Nurse with new psoriatic arthritis

Hey everyone,
Your stories truely inspire...feeling like a pile of poop on my couch, can't get out of my own way. Say rheum yesterday and going to start methotrexate and folic acid, but will need to be on flexeril and celebrex until it kicks in. Taking 900mg neurontin in addition to IBS meds, depression, anxiety...blah, blah blah...
I really do not know what to do with myself....too tired, weak, and uncomfortable. Just lost job, but shouldn't work with sick patients once I start methotrexate.

49 replies. Join the discussion

Hi Tina..taking methotrexate will not hinder your ability to care for patients. In fact..you may feel like a million bucks and better than ever.

Hoping for the best for you.

ox

Hey Willy,
Thanks so much for your reply. I run into so many crazy infections, and of course use protective stuff, but I am hoping not to get sick as my MD said I will have to stop methotrexate right away. Feeling like $50 bucks would be great...hahaha
-T

I have a friend who is a school nurse who takes MTX (talk about a breeding ground of infection). Hopefully MTX will give you some relief, but if it doesn't there are several other options to explore. Depending on how advanced the arthritis is you may even be able to go back into your career field with some personal modifications you do on your own for your own comfort and safety.

I sympathize with your feeling defeated and deflated. Being unemployable is a not too distant reality for me. I'm at the end of the line for medicinal treatment options with Simponi. MTX is just the tip of the iceberg. You still have hope!

sounds like U qualify for Disability

http://www.ssa.gov/pgm/disability.htm

Welcome TinaBRN, sorry to here about your diagnosis and job loss, that's really a double whammy. I wanted to tell you that you are pretty much on all the same med's as I am on except for the NSAID, I take Mobic. Anyway I have been on MTX for 3 years now and I can tell you that I do not get sick any more often than I did beforehand. With that said, if you do get sick you have to be proactive and see your doctor right away and stop MTX as your doctor has already told you because a head cold or minor infection can blow up into a bigger deal very easily. As you know practicing good hygiene, hand washing, etc... is really the key to staying healthy. I personally know a few nurses with PA who have continued to work and they are on MTX as well as a Biologic, also there are areas of Nursing where you would not necessarily come into contact with contagious patients so maybe that is something you may want to consider.

The most important thing for you to do for now is to accept your diagnosis, and then do everything in your power to get the best care and to take care of yourself. Be hopeful you have every reason to believe that you will soon be feeling better, not perfect but better. If you ever need to talk feel free to PM me. Deanna

Sorry to hear you feel like crap and you lost your job.Life can get overwhelming sometimes but hang in there.Once you start on MTX and get a treatment plan to suite you life will get better.
I had a fluvax and pnumonia shot before starting MTX.I take mine before bed after I eat something and sleep right through. I started to feel better in a couple of weeks and it is great to be able to wake up pain free. Not everyone gets side effects I don't.
I wash my hands after being out and think that helps me keep well.Regular blood tests keep an eye on things.I was told if I am sick enough to have a day off work then I can stop MTX that week.Look after yourself and catch up on some sleep while you are off work.Good luck.

Thank you so much for your reply. Hopeful. If we can take the "edge" off our discomfort, I know we'd all be appreciative of that. That would feel like a big difference to us. Baby steps....will keep that in mind.
Ty and take care.

I am on STD, so that make be a future possiblility. Thanks for the info!

Thank you Deanna I definitely will!

Thanks so much. Slept better last night, but only slept two hours night before...but feeling more rested today. Yay!

Morning Tina, hope you are feeling emotionally and physically better. I also worked in the Health Field, but got injured at work falling to my knee's. Pain intensified, and 3 months later I was unable to stand up, or barely walk. I was started on the same Meds as you, and that was in January 2012, and was amazed with Physical therapy, and Meds, was walking and in June joined a gym, and have been working out 3x a week, and yes some days are better than others but, I do feel exercise is key to lubricate joints, and increase blood flow for circulation. Of, course there is a debate on eating healthy natural foods, but I am on the side of eating a healthier diet consisting of juicing, and healthy vegetable and fruit smoothies. Try not to have anticipatory anxiety of what to expect when you take Methotrexate, everyone reacts differently to meds, as I am sure you are very well aware of.
Hope you put on your thinking cap, because I do have alot of faith and trust in Dr.Oz, he appears to be a Doctor of integrity, caring, compassion, and a truly dedicated Physician, so lets hope he takes up our cause, and answers our plea's of hope.
Thanks
Dashn1

Love to you and thank you for your support and to help keep my eye on the ball!

Hello, Just wanted to respond as one nurse to another. I have PsA since 2008 and I work as a Public Health nurse in a school setting. I am also on MTX and folic acid. I was exposed to many people during the H1 N1 outbreak in 2010 and I didn't get sick at all. I have had no colds or anything since being on the MTX. Some of the other post contain some really good tips. Don't give up. The MTX may take a few weeks (up to 12) before you will notice the effect. The best thing I did was switch to the injectable since it is supposed to be more effective- up to 30% better. In the mean time, be patient with yourself. Move as much as you can and try to eat nutritious food.

Hi everyone,

I am on this site because a friend of mine has all the symptoms of psoriatic arthritis. he is going to see a rheumatologist soon. what treatments have worked for all of you?

FrannyT I have to agree with you on the injectable form of MTX, I too feel it works better and no awful stomach upset and nausea. Best decision I ever made was switching from the pills.

Rhem put me on celebrex until it kicks in. Also neurontin 900. Can't wait for SE to go away already. Just started MTX today...crossing my fingers...and will continue to wash my hands all day. Thank you all...so much appreciated! xo

hello tinabrn

i too am a nurse. i worked on med/surg floors. the constant handwashing did not help not one bit. i miss my old life, i loved what i did for a living. it sounds like you are going to be disabled. i was being stubborn in the beginning hoping against hope that i would get better, didn't happen and i filed for disability. if you are as incapacitated as you sound i would suggest that you start the process with social security asap. hard pill to swallow. i suppose it's a blessing in disguise that only my hands and feet are a mess, look like a burn victim when i flare. somedays my hands are absolutely useless. i'm not on any meds right now but i'm in the process for finding a dermatologist to start this journey all over again. much luck to you......

Hey Michelle,
Good luck to you as well! I am sorry for what your going through. I think disability is going to be in my future. I have palmoplantar psoriasis as well, along with fibromyalgia. I think I am on my way to disability as well. All of the boot camp Nursing School work seems a waste. But I agree about getting sick and the bacteria that we are around constantly, especially with resistant bacterias.
I know how uncomfortable they must feel. You have to becareful of infection that no dust or fibers stick to it. I always knew when that happened because it felt so painful when that happens.
I did ok with working for awhile. Just tried to push through the day to get home and take a nap. But I cannot push anymore. I hope we feel better soon:)
Tina

Tina
Hope U saw my link above
The sooner the better because it often can take 2 months to a year to be approved.

http://www.ssa.gov/pgm/disability.htm

Yes Julia, I did. And I added to my favs. I will take your advice and thank you so much! hugs..

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support the National Psoriasis Foundation

Help the National Psoriasis Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the National Psoriasis Foundation

Discussion topics

Additional resources

Community leaders