MINOCYCLINE

Hi I am about to start minocycline alongside Enbrel which i have been on for 7 months please can anyone share there knowledge or opinions on this topic . I have Rheumatoid Arthritis but my sister in law suffers with P.A. so it would be great to pass on your info to help her also. thkq , Tiger.

17 replies. Join the discussion

Go to psoriasis.org

Maybe there's also an equivalent site in the UK?

There is an "Antibiotic Protocol for Arthritic conditions" not widely accepted at all but some folks have had success with it. Minocycline is an antibiotic in the Tetracycline family and is traditionally used to treat severe acne from what I have read. I would do a google search on arthritis and antibiotics and see what you can find. Like I have said previously this is not an accepted protocol.

Would that be "off label"?

This has helped myself and my daughter immensely! She is off humia and methotrexate because she, as well as myself, feel so much better after 7months on minocycline. We did feel as though we were dying from the inside out. Our pain is much less(65-75 less) . Perhaps this is because PA could be caused by a leaky gut syndrome -- for which they do prescribe antibiotics (metronidazol). I take that when needed alongside the minocycline and get even more relief. Since leaky gut cannot be cured, perhaps the best we can do is manage with antibiotics for life. That is OK with me as we both feel soooo much better! My daughter was hospitalized for a severe infection while on humira and because she has a diagnosed primary immune deficiency, really cannot be on immune suppressing drugs anymore. It may take awhile but hang in there and don't quit. Sooner or later you will notice a big difference, even, perhaps, remission! Best to get a dr. who is familiar with this protocol. I have not had any psoriasis since I started treatment. ( mine was the inverse type and scalp psoriasis). I would, indeed, recommend that you look into this as it is safe and effective. Study, study and then make your own decision concerning this. ( www.The road back foundation.com)

Hi Andrew not sure what off label means but Minocycline is not licenced to treat Arthritis. but do look at the road back foundation in R A if your interested. thats what i did and 7 months later my doctor has agreed to me taking it . I am very excited about this oppurtunity after 12 years of R.A. all best wishes, Tiger .

Dear Margey yours is exactly the information I hope to see congrats on yours and your daughters improvement. It has taken me 7 months of nagging ! to get my Doctor to agree. Minocycline is not used as a rule in england so although my doctor has agreed and i have researched the road back and read two books by Dr Brown and Henry scammel it would be a great help to me if you could share which brand of mino your on and what dose you take each day ? i would be so grateful to have any advice about taking it thanks . Tiger.

Thanks for your comments .

Dear tiger woo,
I am so glad you are interested and are up to speed on it! I see a Dr. in Ida Grove, Iowa, who was taught by Dr.Brown 35 years ago, and has had a lot of experience. I take 100mg. Twice a day. It is a generic made by a company named Watson. Other generics are not reliable. It is best to take the brand name, but it is too expensive and my insurance won't pay for it. Maybe in England you could get it. While the book said to take the meds mon. Wed. Fri. My Dr. Said to take it every day. Why the difference? He said that was the way Dr. brown did it. He only put the patients on M-W-F after they went into remission. It is important to take it on an empty stomach, one hour before breakfast or two hours after a meal (at night).
I know this is working for us and hope that it does for you, too. Good luck! If you have problems, please contact me.

All kinds of medicines are used 'off label'. In fact, the practice of medicine would grind to a halt if medications were only used for their approved indications.

Having said that, are you sure the doctor said Minocycline (an antibiotic) or did they say Methotrexate (a commonly used medication for arthritis and psoriasis)?

Enbrel and Methotrexate are commonly used in combination.

You are an Angel ! thks so much . regarding the expensive mino . Do you mean the non generic lederie brand ? I wonder if you could get me the details of the mino you know of, if its not lederie. many thks I would like to keep in touch by email if you are willing. is there anyway i can contact you in private on this sight to give you my details thks Tiger.

Thanks for your interest. I am taking Enbrel and Methotrexate now. but very soon will replace methotrexate with minocyline after 7 months researching minocyline . Thks Tiger.

I have been sucessfully treating my psoriatic arthritis with Minocycline since June 2008 and added Low Dose Naltrexone in 2009. It has been a life saver for me. My story is on the testimonial section of the Road Back Foundation for anyone interested. I take 100mg generic Minocycline daily and 4mg LDN at bedtime. I currently do not have to use any NSAID"s.
vinnylid

Hi vinny, thks "life saver" you say, such fantastic news ,its great to here of yet more success. thanks for your details on your daily dose. pls can you share the brand name of your mino. This will be valuable info for me as i need my Doctor to prescribe a brand that works well, now that at last they have agreed to treat me with mino.thkq Tiger.

The Minocyline that I am using is made by Watson Labs. Did you read my testimonial on www.roadback.org

I, also, use Watson labs. I find it better than others b, have not tried lederlie. I am looking into NAltrexone, too. I have read that it is very helpful. Vinney's story is very good but I would be glad to answer questions! My email is margaretdaines@yahoo.com. I also found out recently that I am sensitive to wheat and have cut it out. This has made a huge difference in my pain level. There are some doctors here in the states who require a patient go off wheat and possibly dairy in order to be treated with antibiotics. But if you do not notice a difference then you are not sensitive. It's all trial and error. Certainly not very many patients are sensitive. Good luck with your minocycline! you can now feel that this is the beginning of the end. (Winston Churchill) There is hope!

Thank you vinny, Tiger.

Thanks so much for your email Margey , I shall mail you after this, I am so pleased to make a new friend, as well as have you there for advice and support. I want to chat about herxheimer and vitamins etc and all that jazz ! Best wishes Tiger.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support the National Psoriasis Foundation

Help the National Psoriasis Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the National Psoriasis Foundation

Discussion topics

Additional resources

Community leaders