They tend to have the cheapest vegetables/fruit in AZ. Basha's may have them too since they are the same company, maybe a bit higher.

Hi Vip,

Have you found any good cream already?
I just wonder if you have ever tried McArther cream.
http://www.mcarthurnaturalproducts.com/natural-products
It really works for me.
You have to apply it day and night for a couple of weeks.

i didn't know what i posted was against inspire's rule.
i am still new here.
just forget what i posted.
i just couldn't ignore viplady's condition.
it works for me but does't mean it works for everyone...
sorry...

I hv tried a local brand of papaya lotion but not for long( js saw some remains which is being used by a relative for beauty purposes-it is believe to have a whitening effect on the skin)..for a few days it seems to reduce the lesion but am personally not that satisified with its result. Maybe its effect can be more dramatically felt in the severe cases but since mine is only a mild one, not much change had been noted. I dont know how effective it is when taken fresh orally, but my only warning here to the public is that psoriatic patient are also more prone to develop diabetes too later so maybe psoriatic patients should be wary of mixing too much sweets in their papayas especially when taken for a long time lest they end up having another disease to treat...bt m still searching for other herb or fruit which are cheap and readily available locally here in my country(Philippines) which might be able to produce a higher yield or better result. For the meantime, there's no harm in trying papaya coz it does have some results but albeit maybe not that great for milder cases but I'l do more studies on this during my sparetime to find out more about its action :)

why was your posting against the rules? Don't understand that at all. I guess information should not be shared?
If it was a drug (pharmaceutical) would it also be against the rules? Interesting.

Dear APCM - how much papaya do you eat everyday?

in my country, papaya is very cheap and can buy it almost everywhere.
i definitely give a try. wish me luck. i give it a month, see what's the difference in one months. :)

i'll keep update with everyone, hope someone can get benefit from it

I live in Hawaii and have a wonderful papaya tree in my yard which pretty much keeps my husband and I in fresh, ripe papaya most days of the week. We started eating it about a year ago because we're growing it, but now really like it.
I put Fage Greek Yoghurt into the papaya half and slice about half a banana on it. Really good.

I have noticed that the psoriasis on my arms is gone and that my legs are in pretty good shape too--psoriasis mostly gone. Unfortunately, I keep getting lumpy round warts on my legs which spoil the effect. (So, dairy is not affecting my psoriasis negatively as it has cleared with papaya, greek yoghurt, Omega III).

I also take a walk around 8 a.m. without sunscreen on my arms (about 20-30 min.)

However, what works for one person might not work for another. Doesn't hurt to try it.

Papaya? Very interesting! My insurance company kicked out the request for Humira. United Healthcare wants me to try whatever else is available first. Photo light therapy is one thing I will try next. I will look for Papaya in the stores here in Florida or try and try to find it in pill form..I have digestive issues as well, so maybe Papaya may help. Thanks!

Why take pills if you can have the real thing. However, you will eat papaya hopefully because you like it, not because you are trying to cure something. Hopefully, that would be a win-win situation.

The pills don't work. I eat one small papaya 5 x a week. I chew about 10 seeds each time. It really helps my P.

after 5 mo of eating a big slice most days, right now I have more Red lesions
Maybe I am skipping too many days or it stopped working???

Supplements R a WASTE of $$$$ and a ...............JOKE!

I will be giving Papaya a go ... but just a question ... is pineapple ok for P? I have been led to believe that acidic foods such as pineapple, lemon, lime, tomato etc are a no-no for psoriasis.. Would love to hear if this is not the case.

kona cheryll;
how long does it take to realize your psoriasis is disappearing?
is it over 2 months taking papaya?
i'm on day 2 taking papaya. of course nothing happen yet :)

I can't tell you how long it took, because I wasn't eating it for that purpose, so wasn't monitoring the clearing. And, of course, I don't know that eating papaya was the reason it disappeared, but when my dermatologist asked me why I thought my arms and legs had improved that much, the only thing I could think of was the papaya as I had just read an article about research in India on the benefits of papaya which including helping psoriasis. Of course, when I did have the psoriasis on the arms, I used the traditional topicals -- dovenex, fleurinocide, clobetasol, moisturizers as needed. However, they never cleared it before I started eating papaya for breakfast.

I have probably been eating 1/2 of a papaya 4-5 times a week for a year, depending on how many our tree produces.

In addition to the papaya, I was walking without sunscreen on my arms at 8 in the morning for 20-30 min. The sun might have helped too. I would say the clearing may have been a combination of things, not just papaya, but who knows.

Anyway, it doesn't hurt to try it. For breakfast, I recommend half a papaya filled with Fage Greek Yoghurt(with fruit in it) and a half of a banana on top of that. Tastes great.

Hi, be patient and perseverant taking your daily papaya and you will see the results. It might take a month or two. I have made it part of my daily diet, my psoriasis has receded although not completely but I prefer this over taking medication or using cortisone creams. Enjoy your day

I started eating papaya about a month ago. It took about a week before I noticed the lesions on my arms were getting better, and the ones on my legs were slowly getting better. I continue to eat it every morning and rub the skin on my lesions. It is truly making a difference, but not completely gone. I will continue because after almost 50 years of dealing with this stuff, it's the best it has been.

Hi @louiethefly, evidence wise I don't think there are good or bad foods for psoriasis. The acid/alkali thing isn't evidence based. Some of the same people who will avoid lemons will happily drink vinegar. You have to make your own mind up what you want to believe. Some people seem to have problems with certain foods but others don't. I have been eating lots of fruit until things got a bit disrupted a week ago and that included up to half a pineapple a day often. I have even seen people claim online that they cleared on pineapple. Ofcourse it most likely was not the pineapple at all.

Pineapple, papaya, banana and a few other fruits can cause problems for people who have latex allergy and having anything upsetting your immune system probably isn't very clever if you have psoriasis. So that would be the only reason I can imagine to avoid it.

KonaCheryl;
so that's it. you get lucky by eating papaya without knowing it's anti-inflammatory enzymes. this means you also didn't rub the papaya skin on the lesions, which might help skin to clear much more. Papaya tastes good anyway, and it's way too cheap, about just one dollar for one. i'm having it in the morning and after dinner. yummy.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support the National Psoriasis Foundation

Help the National Psoriasis Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the National Psoriasis Foundation

Discussion topics

Additional resources

Community leaders