Mexican Papaya

** Originally posted by DrDoc **

My wife and I were traveling in Mexico and a Mexican Indian noticed the severe pustualar psoriasis on my legs, during a particularly bad flare. At the time I was toward the end of a cycle of Remicade and not using any topicals. I had about four Remicade infusions prior to that, and I believe the last one caused the flare in Mexico. The Indian told me to put the skin of a freshly peeled papaya on my skin while relaxing in a chair. I did two such treatments of about 20 minutes each while in Mexico on a test area of my leg, and saw only minimal improvement at the time in the area of skin I tested. When I returned home (about three days later), I went off Remicade, got onto Enbrel and Clobex lotion. This cleared the flare pretty much. Subsequently, I have had some other flares, not as bad, but NEVER any pustuales on the area treated with the Papaya skin. I am going to apply this technique on my hands when I next have a flare. I don't know what correlates with what here, but it does seem to work. Hint: Use the Mexican Papaya as they are larger and give you more skin to use.

17 replies. Join the discussion

** Originally posted by SuzanneT **

Sound like it's worth a try - I've definitely put a lot worse on the PPPP on my hands and feet than papaya! And............ I'm assuming that you can eat the papaya first? :D

** Originally posted by DrDoc **

Yes, of course you can eat the papaya, but a word of caution. What most people think is Montezuma's Revenge actually comes from eating too much papaya when your system is not used to it. So, enjoy the fruit, but take it easy.

** Originally posted by GitOverIt **

Papaya and mangos are two of my favorite fruits...well pineapple and watermelon........ oh heck! I just like fruits...

one thing we always keep in our kitchen pharmacy is papaya enzymes! get mine at the health stores....they are great for heartburn or acid reflux (forget the purple pill)
we have used Papaya enzymes for over 20 years....I use them if I feel to full after a meal......my husband and son use them for heartburn....from spicy foods.

Dr. Doc........... are you still here?

I found Mexican Papayas in the store today, and bought one. I'm going to try this, but I'm not sure if the papaya should be really, really ripe, or if I should try it now - they're probably grown locally here, since I'm not far from the Mexican border..... but I think it's pretty unripe at this point

Anybody here try this? I'm guessing that I just peel the papaya, and slap in on my foot and just sit around for a while?

:cool: :D

Sue :)

I think you should wait til it's ripe...something about the enzymes in the fruit...which is probably one of the things that is helping......I put avocadoes in a brown paper bag to ripen...wonder if it would work for papaya...

if you want to ripen it faster put an apple in the bag with the papaya...the ethlene hastens the ripening.

Hmmmm.... I just found this............

"Medicinal Properties: The ripe fruit is tasty; astringent to the bowels, aphrodisiac; increases "kapha" and "vata"; removes biliousness; cures insanity (Ayurveda). The ripe fruit is stomachic, appetiser, digestive, carminative, diuretic; cures inflammations, enlargement of spleen; removes urinary concretions; relieves obesity; used in haemoptysis, bleeding piles, wounds of urinary tracts; useful in ringworm, skin diseases, psoriasis (Yunani)."

Source: http://nation.ittefaq.com/artman/exec/view.cgi/56/30985

Sally, I do the same thing with avocados, and did you know that if you put the (unused) half in a baggie WITH the pit, that it will not turn brown? The secret is to leave the pit with that half. I had a Mexican friend tell me that, and it really works. Although, in my last house I had an avocado tree and couldn't get rid of all the avocados! The dogs used to eat what fell off the tree that I didn't pick up or give away in time. :)

** Originally posted by partial **

Maybe a ph thing with the skin? My derm was talking one day about how the skin likes water that is slightly acidic rather than basic.

** Originally posted by Dulane **

I bet you it would be the papaya enzymes too.

I've tried bromelain (from pineapple) and honey as a descaler. It worked. Just a bit messy is all.

Good luck on this, and let us know how it goes!

:)

Suzanne...wish I were your neighbor...our whole family loves avocados
avocado dip
soup
on tacos...I give...have to check google

http://whatscookingamerica.net/AvocadoRecipes.htm
back to papaya.......

** Originally posted by twinieten **

I can't wait to hear how this experiment works! I was thinking it must have something to do with the enzymes. Sally already mentioned it's use as a digestive enzyme. I know that if you put a peice of fruit in a bag with a banana, it will ripen faster. Another thing you can try.

Sally, I wish you were my neighbor, too - the rest of my family doesn't like avocados, even tho I love them :)

Well, I looked at the papaya last night, and debated whether or not it was ripe. It was still pretty hard on the outside, but I cut it open, and it was just perfect! I ate some of it, and tried to figure out how I was going to put it on my foot :confused: , but then I remembered that the seeds needed to be crushed (at least that's what I read somewhere), so I put a bunch of seeds in a bowl and tried to mash then with a fork. Ha! No way :(. So I put a few slices (minus skin) and seeds in the blender. Wow, are those seeds tough :eek: I finally put some water in with it, and ended up with a paste. I put some on my foot with a plastic bag over it, but it really made a gooey mess. The rest is in the fridge, but I think I might just try a slice of papaya tonite instead. I left in on for half an hour, and when I took it off, my foot was soft like a baby, and the redness (I think my foot gets a bit edermic?) was gone! I felt a little stinging for a while, but no big deal (as my daughter said "Hey Mom, what do you expect, you just put meat tenderizer on your foot!" I'm going to try again tonight, and I'll post back here. And for anyone who is interested, I thought it was kinda funny that the regular papayas were $2.99 / lb and the Mexican papayas were $0.69 / lb. (Dr. Doc said that it's best to use the Mexican papayas.)

"Papain is an enzyme extracted from the papaya skin and is primarily used in the meat industry as a tenderizer. The papaya (Carica papaya) fruit is very rich in papain. The greener the fruit the more active is the papain. This protein-digesting (proteolytic) enzyme is very abundant in green, unripe fruits. This unique quality of papaya makes it an excellent natural meat tenderizer"

Source: http://www.2747.com/2747/food/papaya/
Sue :)

Wow! I'm glad it worked! I might just have to try that on my son's hand. I'm thinking he won't be impressed. You could try a coffee grinder to crush the seeds. If you take a bit of bread and grind it, it'll clean up any coffee that's in it (not perfectly, but good enough).

Drea, the only coffee grinder I have is my great grandmother's antique coffee grinder - see below. Hey, I'm not going to stick papaya seeds in here, I'll never get them out!!!! :) any other ideas??? :confused:

Oh my! Wow! :D I guess you could buy a little electric do-dad next time you're at Target if you decide that you really must have one!

** Originally posted by bean07 **

I read an article in our paper under Dr. Peter Gott, that someone wrote in that they tried banana peel, by rubbing the banana peel on the p about a half hour later they cleaned the stuff of p and they state the p was almost completely gone!

Has anyone else tried this one too?

Jill

** Originally posted by daytonaflyer **

Yeah, I tried the banana peel thing. It did absolutely nothing. Figures!

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support the National Psoriasis Foundation

Help the National Psoriasis Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the National Psoriasis Foundation

Discussion topics

Additional resources

Community leaders