Milk Thistle

** Originally posted by CHOPTRIUMPHCHICK **

I have tried milk thistle after reading about it here under alterative treatments. I have been on it for a week and it is helping so much. I have psoriasis on my knuckles, fingers, elbows, knees and legs and the milk thistle is clearing it up. Before when the scales would come off, the area around the lesion would bleed and create a larger lesion or my knuckles would crack and bleed leading to larger lesions, but now when the scales come off there is no bleeding and HEALTHY skin underneath. I still have the redness, but I think over time this will also go away. We do not have a family history of this and I only developed it 2 years ago and all I have to go by as to why I developed it is that I went through a terrible situation right before this developed, so I am going to relate mine to stress. I have tried numerous treatments over the past 2 years and just sort of gave up...nothing worked. I am too afraid to try the treatments that are advertised on T.V...they have too many side effects and I'd rather deal with the psoriasis than have a more dangerous health issue to deal with. I also use Skin So Soft (by Avon) before I get out of the shower on the affected areas to help lock in the moisture and throughout the day I use bacitracin to keep the areas moist and free of germs. I take the milk thistle 3 times a day with a meal. I purchased Life Fitness Milk Thistle @ 175 mg at my local drug store for about $9.00 and it was on sale with a BOGO so I got 2 bottles for the price of one. The only side effect I have noticed it a bit of bloating after eating a large meal, but that is nothing compared to what I am experiencing with my psoriasis actually clearing up!! That is a trade I'd make over and over again. I hope this helps someone in their journey to clearing up their psoriasis.

94 replies. Join the discussion

** Originally posted by TheOne1313 **

Thats good stuff. Ive been using Milk Thistle as well.....not so much for my psoriasis but because its good for the liver. I cleared up as well, tho I cant say it was because of the milk thistle, the vitamins, the fish oil or the humira lol.

I can contribute my clearing to the Milk Thistle...I was not on or using anything else besides the Skin So Soft and the bacitracin and both of those did nothing except stop the itching!

** Originally posted by TheOne1313 **

interesting.

Maybe the Milk Thistle is doing something for me lol

It could be =)
I just wish I took before and after photos. I was not sure it would do anything like the rest of the treatments I have tried, but I gave it a shot and I am glad I did. It is SO EMBARRISING with it on my fingers and knuckles, it looked awful and the stares from others that was the worst. Like I had something that they could catch and there was no way of covering it unless I wore gloves, which I could not do...now it looks like bruising that is fading and it is only a week since I have been on the Milk Thistle. I will stay on this as long as it helps me!!

** Originally posted by NYGuy11 **

Does milk thistle help the scalp?

I am not sure; I do not have it there. When reading about Milk Thistle it did say that it suppresses the generation of T-cells. All I have to go by is what I am seeing and after suffering for 2 years, I am actually happy to look down at my hands again. Good luck to you, it is worth a shot.

** Originally posted by NYGuy11 **

Thanks Chop.

Anyone else out here who has scalp P and has had milk thistle help?

HI ALL...I AM LETTING YOU ALL KNOW THAT I AM ALMOST COMPLETELY CLEAR. IT HAS NOW BEEN 2 MONTHS EASY AND STILL TAKING THE MILK THISLE, NOT EVEN ONE NEW SPOT OF P AND WHAT I HAD IS ALMOST COMPLETELY GONE. IT HAS BEEN WORKING FOR ME AND NOW THAT SUMMER IS RIGHT AROUND THE BEND, I WILL NOT BE SPENDING IT ALL COVERED UP! I AM GLAD I STUMBLED OVER THE INFORMATION AND DECIDED TO GIVE IT A SHOT!! HOPE IT HAS HELPED SOMEONE ELSE OUT THERE!!

** Originally posted by JKNY **

please check in from time to time on the status of your milk thistle treatment. Thank you, It really helps us when we know that treatments are working over the long hual.

** Originally posted by peachbklyn **

Where can I find this Milk Thisle? Health food store or regular drugstore?

** Originally posted by violamom **

I use a modified barneys formula and milk thistle. After having P covering most of my trunk, neck, arms, head and face with spots on my bottom and legs .... for 2 years...

