Ovarian Cysts, absorption and digestive issues

** Originally posted by journalgrrl **

I am wondering if there is a connection to Ovarian cysts and weight gain or malabsorption....and the gene that causes Psoriasis.

Or if auto-immune stuff just tends to inflame us on ALL levels and the skin is just the most obvious...

Does anyone here have issues like this and have you ever heard of there being a connection. My derm said that many people that are flared up as bad as me (50+%) tend to put on weight too, I am thinking it is because the internal body is also inflamed and unable to metabolize our diet properly...not to mention the emotional factor of using fat to hide behind or keep others away from one's body...

I would love to hear some other experiences, and I am so grateful for finding this forum because this feels like crap and it is important to hear your stories and share ideas too...!

thanks!

5 replies. Join the discussion

** Originally posted by RichJ **

hi jounalgrrl,
im sorry that i can't help much but welcome to the p family. you will meet some of the wonderful people on here and will find alot of great info. welcome and nice to meet you. maybe some one will come throught and help with your ?

try and have a good day all

richard

** Originally posted by szorzi **

I am wondering if there is a connection to Ovarian cysts and weight gain or malabsorption....and the gene that causes Psoriasis.

That's a very interesting question. If you mean Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS), there is another thread on here which might suggest a link. A poster called Archael is treating his P with metformin, a drug that lowers insulin. You can find this thread here:

http://www.psoriasis.org/forum/showthread.php?t=34065&highlight=approach

This is not an authorized treatment for P to my knowledge. However I have been intrigued by his theories because in addition to P, I also have fattty liver disease and my gastro has suggested we might try some medicine for diabetes to treat it. I'm not sure if he's talking about metformin or another drug, but I intend to find out on my next visit.

I've been reading a lot about metformin and it is also used to treat PCOS. So who knows? Maybe PCOS, psoriasis and fatty liver disease all have something in common.

** Originally posted by einna **

IMHO, I think that weight gain has more to do with physiologic and psychologic patterns, rather than metabolic, when it comes to immune disorders. I've had horrible flares of P and PA and I am skinny. Pain and suffering causes one to be less active. The emotional pain causes the individual to be less active as well. And finally, when we suffer we seek comfort in foods, drink and sleep. Well if that doesn't put the pounds on.....

Annie

** Originally posted by journalgrrl **

I just know I have had cysts happen throughout my life. though they are usually BIG and singular, not lots of little ones... The last time I tried MTX (for a few months only) I got a big one and my periods were hellaious for a year!

As for the digestion thing, I think diet is HIGHLY subjective and allergies to stuff is not to be given as any kind of blanket statement...My own weight is a reflection of my emotions, for sure, but I also know certain foods make me worse too...and my digestion/bowels sem to respond to the stress and flareup as well.

I just know that the inflammation response can screw us up on multiple levels, and was curious to see if anyone here had other issues that seemed to be related.

** Originally posted by stametst **

I just wanted to say hello and welcome you to the board.

This past weekend I have been reading a letter (3 years ago) written by my endocrinologist about how he thinks I may have secondary hyperparathyroidism. It has been a year of unemployment and not having any health insurance so I was not able to get my levels checked. I will be seeing my primary tomorrow and asking about getting so blood work done. I do know that my Vitamin D, calcium, B-12, Iron levels tend to be low and my PTH levels appear to be quite high. Also, I am certain that my TSH levels are all over the place b/c I was not able to afford the medicine. Doctor also believed I had a malabsorbtion syndrone; I guess I will find out since it has been so long for blood work.

In eating vegetables, have you ever experienced severe abdominal pains/cramps that are so bad? When I eat vegetables, I tend to have the severe abdominal pain. Have you experienced anything like this? It is so painful that I really try NOT to eat vegetables b/c of the severe pain.

Or if auto-immune stuff just tends to inflame us on ALL levels and the skin is just the most obvious...

Does anyone here have issues like this and have you ever heard of there being a connection. My derm said that many people that are flared up as bad as me (50+%) tend to put on weight too, I am thinking it is because the internal body is also inflamed and unable to metabolize our diet properly...not to mention the emotional factor of using fat to hide behind or keep others away from one's body...

I would love to hear some other experiences, and I am so grateful for finding this forum because this feels like crap and it is important to hear your stories and share ideas too...!

thanks!

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support the National Psoriasis Foundation

Help the National Psoriasis Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the National Psoriasis Foundation

Discussion topics

Additional resources

Community leaders