Ocean water and psoriasis

** Originally posted by wavegirl **

Hi, Has any one ever went swimming in the ocean and seen a improvement with their psoriasis? Its been 2 years since I've been to myrtle beach and I love to swim out in the ocean about every day for a couple of hours. I started to see a improvement the way my psoriasis began to look.When I was out swimming my psoriasis was starting to get sore from the sea water then after a couple more days of swimming the redness started to go away and my skin look like it was starting to clear and I was so happy. I won't be going back to myrtle beach until next year and my mom said to try and get some sea salt and add it to my bath and see if that don't work for me. Has anyone ever tried doing this?
Thanks, Wavegirl

14 replies. Join the discussion

** Originally posted by alanc **

I'm going to go out and be really alternative on this. I have been doing a lot of research after healing my back, hip and leg pain through the theory of Dr. John E. Sarno in which TMS, Tension Myositis Syndrome, is the cause of many medical issues. Dr. Sarno's theory is that many body conditions, including P, are mind/body related and equivalents to TMS.
That said, if you read your post, "I love to swim out in the ocean" and "I was so happy" certainly put you in a positive frame of mind and the fact that your P improved could very well be a mind conditioning effect. Because your skin improved, and you believed it to improve, it continued to improve. The other side of the coin is that if you remove your swimming and the ocean, your condition returns, mainly because of your belief of the benefits, of the ocean and swimming, have been removed. If you could reprogram or recondition your mind to think that things are good for your skin, your skin may improve. This may very well be a positive placebo effect. Since P comes from the inside the ocean really should have no real effect on it other to sooth it, as does many topicals.

** Originally posted by MikeK **

The combination of sunlight and salt water always works wonders on my psoriasis. If you do decide to use Dead Sea salt, please make sure that you have plastic pipes because I understand that the salt can corrode other types of plumbing. Hopefully, Sally will see this and post a response. She had great success using Dead Sea salt in her hot tub and, if I remember correctly, is the first one who brought the plumbing issue to our attention.

Mike

** Originally posted by Dulane **

Mike,
I figured you'd find the LINK!

Here is a marvelous story about table salt! Yes, it works, but you must keep using it. And soaking for an hour is a commitment. You have to drink extra water, too, as it draws the water from within.

Epsom salts help. Dead Sea salts are good.

I don't use them however, because I have a septic system (vs. city sewer), and the salt kills the bacteria that keeps the septic system healthy.

http://www.psoriasis.org/forum/showthread.php?p=159377&highlight=salt#post1 59377

** Originally posted by Actress **

When I go to Lake Tahoe, or Hawaii, or any beach in my area, I make it a point to go into the water and get my ankles wet. For some reason, fresh, and salt water has some kind of mineral agents that break up p and helps it kinda "dilute itself" (for lack of better words) into the water, and start to vanish. I have been able to stay somewhat "p" free for up to three months because of this. I have also read several articles on this, and the foundation does annual trips to places where there are lots of fresh water resources. But I personally, have not tried the "sea salts" in the tub but it must have a similar if not the same effect. Good luck, and le me know if you try the sea salt in the tub thing, and it works. Sincerly, a.

** Originally posted by misales **

the theory of Dr. John E. Sarno in which TMS, Tension Myositis Syndrome, is the cause of many medical issues. Dr. Sarno's theory is that many body conditions, including P, are mind/body related and equivalents to TMS.

I'm gonna look into this one. For me I'm pretty confident that there is a mind body connection.

** Originally posted by Dulane **

It would be fun to do a 'Salt Lake Tour' in Washington or Utah. Unfortunately, there's only a 2 month window every summer in which you could even get in the water. Brrrr.

Here's some pics.

1. Soap Lake
2. Omak Lake
3. Too many farmer's fields to count. The salt is like epson salts, kinda bitter.

** Originally posted by GitOverIt **

I don't use them however, because I have a septic system (vs. city sewer), and the salt kills the bacteria that keeps the septic system healthy.

they also kill trees...we lost between 30 and 50 when we first moved in to this house......contacted everyone we could think of...no one knew what the problem was...I finally figured out that I could only use well water and not the softened water for my house plants......softened water killed all my plants! :mad: So DH by bypassed the washing machine,tub and shower and dishwasher water out to an empty field and it doesn't seem to effect the weeds

