P in my beard

** Originally posted by klb7520 **

It will appear if I grow a beard. If I shave it off it will go away in a few days. It seems as if the growth of hair is perceived by the body as an injury to the skin that requires skin cell growth. Do any males have the same problem? Also, what type of facial soap do you use? Thanks in advance for any info. and take care.

4 replies. Join the discussion

** Originally posted by MikeK **

Hi Klb7520,

I'm 49 and I've worn a moustache since I first started to grow facial hair. It sometimes gets psoriasis in it. (It flakes just like scalp psoriasis.) I have a moustache comb and brush set that I bought at a local department store many years ago. (I have no idea if local stores still sell them. My guess is that you can buy something similar online.) I use the comb to brush the flakes out of the moustache. Fortunately, it doesn't happen all of the time.

I sometimes go for several days without shaving. I wore a beard in college. I had really bad scalp psoriasis at the time. I sometimes get psoriasis on my face (facial psoriasis is public enemy number one as far as I'm concerned) but I don't remember if wearing a beard made a difference in terms of causing an outbreak of psoriasis. (It probably didn't, because I'm pretty sure that I would remember something like that.)

Over the years, I've tried a number of different types of razors to shave my face. Everyone is different, but EVERY electric razor that I've ever tried caused an outbreak of psoriasis. I've also tried a number of different non-electric razors (single blade, double blade, etc. etc.). I find I get the best results if I use a disposable razor. (It doesn't matter if it's a single or a double blade, etc.) When I'm home, I use the razor once or twice before starting a new one. If I'm on vacation, I can usually get away with using one or two razors for say a weeks vacation. (I skip a few days between shaves when I'm on vacation.)

In terms of shaving creams and/or gels, etc. I find that it doesn't matter what kind I use -- as long as it doesn't have menthol or some sort of a fragrance. I generally buy whatever is on sale. I use a lot of store brands.

I find that it helps to avoid anti-bacterial and/or deoderant soaps. I also have to avoid soaps with any kind of a fragrance. Here's a link to a previous discussion about psoriasis and soap: http://www.psoriasis.org/forum/showthread.php?t=13629.

I hope this helps.

Mike

** Originally posted by Dulane **

The appearance of P in your beard or absence of P when it is gone may be related to your face's ability to get sun there.

Alot of P people don't get it on their face...but some do. Some have said it was because their face was able to get sun.

I don't get it on my face much at all, but I get it on my scalp and at my temples at times, under my hair. I think this is related, but not sure.

:confused:

** Originally posted by Robpsor **

I was beginning to think I was alone with this strange phenomenon. Shave and the P is gone but when I grow a beard it returns. Oddly enough I also get P in sideburns if they grow out. I also get it in my eyebrows and occasionally between or under my eyes. The P also seems to be accompanied by acne in some way. I have not found a good treatment as none of the shampoos or soaps have much lasting effect. I have gotten into the habit of buying a new one when I see it and rotating between several in hopes that some combination will be more effective... What I have found that works to some degree is washing my scalp and beard with the shampoo of the day, rinsing it out, then lightly scrubbing my scalp/beard/eyebrows with a firm bristled brush. Since the skin tends to soften in warm water it is easily removed until the next day. It is tedious but keeps me from scratching as much and also reduces my flaking to almost nothing. The P is not gone but atleast I can get through the day without much worry. I found that at times tea tree oil in some emulsion has some effect but I have not used it long term. I'd love to read any other info anyone has on this subject as I dont have time or money to invest in expensive treatments...

** Originally posted by RichJ **

hi robpsor,
welcome to the p family. you have meet some of the wonderful people on here and will find alot of great info. welcome and nice to meet you.

try and have a good day all

richard

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support the National Psoriasis Foundation

Help the National Psoriasis Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the National Psoriasis Foundation

Discussion topics

Additional resources

Community leaders