Palms of my hands like leather gloves...

** Originally posted by Lynnchen **

I have P on the palms of my hands, but the primary symptom is not scaling, but a really thick growth of "dead skin" that feels like wearing old leather gloves. It sometimes gets so bad that I can't fully straighten my fingers, or more often, the skin cracks. I use moisturizers, but since it can't penetrate the dead skin, I just end up with well-conditioned leather gloves! I have tried soaking, salicylic acid, cortisone cream etc...nothing seems to work. Any suggestions?

11 replies. Join the discussion

** Originally posted by LoriASoCal **

Well, you have probably tried this, but just in case. fight back with gloves... and heavy moisturizer with maybe just a tad of milder steriod so that you can occlude to your hearts content, as in sleep in the gloves overnight for several nights in a row. I used to do this about 2 nights a week.

** Originally posted by Lynnchen **

Thanks! I've tried it for an hour of so at a time, but have not done it overnight. I assume that an OTC hydrocortisone would be safe to occlude?
I'll give it a try and let you know how it goes...

** Originally posted by LoriASoCal **

You should ask your doctor which one. And the main thing is to mix just a smidge with tons of moisturizer. I would imagine otc hydrocortisone would work. I've even used a drop or two of diprolene mixed with a eucerin or something equally thick.

** Originally posted by deemah **

I find that topical meds work best when the skin is moist and the plaques softened. You mentioned that you have tried soaking. Have you put any of the meds/moisturizers on your hands directly after soaking? And like Lori said, gloves will help to keep the moisturizer from rubbing off while the healing is taking place.

Good luck.

** Originally posted by RichJ **

hi lynnchen,
i have the same promblem with my finger tips. im waering glove to keep stuff on them. i wish i new what would help but welcome to the p family. you have meet some of the wonderful people on here and will find alot of great info. welcome and nice to meet you.

try and have a good night all

richard

** Originally posted by SuzanneT **

Hi Lynchenn, I've used OTC cortisone ointment occluded overnight for years on my feet (and hand, when I had it on my hand). Actually, I think Aquaphor or vaseline probably do just as well.

** Originally posted by Schilder **

Hello lynnchen.

Is youre handpalm like this lynnchen??? see picture

** Originally posted by Psor-lips **

Hi Lynnchen,

I noticed that my between my fingers at the base of my palms they are now getting red, itchy and scaley. I recently purchased Burt's Bees "Soothingly Sensitive Aloe & Buttermilk Body Lotion", and so far, I am very happy with the results. the lotion absorbs beautifully into my skin, and stays moist even after several handwashings. Maybe it can work for you too. Cost in Canadian dollars is about $15 and change.

Best of luck, Lynnchen!

** Originally posted by Psor-lips **

OUCH - that looks so painful, Schilder. Please see my response to Lynnchen regarding the Burt's Bees "Soothingly Sensitive Aloe & Buttermilk Lotion".

Feel better!

Leah

** Originally posted by MadCat **

I have P on the palms of my hands, but the primary symptom is not scaling, but a really thick growth of "dead skin" that feels like wearing old leather gloves. It sometimes gets so bad that I can't fully straighten my fingers, or more often, the skin cracks. I use moisturizers, but since it can't penetrate the dead skin, I just end up with well-conditioned leather gloves! I have tried soaking, salicylic acid, cortisone cream etc...nothing seems to work. Any suggestions?

I wonder if you will find something to help in the Badger Balm range?

I use five of their balms for different reasons (lip balm, evolving balm, anti-bug balm, sleep balm and baby balm) and am having excellent results. I used these balms when I had a P flare-up and continue to use them now I am clear.

I am not suggesting they are going to “cure” your hands, but you may get some relief or improvement like I did. Their products are natural and pure and relatively inexpensive.

I have never used their healing balm for hardworking hands or their unscented healing balm for dry skin, but I would imagine these two may be of some benefit to you.

I sent the company an email and in return they said they had lots of positive feedback from customers with P.

It’s an American brand, which I buy in Australia. Do a search on google for Badger Balm for more info.

I have also found calendula cream from the Jurlique range to be excellent. If I ever get P on my face or hands, calendula cream clears it up very quickly. It is on the expensive side but a little bit goes a long way.

Otherwise, some sort of 100% pure (organic) oil may help (i.e.) almond oil, coconut oil, lavender oil, hemp oil, primrose oil etc...

I would personally avoid anything like cortisone cream, mineral oil or sorbolene, as in the long run they will only add to your problems and make your skin worse. Also avoid washing your hands with liquid soaps or harsh chemical scented soaps.

Good luck.

** Originally posted by Schilder **

OUCH - that looks so painful, Schilder. Please see my response to Lynnchen regarding the Burt's Bees "Soothingly Sensitive Aloe & Buttermilk Lotion".

Feel better!

Leah

Leah,

I found this what you advised me, see picture.....

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support the National Psoriasis Foundation

Help the National Psoriasis Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the National Psoriasis Foundation

Discussion topics

Additional resources

Community leaders