nail psoriasis

** Originally posted by rantalek **

Within the last few months I have developed horrible psoriasis in my nails, and they are starting to fall off.

Does anyone have any advice as to what might help?

16 replies. Join the discussion

** Originally posted by vick441 **

I don't have any advice, but I'd also like to know what can be done. I started getting it in my finger and toenails about 5 months ago. So far I've got it in 3 fingernails, with the 4th one just starting. I have lost both of my big toenails...one of them is the 2nd time. They grow back, but grow back loose and will fall off again. I use to keep acrylic nails on all the time before it started in my fingernails. They do say it is good to use them for cosmetic reasons, but mine are so far gone I'm afraid to try to glue a tip on them for fear of fungal infection. I can do my own and am still thinking about doing it and just change them completely once a week to keep them fresh.

I'll watch this post for some answers maybe. I hate this dreaded disease.

Vicky

** Originally posted by cgauton **

I was prescibed Methotrexate for Plaque PS and the nails cleared up.
It did take time and I also had a problem with an in growing toe nail , caused by the PS.
I don't think there is an easy answer but Mtx seemed to work.

Charles

** Originally posted by rogerrabbitt **

no real ans> for me too hope somebody helps

** Originally posted by rantalek **

Do you guys also have swelling? The fingers where my nails are bad are really swollen, it looks like I have alien fingers...does this happen to any of you?

My dermatologist injected a steroid into the nailbeds, but it doesn't seem to have helped and is a pretty painful procedure...I may let them do it one more time to see if it works any better.

** Originally posted by winter **

I can just tell you from my experience that once my doctor switched me to methotrexate when I was having a bad flare of pustular psoriasis and nail damage to both hands and feet, the P cleared up almost completely and my nails on my hands look human again. Still some problems with toe nails but I am on a minimal dosage. I was reluctant to take M at first and resisted for several years. My dermatologist is conservative about the use of M so that I can keep using it longer. If your doctor recommends it, give it a go.

Some dermatologists are treating P very aggresively. I would like to have NPF take a look at that. Good luck and success.

** Originally posted by vick441 **

Yes, I have some swelling, redness and they are tender. They look awful. I have it completly on 3 fingernails, with a 4th one just starting. The swelling isn't to bad, but the ugliness of the nails is what I hate the most.

Vicky

** Originally posted by Ophelia **

I know I am late with the reply--It started with one nail and over the last two years I have watched all my finger and toenails one by one crumble and pitt. It is horrible and the pain around my finger tips is unbearable. I put fake nails from the drup store on but it gets tedious and I am afraid to go to a salon for fear of ridicule. Now, I am seriously considering embrel. Of course, the nails are the most difficult to treat. Best of luck--I really understand what you are going through.
K

** Originally posted by flakequeen **

Hi all -- Flakequeen here again.

Don't be afraid to go to a salon to have your nails done. I have been doing it for years. I get both a manicure and a pedicure and I have had p on my nails for years. When I was younger, I lost all my fingernails twice. My fingers were so bad that the tips were raw and cracked and I didn't even have a fingerprint (I worked for a bank and had issues being bonded). I have a professional executive job and I have to be around people all the time, shaking hands... I had to do something about it.

I will suggest that you call the salon ahead of time and explain to them on the phone that you have p. If they don't understand what that is, don't go to them. Find another one. Once you have a place you can go to, I also recommend getting your own tools. If they can't keep them there stored for you, just bring them with you everytime you go. Having p makes us have a higher risk of infection, so just make sure the tools are always clean.

Another added note is that acrylic is not good for you. I get silk wraps to keep the nail looking smooth and it keeps the nail from yellowing. I let them grow out instead of taking them off. After a couple of weeks, I go back and get them done again. This gives them a chance to "breathe". As far as the toe nails, I just try to keep them smooth with a buffer every other day and always keep them short and cut straight across to prevent ingrown toe nails. Keep them clean (using a nail scrub brush in the shower to keep the skin from building up around the cuticle area.

Having p makes us high maintenance, but it is nice to have people always comment on how nice I keep my nails and only me and my manicurist knows the truth. Good luck to you all.

** Originally posted by saxondryker **

I, too, have nail psoriasis. It began in my toe nails approx 11 years ago, and now I have it in all my finger nails and toe nails. I believe the swelling the others have mentioned is psoriatic arthritis. That's how my PA was diagnosed. My toe nails are awfully thick and I file (almost chisel) away at them for the chance to wear sandals without looking too odd! I have to keep all my nails polished at all times or the psoriasis underneath the nail is very embarrassing to me. I started wearing acrylic nails last year because I was sick of the weakness it causes in the nail and then BAM, one would break. I don't think the acylic has made my nails any worse. I think that Melaleuca oil really helps the p under the nail. It's such a difficult fom of P to treat and the derms don't offer too much advice. Frustrating! I too, am eager for any other recommendations of things that may help. I'm going to be consistant with using the Melaleuca this year to see if I can get the stuff cleared up. Good luck to you!

** Originally posted by Bryar **

Here's a link to a recent study using a cyclosporin solution that might offer a glimmer of hope.
http://www.docguide.com/news/content.nsf/news/8525697700573E1885256CE200775 CEE?OpenDocument&id=48dde4a73e09a969852568880078c249&c=Psoriasis&count=10

Stephen

** Originally posted by PJLeary **

Hi,

I also use a manicurist weekly, and she does my pedicure as required, about once a month. I have no shame, and get wonderful service and look fabulous. If only the rest of the world knew how bad they ( my nails ) are! I shopped as queen did, and have stayed with the best. I am on the elephant nail side of nail psoriasis, so as long as they are filed and buffed and polished well, I look great. The folks who loose their nails have other mountains to climb.

Might I remind all consumers once again, we are PAYING customers. This is how they make their living. We are the employers. We get to choose what services we want, and how we want them delivered. They get to choose their fees , we all make choices concerning delivery of said services.

Regards,

PJ Leary

Thank you, thank you to everyone with good advice--do the acrylic nails really make your nails look better?--I am concerned because my nails are raised and detached and keeping them short is not an option because they crumble and make my fingertips really sore. I am willing to try acrylic since I really don't think they can get worse. My Dr. suggests enbrel because I am so distressed. Anyone know of a salon on Philadelphia to go to with nail p?
K

** Originally posted by flakequeen **

Are you in Center City or a suburb of Philly?

I live in center city and work in the suburbs

** Originally posted by craigc **

hi all, ive had nail P for almost 20 years. i recently started taking nail injections of Kenelog and after 3 treatments my nails look very much better. the skin is attaching to the nail plate and many of the nails are coming out almost totally normal. i get the shots once a month. fingers that were always the worst are even coming out almost normal. BTW, my derm tells me that if i take Meth they will definatley clear up. not sure yet, because this is working well, although it is painful. hope this helps, craigc

** Originally posted by kwilton **

I went to my regular physitian because I first thought I had toenail fungus. He prescribed Lamisil for me and It allmost completely cleared up. However I was only on it for 2months and you are suposed to be on it for a minimum of 3 which I didn't know so it came back. I have been thinking of trying it again only for 3 months this time. My dermotologist however wouldnt prescribe this for me because it was psoriasis and not fungus. I just thought maybe if it worked the 1st time it will work the 2nd if I take it long enough. It can be soooo painful at times.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support the National Psoriasis Foundation

Help the National Psoriasis Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the National Psoriasis Foundation

Discussion topics

Additional resources

Community leaders