Mites and Skin Conditions

** Originally posted by Mybadgenes **

Oh, I surely would hate to think this is MY reason for psoriasis.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060928/hl_nm/dustmites_dc_1

Juanita

15 replies. Join the discussion

** Originally posted by Dulane **

Eeeewwwweee.

They say that P may be partially a skin barrier issue.

Makes ya wanna change the sheets, doesn't it?

:eek:

** Originally posted by GitOverIt **

I have always felt that dust mites are not the healthiest things to have over for dinner!
I have mentioned it before somewhere on this forum!... I change my sheets every other day because of the critters and curcumin, ointments, oils and because I like fresh sheets...I just sleep better!

when I read this article I went looking for "HELP" and found one article that gave some help and guidance!

http://www.medic8.com/healthguide/articles/housedustmiteguard.html

** Originally posted by twinieten **

In Arizona, supposedly dust mites aren't a huge problem here, but certainly not non-existent! I started using an enzyme cleaner called Kleen Free, for odor and for a safe alternative cleaner, also thinking switching a cleaner might help with the p.

I'm quite happy with it, except for the smell. Supposedly this stuff is excellent for control of all kinds of little bugs, including dust mites, biting mites, bed bugs, lice, along with mold, mildew, algae, bacteria, and it breaks down organic matter too. With kids, dogs, cat, rabbits, I needed a safe cleaner that deals with odors and organic matter (vomit, pee, food spills...) and it really did the trick in that department! I'm going to try a different cleaner next time I buy, I can't remember the name, to see if it smells any better. The stuff is expensive, but a little goes a long way.

** Originally posted by seedoubleyou **

Hmmmmmm .... well, dust mites do feed on skin flakes!! :eek:

My son is allergic to everything under the sun, literally, and we were given a long "to-do" list to help improve his asthma. Bought HEPA air cleaners. Also purchased similar (high-quality) filters for the a/c. And, had the air ducts scrubbed/cleaned out (major pricey undertaking).

As well, I was instructed that to be most effective, bedding should be laundered in HOT water to kill dust mites.

An interesting aside -- his allergies have improved 100% since moving FROM Arizona, back to Texas. Contrary to popular myth, Arizona is actually one of the worst places in the nation, allergy-wise.

** Originally posted by MrsSooners74 **

ooo OOO ooooOOO OOOooooOOO..... I have a HUGE PHOBIA of ANY LITTLE TINY BUG, DUST MITE, basically anything that crawls and flies.... I also have a phobia of birds... I knew I should have skipped right over this thread BUT I just had to read it... I just changed my sheets last night but after reading this article my bed got stripped once again and changed..... OH MAN I DONT THINK I WILL SLEEP TONIGHT!!!!! I think tonight i'll be sleeping in long sleeves and long pants, socks, gloves and a hat LOL!!!!! oooo ooo I got the heebie geebies now!!!! NO TO DUST MITES!!!!!!!!!!

Hmmmmmm .... well, dust mites do feed on skin flakes!! :eek:

As well, I was instructed that to be most effective, bedding should be laundered in HOT water to kill dust mites.

An interesting aside -- his allergies have improved 100% since moving FROM Arizona, back to Texas. Contrary to popular myth, Arizona is actually one of the worst places in the nation, allergy-wise.

Ah, yes, there was a time when that statement would not have been true, but now, Arizona is not the best place to be to get away from allergy problems. I think the biggest issue is mulberry, olive trees, and other plants that are not native to the state, and toss in the smog and pollotion which is increasing. Still, I have read over and over that dust mites are less problematic here since the weather is too dry most of the time. Surely during monsoon season mites thrive (humidity) and surely they exist here.

I washed the sheets in hot water once. They shrunk. Won't do it again.

** Originally posted by SuzanneT **

Have you seen the segments that they've been doing on the epidemic of BED BUGS in upscale hotels? It was pretty gross, and makes me think twice about sleeping in any bed other than my own. :eek:

** Originally posted by Paco386 **

YIKES! Does anyone know if dust mites can live in air mattreses? I thought they only live within traditional mattresses.

** Originally posted by PJ66 **

Paco,
I don't know.

You all are making me itch. I'm already itchy but now I'm super itchy just thinking about this.
Polly

** Originally posted by GitOverIt **

paco I don't think so...but all bedding is suspect inc. pillows, rugs...wherever skin is ....

YIKES! Does anyone know if dust mites can live in air mattreses? I thought they only live within traditional mattresses.

Paco, you'll find evidence of the bugs on the mattress, particularly along the edges. You'll be able to see dried blood and black specks. Did you know the headboards of some hotels are attached to the wall? You can pull those off and find evidence of bed bugs or the actual bugs. If you were to lift the mattress, you'd probably find them between the mattress and the box spring.... saw a show about it. YUCK! They'll get on people's clothes and they take them home!

** Originally posted by Mybadgenes **

Paco, you'll find evidence of the bugs on the mattress, particularly along the edges. You'll be able to see dried blood and black specks. Did you know the headboards of some hotels are attached to the wall? You can pull those off and find evidence of bed bugs or the actual bugs. If you were to lift the mattress, you'd probably find them between the mattress and the box spring.... saw a show about it. YUCK! They'll get on people's clothes and they take them home!

....but I think he was referring to mites ... not bed bugs ! :eek:
We can't see mites or evidence of them. But I am not liking the idea of sleeping in hotels or motels anymore. I'll never sleep well again.

And Karen, You sleep standing up and I'll float in the bathtub. :p

Juanita

We can't see mites or evidence of them. But I am not liking the idea of sleeping in hotels or motels anymore. I'll never sleep well again.
Juanita

You're right. It was Suzanne who mentioned bed bugs so when paco asked how if mites live in air mattresses my mind went to how to tell if you have bed bugs. LOL! You can't tell if you have mites, but you can tell if you have bed bugs!

** Originally posted by thunderbolt999 **

t mites are really gross and cause all sorts of allergy problems. i found a cool picture of them.

http://bioprin.posterous.com/tag/atmen

** Originally posted by RichJ **

hi thunderbolt999,
welcome to the p family. you have meet some of the wonderful people on here and will find alot of great info. welcome and nice to meet you. those t mite are gross:eek::eek::eek: and i hope i don't have nightmares:)

try and have a good day all

richard

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support the National Psoriasis Foundation

Help the National Psoriasis Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the National Psoriasis Foundation

Discussion topics

Additional resources

Community leaders