Milk of Magnesia???

** Originally posted by elliott **

Anyone try M.o.M.? I read yesterday an excsema (sp) sufferer siad it helped.

24 replies. Join the discussion

** Originally posted by grannyfranny **

Are you sure it's Milk of Magnesia? That is a laxative,,,,,,,did they take it orally or put it on the skin? Maybe it was Magnesium.

** Originally posted by elliott **

No, it was milk of magnesia and I tried it on my face and it works quite well to get rid of scaling and redness after only a few days of twice daily applications. On the third day when I was rubbing it in my skin started coming off like never before and I had to wash my face to get it all off. It was a little scary but it was all just dead skin. Face is smooth now and nearly all redness is gone as well. Pretty nice results. I bought the Walgreens brand if anyone is interested.

** Originally posted by grannyfranny **

Well,,,, it's probably ok to use it,,,strange! We never know what will help.

** Originally posted by TCNZ **

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milk_of_magnesia

"....Pharmaceutical uses..

...According to MedlinePlus Medical Encyclopedia, milk of magnesia is useful against canker sores (aphthous ulcer) when used topically.[3]

Milk of Magnesia is also used as a folk remedy, topically applied and massaged in (a few minutes before washing/shampooing), to relieve symptoms of seborrhea and dandruff. The mechanism for its effectiveness in this application, like the causes of seborrhea itself, are at present unknown.

The liquid form has also garnered a reputation as a mattifier/primer for oily skin. Individuals apply a thin layer to the face after cleansing to absorb oil and give the face a matte, smooth look. This trick was mentioned on the Tyra Banks Show, as well as by skincare guru Paula Begoun.....'

Can it be useful for P also.......???

Tom.

** Originally posted by DottieD **

I read an article in the paper last December - The People's Pharmacy column, which can be found on - http://www.peoplespharmacy.com

It stated:
Q: I have been using milk of magnesia on my face for the past few months since reading your column. My face flakes are gone!
I pour it in my hand and massage it on my face.....then I rinse it off at the end of the shower. It's a great, cost-effective alternative to expensive Nizoral and it works better, too.
A: A reader told us that a doctor suggested a topical mixture of milk of magnesia and Lotrimin AF for seborrheic dermatitis.

If you check their web site, there are also a couple of articles about using milk of magnesia to help treat acne. Since acne is also an inflammatory skin disorder, it makes sense that some people with p might be helped, too.

DottieD

** Originally posted by MadCat **

Anyone try M.o.M.?

Milk of Magnesia was the bane of my childhood.

Probably the most revolting medicine I have ever taken in my life.

Even thinking about it 30 odd years later makes me want to dry retch.

Gosh, I feel sick now.

** Originally posted by Brandi **

Hmmm, topical magnesium......not that's really interesting. I wonder if I can break open my magnesium suppliment capsules, mix with water and get the same results?

** Originally posted by Baytoven **

I've used it on our non-P dd for other reasons, so bandages release easily. It hasn't been irritating to her sensitive face, if that helps anyone.

** Originally posted by BraydonsMom **

I know this is used for children with canker sores in their mouths. Works great.

** Originally posted by LoElyse **

This is so funny, I had no idea what Milk of Magnesia was until last week. In my creative non-fiction course, we have an elderly woman and during her day for workshop where we share our papers, she had mentioned how much m.o.m. affected her. It affected her so bad that she couldnt buy a metallic blue car!
I thought I had to share :D

** Originally posted by Spotsy **

Brandi - no, don't break open your magnesium supplements! I tried that same trick and ended up with burning skin - ouch!

Trish

Brandi - no, don't break open your magnesium supplements! I tried that same trick and ended up with burning skin - ouch!

Trish

Thanks Trish!

** Originally posted by Brandlefly **

I just tried M.O.M. after reading this board on friday.

M.O.M. provided alot of relief for my scalp plaques, it gently removed the scaling and the plaques left behind were not very inflamed. It was very gentle and soothing. I am a big fan of this one!!!!!
I will write more soon when I have time.

Hi, Brandelefly,

Please let us know how you applied M.O.M. to your scalp and for how long before you rinse it out.

Thanks.

Tom.

** Originally posted by Brandlefly **

But when i get home I am going to try it for longer.

The dead skin comes off and the pink skin is not nearly as inflamed, my psoriasis looks like a million times better than it did this morning, but i still have bright pink plaques, but they aren't raised, red, or inflamed.

I am really amazed how well it worked, and how it was so soothing. I didn't irritate my skin. I think it would be a great kind of shampoo for those of us with psoriasis on the scalp.

I dunno i am gonna keep trying with it and I will keep you updated.

Hi, Brandelefly,

Glad that M.O.M. helps.

M.O.M.is not available here in New Zealand anymore......

Around nine months ago I have been using rosemary oil + SLS free shampoo as suggested
by lkm...

http://www.psoriasis-help.org.uk/forum/index.php/topic,20940.0.html

That formula works wonderful for most users (very rare case that is not working) including me.

I already have stopped using davonix scalp lotion for six months.

Maybe you would consider to add this as a step #2 after your 5-minute M.O.M. treatment.

I usually let the rosemary oil + shampoo stay for 30 minutes before rinsing.

** Originally posted by DEBAK **

I am an RN who used to do homecare and a lot of wound care in that field...we have used MOM a lot in the past on chronic ulcers with good results....don't know why i did not think of it so thanks for the idea. Also when I was at Univ of MIch last year for the GOECKERMAN therapy thay gave me some menthol and camphor to use for itching...I ran out of that and I tried good old dollar store muscle rub (same as ben gay) and it helps a lot for the itching...just be sure to apply it before you scratch the surface open or it will burn

** Originally posted by DEBAK **

Milk of Magnesia was the bane of my childhood.

Probably the most revolting medicine I have ever taken in my life.

Even thinking about it 30 odd years later makes me want to dry retch.

Gosh, I feel sick now.

Don't drink it..apply it topically to the P lesions/plaques...that should not make you wretch...the thought of taking pepto bismol does that to me but come to think of it I bet pepto would be very soothing on plaques as well. Gues Id better make a store run today!!!

Well, I've had P break out on my foot recently. Up until now it has stayed on my scalp and hairline but it is begining to show up both on my left foot as well as my left temple/forehead area. I am going to begin the MOM therapy today and I will post updates as necessary.

Just an update. MOM didn't do a thing for me.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support the National Psoriasis Foundation

Help the National Psoriasis Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the National Psoriasis Foundation

Discussion topics

Additional resources

Community leaders