Oregano Oil

** Originally posted by Gyeatman **

Has any one here tried Oregano Oil ?

Its hard to find any info about, apparently it has anti-bacterial,antiviral, and anti fungal properties. It also has been shown to have powerful parasitic expelant. Oregano essential oil has been used for . . .fighting yeast, fungus (skin and blood-born) knocking out allergies, hay fever, and sinusitis

Regards
Gordon

11 replies. Join the discussion

** Originally posted by deb54 **

Gyeatman--welcome to the boards and good morning, [I get up very early]

Have never heard of oregano oil but I know my herbs. I seem to remember my earthy friend speaking of oregano's medicinal properties.I've just spent 30 minutes searching all my books, you're right, can't find a thing. I'll check the web next. If I find anything I'll get back to you.

deb54

** Originally posted by deb54 **

Gyeatman,

I typed in oregano medicinal uses and came up with lots of info. As a paste oregano can be used to relieve pain, swelling and itching. I haven't slapped any on to see if the claims work but can't see any harm in trying. The oil must smell good, at least to italian food lovers.

deb54

** Originally posted by Gyeatman **

I am still looking as well and found this on this web site under supplements.

http://www.psoriasis.org/treatment/psoriasis/diet/supplements.php

"Oregano oil
Oregano is a commonly used spice for baking and cooking. It possesses antibacterial and antifungal properties, which may be helpful with some infections associated with psoriasis. Oregano oil can be purchased at most health food stores.

Many people have contacted the Psoriasis Foundation to let us know that use of oregano oil, either orally or topically, has helped their psoriasis. Oregano oil has been known to cause allergic contact dermatitis when applied to the skin. "

Looks like its worth a try

** Originally posted by chica63 **

I've used oregano oil off and on for different ailments for about 10 years. I love the stuff! If you are going to use it topically, you can purchase one that is already mixed with a carrier oil (usually sweet almond, olive, or jojoba). If you have the pure essential oil (origanum vulgare Is consider the most potent and beneficial) you can mix it with a carrier oil (olive would be the best choice) in a 3:1 ratio or roughly 3 drops to a teaspoon of oil and try a patch test first on the inside of your elbow. Try not to wash the test patch for 24 hours. If you have no itching, burning, redness etc then you're good to go! Remember though, essential oils are very potent and only small amounts are necessary.

If you are going to use it internally I would suggest you do your research and maybe seek the advice of a naturopath or registered aromatherapist to monitor your usage as not everyone believes that this is a safe practice. There are some contraindications and some makers of oregano oil do not recommend it for internal use. Should you decide to try it, I would suggest purchasing a blend that is made for that purpose as opposed to mixing your own.

** Originally posted by Lao **

I have been putting extra virgin olive oil on my psoriasis, daily, for a couple of months and it has made a definite improvement. I suspect any (safe) oil would have had the same effect, as I have a very dry skin. I can't think why I didn't do this years ago.

** Originally posted by Miguel **

Gyeatman,

I have used oregano oil with great results. I have had psoriasis on my scalp for years, and it has been the only treatment that appears to heal this annoying condition. On top o

** Originally posted by NikoAF **

Firstly, I started the week off with a few new supplements to try and help me. This must be stated here as I am not 100% certain what product is actually getting the job done.

On Monday 4/5/09 I purchased the following items: Vaseline, Vick's VapoRub, Curcumin pills 500 milligrams each (active concentrate of Turmeric), Bioperine pills 10 MG each (black pepper extract) and oil of oregano. I read that Bioperine should be taken with the Curcumin as it helps the body absorb the curcumin 2000% more. If you don't take the bioperine then your body may have a hard time absorbing the curcumin by itself. A rundown of the supplements-

1) Vaseline- I use at night or during the day to keep my skin hydrated. Works like a charm.

*2) Vick's VapoRub- Once a day I put it on my skin at it seems to help a lot. This may be what is really helping with the redness of my P. A definite part of my arsenal from now on.

**3) Curcumin pill and Bioperine pill- I have taken one pill each together twice a day since Monday- I am astonished at the results so far. **I have a suspicion that this is a major reason for the excellent results that I am getting so quickly**.

***4) Oil of Oregano- What I do is put 1 drop under my tongue (very potent stuff) and hold it for about a minute. I read that this is the fastest and most efficient way to absorb it quickly. Your mouth will get real spicy tasting but just go with it. I then put 3 more drops into a cup of juice, stir it around and drink it real fast. Be sure to have a slice of bread (or milk) handy to help combat the spiciness/bitterness that you're about to taste. The benefits here far exceed the taste (at least so far for me).

I then fairly liberally apply it to my skin at night and wrap it in plastic wrap. When I wake up, (as i did this morning) I am amazed at how light in color my P is, when just about a week ago it was flaming red and raised. Now it is so flat that I can barely feel any parts that are raised up at all.

--> Also on Monday I started taking every item in Barney's Formula EXCEPT ibuprofen only for the fact that i didn't have any in the house and i forgot to buy it. It doesn't seem to matter that I haven't taken it bc my skin is doing great. And I am a believer that the ibuprofen is probably the most active of all of those pills.

This may seem to good to be true but I am telling you first hand I have never had results like this in my 14 years with P. At this pace it seems like my skin will be completely clear (or close to it) in no time. I am truly amazed right now.

** Originally posted by natlacok **

When I was kid I lived in a village on the west shore of Turkey for a few years.There was this old guy who used to do something from orageno,I don't know if if was the oil of it or some kind of liquid.It was for drinking I remember that much.People from far distinces would come to the village looking for him.I remember a joke he made that he could tell strangers looking for him from the way they walked out of the buss.His product treated hemorroids.Now I wish I had paid attention to what that was...

** Originally posted by vlarson **

I am using Oil of Oregano as of yesterday. I put 3 drops in an ounce of water and drink it, twice a day. I have also been putting 1 drop of Oregano Oil in 1 tsp of olive oil and using it externally. I don't know if I should be using more or less - but that's what I've started with. I'm anxious to see if it helps - but it's already relieved so much of the itching. What a relief!

** Originally posted by daytonaflyer **

I took oregano oil for a few weeks last year. It did absolutely nothing for my P and it made my burps taste nasty.

** Originally posted by nina2002nina **

It's so nice to hear that people are benefiting from Oil of Oregano. I have heard good things about it on other boards too :0).

Please keep us informed of progress.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support the National Psoriasis Foundation

Help the National Psoriasis Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the National Psoriasis Foundation

Discussion topics

Additional resources

Community leaders