Middle Finger is swollen!!!!

** Originally posted by LifesAchaLLenge **

My middle finger on my right hand has gotten more swollen in the last month and now I'm not able to clench my middle finger because it's so fat and every morning it's usually painful If I even try to clench it. I was wondering if n e one has had this problem due to psoriatic arthritis? The middle of the three rectangles on my middle finger are too fat for me to clench. "*[

21 replies. Join the discussion

** Originally posted by Bubbles **

Yes, I am afraid that is a part of PA. I have a ring finger with such a swollen knuckle that I can no longer get rings off and on that finger. Hopefully, meds will help. I am starting Humira as soon as I am approved by insurance. Maybe you should be on meds if you are not already.

Bubbles

Yes thnk u for ur response bout my problem. Cuz I've had it before but it didn't get as fat as now. And I was worried I had arthritis kick it in cuz I socked my hand on like tables n stuff when I'm angry. So I'm guessing it duz have to do with pA cuz since my psoriasis came back my finger came back but like I sed it got worse. N e one else have a similar situation? Oh yeh and I'm on meds too but running out cuz I dnt have n e insurance. I lost my job. So it's either deal with it or do the best I can to calm it down somehow ",[

** Originally posted by Ranger05 **

My middle finger has been swollen for one year straight. I can not make a fist. I'm sure it's permanant unless I have it injected. And the funny thing is, MTX has worked very well for me. I'm pretty much pain free (except for currently). But the swollen finger has remained. It is only slightly tender and works just find except for making a fist. My Rhuemy is unconcerned and says it's probably not causing any permanant damage at this time. She says it's the tendons around the joint thats inflammed and not the actual joint itself. She had offered to inject it, but it dosn't really bother me so I declined. So i'm not sure if it's the norm or not, but it is for me.

** Originally posted by KyWoman **

There is permanent damage. My finger has become petrified---stuck at a 40 degree crook. Four years ago, it was exactly as you described---so swollen I couldn't make a fist. Looked like a sausage. Even surgery only fixed it for about three months. It went right back (which the surgeon told me it may do).

Please get assistance from a Rheumatologist as soon as possible before PA does permanent damage to your finger.

** Originally posted by scottg **

My experience with finger involvement is that every time one gets swollen and I lose flexibility, if I do nothing other than take advil it will eventually go back to normal.

The first time this occurred I got a shot of cortisone and it caused it to be permanently deformed. The knuckle is bent and enlarged. I can't remember what the term for it is, but the condition is inoperable. After that I vowed never again to get a shot for any finger joint.

A few years later I had my ring finger involved and had to get my wedding ring cut off. A few months later that finger was back to normal and it hasn't been inflamed since.

My advice is to be weary of cortisone shots until some time passes.

** Originally posted by Tilldee **

Is it called
Bowtie?

** Originally posted by Ranger05 **

There is permanent damage. My finger has become petrified---stuck at a 40 degree crook. Four years ago, it was exactly as you described---so swollen I couldn't make a fist. Looked like a sausage. Even surgery only fixed it for about three months. It went right back (which the surgeon told me it may do).

Please get assistance from a Rheumatologist as soon as possible before PA does permanent damage to your finger.

Last x-rays showed no damage as of yet. But anyways, will a cortisone shot make a difference anyways? I thought that was just a pain relief deal.

bowtie wasn't it

** Originally posted by northern_techie **

You're probably thinking of the boutonniere deformity, which is what I've got going on:
I'm not bending my finger in these pics; it's bent like that on its own.

The tip of the finger kinda bends up, while the proximal joint bends down.

On X-rays, the joint itself appears fine, but then the Xrays can't see all the inflammation and swelling.

Tyler

** Originally posted by mooseygirl **

KYwoman and I seem similar. I have crooked fingers too. The good thing is that the most of the pain goes away after the joints 'die" or as KTYwoman says, get petrified. Now I'm sure they don't actually die, and I stillhave a bit of pain but not nearly as bad as before they froze forever. They may look worse but they sure feel better after they permanently freeze! Ihave a few fingers that I call my hooks and they can take amazing amounts of weight from grocery bags. Actually quite convenient for carry groceries...........I takes my positives where I can get em.....Hope you feel better soon! Check with a Rheum, always! Most trouble? I can't point out things for people anymore,,,,,hahaha. They always look away from where I think i'm pointing...

** Originally posted by Redboy **

Hate to say that no good. I had swollen 5 fingers each and swollen went disappear months later and permant damaged fingers.

I should show my hand fingers., I need photo my hands

That's what my middle finger looks like, only bent even more. After that I'm very reluctant to get any more shots in my fingers.

Hate to say that no good. I had swollen 5 fingers each and swollen went disappear months later and permant damaged fingers.

I should show my hand fingers., I need photo my hands

Mines been this way for a good year and a half now. So I imagine at this point the damage is likely permanent. Surprisingly its not all that painful. Lol, it seems that it makes my left middle finger more naturally reach the D key on my keyboard. So I guess there is that upside.

Tyler

That's what my middle finger looks like, only bent even more. After that I'm very reluctant to get any more shots in my fingers.

Did the shots do anything at all?

I've been considering asking my Doc for a cortisone shot in the joint.

Thanks,
Tyler

It did make the pain go away for a while.

I would like to thank u all for your comments. I felt like I was alone on this one but it seems to be part of PA. I just dnt kno wht to do besides take arthritis medications like Tylenol or aleve without any health insurance so I'm just easing it out as much as I can. I will post pictures of how mine looks to see wht u guys think of it. Idk for u guys that have tha same problem as I do but it is morning rite now for me and OMG!!! My finger is in pain at the most in the morning when I get up. I swear if I can just smash my finger back to it's normal size or sumhow make the pain go away that way I so would

** Originally posted by Emsmom **

Okay, folks, I know that this is no laughing matter but...

My daughter was 2 when arthritis hit. One of the early joints involved was in the left middle finger and when she would try to make a fist that finger would just stay straight up. My boys were 7 and 10 at the time and were just horrified that their baby sister was giving everyone the finger! There was no convincing them, especially the then 7 yr old, that she was not deliberately flipping people off! Thank goodness we can laugh about that now~~ humor is a wonderful survival skill!

For those of you wondering if it can or will ever go away, Emily's left middle finger never returned completely to "normal" but it did get better after she started methotrexate and she regained all use of it.

Liz

** Originally posted by DaveN **

Wondering if sulfasalazine will ever help it. Or if I should be on another medication that will help it?

** Originally posted by coldsteel **

Hi
Middle finger left hand 14 years ago, I didn't have a diagnosis so rheumy injected steroids into the joint. It took 4 injections over a year before it went away. THEN 3 months later middle finger right hand, same scenario again. Then toe next to big toe left foot....3months later toe next to big toe right foot !!! Rhuemy's been chasing disease round my joints like this until I got a new rhuemy and a diagnosis 5 years ago.

Up shot (no pun intended lol) is the steriod injections worked for a while, but the skin around injection sights is now very thin and papery, this is a side effect of steroids, if I knock it it tears. I am 48, I have the skin on my hands and feet like an 90 yrs old.

Steroids in any form are not a long term solution, they are a quick fix.
Jenny, take care x

** Originally posted by DaveN **

ok thanks ill try to avoid shots

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support the National Psoriasis Foundation

Help the National Psoriasis Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the National Psoriasis Foundation

Discussion topics

Additional resources

Community leaders