** Originally posted by chardog **

I'm going to go out and be really alternative on this. I have been doing a lot of research after healing my back, hip and leg pain through the theory of Dr. John E. Sarno in which TMS, Tension Myositis Syndrome, is the cause of many medical issues. Dr. Sarno's theory is that many body conditions, including P, are mind/body related and equivalents to TMS.
That said, if you read your post, "I love to swim out in the ocean" and "I was so happy" certainly put you in a positive frame of mind and the fact that your P improved could very well be a mind conditioning effect. Because your skin improved, and you believed it to improve, it continued to improve. The other side of the coin is that if you remove your swimming and the ocean, your condition returns, mainly because of your belief of the benefits, of the ocean and swimming, have been removed. If you could reprogram or recondition your mind to think that things are good for your skin, your skin may improve. This may very well be a positive placebo effect. Since P comes from the inside the ocean really should have no real effect on it other to sooth it, as does many topicals.

the ocean has a physical effect on P. It's not a positive mind effect, it's the actual ocean. When I go to the beach, I clear up; when I tan in the sun, I clear up, no matter the mood. My uncle cleared his P by going to the beach.

before I went to the forum, I had no idea that the sea would help with P. I'm not sure it's been scientifically proven, but science doesnt mean anything; heck science hasnt even got a clue on how to cure P. So far, only nature can ;)

** Originally posted by grannyfranny **

I read in our paper that our beaches are polluted because of people leaving "stuff and things" on the sand, therefore, the water close to the sand had lots of bacteria in it.
So, if you go to the beach, be sure to clean thoroughly and put an antibiotic on any open places.

** Originally posted by MikeCa **

I also have very possitive experience with salt sea water and sunbathing on P. I believe that it is a combination of both, mainly sun which helps P to clear. Salt water helps body to get rid of toxins.
One has to be careful as to how much one is exposed to sun. Several years ago I went to Greece with mild case of P afte streps infection. It took about 10 days for me to clear completly. I was so happy and decided to continue suntanning for next 10 days. Few days after my body began to itch and at the end of my 3rd week my body was covered 80% with P, something I never ever experienced before.
After my arrival back home I visited my derm and she was truly shocked knowing my previous health history. She gave me prescription for topical oitment and cortison cream which I refused to use. In one month my P cleared on its own and after that I was almost 5 years P free despite the fact that jobwise and otherwise those were my most stresful years of my life. I often wonder what would happen if I go through the same experience. If I know it worked and I would be guaranted 5 years P free I may go and repeat it again. It is true that I was exposed to sun for 6-8 hours a day during the peak hours, which may cause potential for skin cancer. However if one is wise with suntanning stay this is wonderful weapon to fight P.
Using sea salt in the tub over the winter work to the certain degree, synergic effect of sun and salt cannot be achieved.

** Originally posted by chaimFL **

It's more the sun than the salt water. Salt water will help remove the scales and even take some of the red out, but the true clearing comes from sun light. Anyone of our frequest Dead Sea visitors can attest to this.

I know I have seen some clearing from doing yard work without a shirt on. If I recall correctly Pam cleared completely from doing a lot of yard work in the summer while exposing as much P as she felt comfortable.

** Originally posted by ARL **

The sun did nothing at all for my P,,,I know the soaking in epson salt did the trick,,,I faithfully did a 30 min. bath soak every day for a few months ,,,I used coconut oil after the baths,,,I also added some olive oil,,,,right now i'm clear all over,,,my hands are great,,,my toes and feet are great,,,except my left sole,,,but is also much better than it was....

** Originally posted by prowens **

wavegirl,

I am in the process of moving to folly beach so I can cure my psoriasis!! I have a boat and spend at least 2 weekends a month at the coast just to get that saltwater and sun on my body. I have even brought some saltwater home with me to soak in but it did not help without the sun. I have found that if you leave the saltwater on for about 4 hours before showering works the best. If I go the the beach for one week and enjoy the ocean and sun 3-4 hours every day I come home 90% p free.

Having fun in the sun,
Patty

** Originally posted by RichJ **

wavegirl,

I am in the process of moving to folly beach so I can cure my psoriasis!! I have a boat and spend at least 2 weekends a month at the coast just to get that saltwater and sun on my body. I have even brought some saltwater home with me to soak in but it did not help without the sun. I have found that if you leave the saltwater on for about 4 hours before showering works the best. If I go the the beach for one week and enjoy the ocean and sun 3-4 hours every day I come home 90% p free.

Having fun in the sun,
Patty

hi patty,
im glad you found some thing to help you and welcome to the p family. you have met some of the wonderful people on here and will find alot of great info. welcome and nice to meet you

have a good night all

richard

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support the National Psoriasis Foundation

Help the National Psoriasis Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the National Psoriasis Foundation

Discussion topics

Additional resources

Community leaders