Nail Ridges

I have tiny "fish scale like" layered horizontal ridges on 4 of my fingernails. This is new. Is it due to my psoriasis or maybe fungal? Not enough to have plaques now nails are involved.

5 replies. Join the discussion

Hi - I have had this for many years and have always considered it part of the affects of psoriasis. Nail oil helps a little.

Oh, okay thank you. Will try oils. Thanks, again.

I stopped eating dairy and these went away. I started eating dairy and they came back.

jmy

Yes, from what I have read this can be caused by your P.

This is from WebMD.com on the topic of Nail Psoriasis.

""If you have psoriasis of the nails, you might notice the following signs:

Clear yellow-red nail discoloring that looks like a drop of blood or oil under the nail plate: Your doctor may refer to this as an oil drop or a salmon patch. This is a sign you have nail psoriasis.

Little pits in your nails: A doctor may call this pitting of the nail matrix. Pits develop when cells are lost from the nail's surface.

Lines going across the nails (side to side rather than root to tip): These are also called Beau lines of the nail. Cells respond to psoriasis by becoming inflamed from time to time, which causes these lines.

Areas of white on your nail plate: Also called leukonychia or midmatrix disease. It is also caused by a reaction of your cells to psoriasis.

Thickening of the skin under your nail: The doctor may call this subungual hyperkeratosis. This can lead to loosening of the nail.

Loosening of the nail: Also referred to as onycholysis of the nail bed and nail hyponychium. Your nail may develop a white area where it is separated from the skin underneath your nail. It usually starts at the tip of the nail and extends toward the root. The nail bed (skin under your nail) may become infected.

Crumbling of the nail: The condition is also called nail plate crumbling at the nail bed or nail matrix. The nail weakens because the underlying structures are not healthy.

Tiny vertical black lines in the nail: Your doctor may call this a splinter hemorrhage or dilated tortuous capillaries in the dermal papillae. This occurs when the tiny capillaries in the tip of your fingers bleed between the nail and the skin under the nail.

Redness of the pale arched area at the bottom of your nail: Also called spotted lunula. It occurs when the capillaries under the nail are congested.

Arthritis of your fingers with nail changes: The nails are affected in 53%-86% of people who have psoriatic arthritis.

Nail psoriasis can also occur together with fungal infections of the nail (onychomycosis) and inflammation of the skin around the edges of your nail (paronychia)."

I think we develop nail fungus when the nail lift or loosen because it is so hard to keep them clean or dry. My nails have lifted 3 different times. I lost about 3/4 of one big toenail and about 1/2 of the other one. The doctors always say nail fungus anytime I mention it. My nail are improving because my P seems to be improving, right now.

Reta

Organic coconut oil is what I rub into my nails. It has an antifungal property which could also help. I have been good for months now. When my nails lifted, I cut them back as much as I could and that seemed to help me keep them dry underneath and rub in the oil. I only ever had some slight flaking and pitting. Before that I used Olive oil, Almond oil and numerous hand and nail creams. The coconut oil has worked the best for me. I still have ridges from base to tip on every nail. My thumb nails have a curved red line that shows through from underneath. No soreness. I am hoping that it won't come back.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support the National Psoriasis Foundation

Help the National Psoriasis Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the National Psoriasis Foundation

Discussion topics

Additional resources

Community leaders