I am now almost completley clear. It has taken me about 2 months as well. very exciting stuff

** Originally posted by Aleycat **

how have you modified barneys formula? I'm doing the same thing, more or less. I just don't take the ibuprofin, I don't know why, it just doesn't seem natural to me although I know its helped a lot of people. I think i'm going to go buy some milk thistle today and add that in.

how have you modified barneys formula? I'm doing the same thing, more or less. I just don't take the ibuprofin, I don't know why, it just doesn't seem natural to me although I know its helped a lot of people. I think i'm going to go buy some milk thistle today and add that in.

Well it happened quite by accident actually. A bout 6 months ago I started taking vitamins to try and get a bit healthier. I know I dont have the best diet and I wanted to supplement it.

It started with a multi vitamin. then I added extra C. It occured to me that I was coming up on 40 pretty quick and I added calcium +D for bone health. I have some arthritis (PA?) in my shoulders and knees and added glucosamine and chondroitin. Then I added fish oil and B complex for heart health. Then on a trip to the health food store for more vits I was complaining about my P to the lady there and she suggested the milk thistle. Well hey, I was already taking a handful by then - what could a little more hurt!

I only take the IB if my arthritis is hurting or if my skin is very inflamed, which it hasnt been in about a month.

I found barney's formula after the fact and noticed that I was doing much of what BJ suggested already... but it is clear to me that the milk thistle is when I really started turning the corner.

YOU CAN FIND THE MILK THISTLE AT YOUR LOCAL DRUG STORE. I GOT MINE WHEN IT WAS ON SALE BOGO...SO I SPENT $9.00 OR SO FOR 2 BOTTLES.
GOOD LUCK TO YOU

** Originally posted by easydoesit **

Milk Thistle did absolutely nothing for me. I took it for about a year.

** Originally posted by grannyfranny **

Milk Thistle is to help protect you from medications that can harm your liver. I took it when on MTX and all my labs were good.

SORRY TO HEAR YOU HAD NO SUCESS WITH IT. I HOPE YOU DO FIND SOMETHING THAT WORKS FOR YOU!

Milk thistle
Milk thistle has been shown to inhibit human T-cell activation, which occurs in psoriasis; however, no specific studies have been done with psoriasis patients. Milk thistle products can be purchased at health food stores in tablet or fluid extract form. The herb should not be taken when a person is also taking antipsychotics or male hormones. Few adverse effects have been seen when patients take milk thistle supplements, except for brief gastrointestinal disturbances and mild allergic reactions.

THE KEY IS THAT IS SHOWS TO INHIBIT THE T-CELL ACTIVATION AND ONE OF THE MAIN FACTORS OF P IS THE OVER-ACTIVE T-CELL GENERATION. IT ALSO PROTECTS THE LIVER, AND THIS IS WHERE THE PROCESS BEGINS.

** Originally posted by harrington **

WOW, that's great. I am so happy to hear you have cleared. I'm always thrilled when something natural works wonders for someone....good going, and many thanks for sharing it.

I will definitely add Milk Thistle to my own list of natural capsules. I have an army of them now, plus an anti-inflammatory diet. No meds. I am clearing.

I have one question for you: if it inhibits T-cels what's to stop you from picking up viruses? My understanding is T-cels protect you from viruses (do I have this wrong?), so is it okay to inhibit t-cels at all, or is it simply that p suffereres make so MANY that you want to put a lid on some of them. If that is the case do you take it only until you are clear?

Also, did you follow any other natural remedies? Just curious as I like to piece together what works for people naturally. Was it ALL milk thistle for you that cleared you?

Thanks.
Amanda

WOW, that's great. I am so happy to hear you have cleared. I'm always thrilled when something natural works wonders for someone....good going, and many thanks for sharing it.

I will definitely add Milk Thistle to my own list of natural capsules. I have an army of them now, plus an anti-inflammatory diet. No meds. I am clearing.

I have one question for you: if it inhibits T-cels what's to stop you from picking up viruses? My understanding is T-cels protect you from viruses (do I have this wrong?), so is it okay to inhibit t-cels at all, or is it simply that p suffereres make so MANY that you want to put a lid on some of them. If that is the case do you take it only until you are clear?

Also, did you follow any other natural remedies? Just curious as I like to piece together what works for people naturally. Was it ALL milk thistle for you that cleared you?

Thanks.
Amanda

It is my understanding that the goal is to inhibit some T-Cell activation - I have not had any increase in colds, etc since starting the milk thistle, but I admit that I am wary...

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support the National Psoriasis Foundation

Help the National Psoriasis Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the National Psoriasis Foundation

Discussion topics

Additional resources

Community leaders