MTX, FOLIC acid and mouth sores returning

Hi I'm wondering if you all can give me more insight into why my mouth sores could be returning. I've been taking 7 (800mcg) folic acid pills a day while taking 7 (2.5mg) of MTX a week. The amount of folic acid had been taking care of the mouth sores. Just 4 days ago all of a sudden I got one that has stuck around. I up'd my folic acid to 10 and still nothing happening.

Is it normal for the folic acid to have to increase even though I haven't increased the MTX dosage. I've been on this dose for about 3 months now.

Thanks for all of your insight!

6 replies. Join the discussion

That much folic acid seems way too much. I'm on 8 mtx pills a week and only take 1000mcg a day. Is that what your dr. Has you on? Just curious. I've never had any mouth sores so I can't help you with that , sorry. Hope you find help .

I had just experience a mouth sore a few weeks ago and it lasted like 2 weeks on the roof of my mouth...I am taking 8 metx. a week and also mobic 15 mg and 1 mg folic acid...if I put my tongue up there I still feel something like a scar...

I take 7 MTX a week at once and 1 folic acid a day. You seem to be taking way to much folic acid to me. I thought Folic acid was supposed to help hair loss and enzymes in your liver I have never heard of taking more folic acid for mouth sores. Also I have never had a mouth sore taking MTX and folic acid.

Hi,
I thought it was too much too but both my doctors say folic acid is water soluable and it simply passes through the body, so there is no harm done. I started at 5 MTX and 1 sore appeared. I just assumed taking a 1:1 ratio of MTX to folic acid would work. It did. As I increased to 7 I just did the same with folic acid. Low and behold about 2 weeks ago another sore came back while I was still on same dose of MTX. So I jacked it up to 10 800mcg folic acid. I'm seeing my rheumy next week and will dicuss taking the Folic acid down...while there is no harm taking that much it is a hassle swallowing do many pills. When I find out I'll repost. Thanks for your help.

C

Glad to hear that the folic acid is working for you. I tend to get my sores on the walls of my mouth in the front....it makes eating a pain. I'll need to look into the mobic acid. Thanks for the input.
C

Glad the MTX and folic acid are working for you. And happy that you haven't had any mouth sores. I hope you can avoid them. They are annoying, but a small price to pay for the help of MTX. Thanks for your input.
C

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support the National Psoriasis Foundation

Help the National Psoriasis Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the National Psoriasis Foundation

Discussion topics

Additional resources

Community leaders