Methotrexate and Wine..

** Originally posted by annamarie_777 **

I'm 26 and was recently diagnosed with PA. I have had some problems on and off for years, mainly with my knees. I was recently put on methotrexate and had my dosage increased to four pills and will now probably be put on Enbrel. My doc is pretty unclear about alcohol and i keep getting different takes on it everywhere. Some say NO alcohol others say 2-3 glasses per week. Does anyone have a doctor who allows them to drink while on methotrexate as long as liver enzyme tests are normal or do the majority think it's a bad idea? I would truly appreciate some opinions. I have tried to completely cut out my wine, but i love it, and it has been so difficult!! I am trying to cut out wheat and red meat etc., but wine is just one area that is causing me some big problems!

thanks so much for any opinions on this!!

20 replies. Join the discussion

** Originally posted by RichJ **

hi annamarie,
im sorry that i can't help much but welcome to the p family. you have meet some of the wonderful people on here and will find alot of great info. welcome and nice to meet you.

try and have a good day all

richard

** Originally posted by Alicia39 **

I'm not much of a drinker so I've never asked my Rheumy about this. Sorry, I know this doesn't help, but in past threads there has been discussion on this issue. You can do a search and you'll find a few.
My sister who is a RN nurse was adamant when I first started mtx not to drink because it can affect your liver. As to how much is safe to drink I don't know.
Hope you find some answers :)

** Originally posted by theluckyl **

I always say not to drink while on MTX, but I do. I guess now that I feel almost normal I am not gonna let any part of this disease affect my life. Selfish as it may seem I know that walking down the street can kill me too, and 9 months ago I could barely do that.

** Originally posted by PolarBearKing **

I've been on MTX for about five months now. I too got nervous about drinking alcohol. I spoke to my Dr and he said not to change a thing (3-4 times per week, 2-4 drinks a night). I get blood work done regularly to test my liver. He said if I have any abnormal findings we can address it then.

BTW, that stuff works, I feel great!

** Originally posted by mariaoneill **

I've been on MTX for almost 2 years. My rheumy and I discussed alcohol and he is under the belief that if my bloodwork is ok, I can have a glass or two a couple nights a week. I am very faithful to my blood tests and try not to over do the wine!
With that said, everyone needs to make their own decisions, weighing the pros and cons. Life WITH PsA and WITHOUT wine would not be fun!
Maria

** Originally posted by lisaann **

How severe is your PsA? How much do you normally drink? Is there another medication you could take where you would not have to worry about your wine intake? How faithful are you on tests, follow ups, and blood work?

All personal things. I am not a drinker. Had family members die from it. But when this pain hits, I sware I have considered it... :-) Hide a bottle of harsh Vodka for those hard nights. But resisted...

I think some wine is okay...

I read that some people have even skipped dosages when they know they are going to drink although I am not sure how healthy that is either...

** Originally posted by GlassWidow **

I was just reading the other day an alert from the UK public health folks that talks about alcohol and MTX. I will try to find it a little later, when I have more time. Basically the gist of it, though, was that the rheumatology community says as long as you stay within the National Guidelines (whatever those are), it's fine to drink while on MTX. The dermatology community says no alcohol at all.

** Originally posted by Flycaster **

The issue is they both do your liver no favors, and in combination they can really hammer it. That said, getting regular blood work will give you fast feedback and will tell you if you need to cut down, or abstain completely.

I know you're young and it sucks to be faced with this potential dilemma. Nonetheless, you need to take this seriously. Being diagnosed with PsA at a young age generally means a more severe case is ahead of you. This can be a very tough disease, so I urge you to be willing to make the touch choices, if necessary.

** Originally posted by annamarie_777 **

Thanks so much for all the opinions and advice! You have all given me somethings to think seriously about.. I am still going to try my best not to drink any wine/alcohol.. but I know there will be some bad days at work in the future and I may not be so strong on those days! Maybe by then i will have found some good non alcoholic wine!

** Originally posted by Maria2010 **

Hi. I was in a similar situation as I read mixed reviews here. I asked my rheumy when I was on it for 9 months. He said that as long as I didn't binge it was fine AND that my blood work came back ok. I did have a glass of wine once but found that when I did drink, I couldn't tolerate it as well (couldn't drink much, got very dehyrated) as I did before taking MTX.

** Originally posted by heavenscent **

Hi anna. I have been on methotrexate since June and I was told not to drink at all. That may have been a scare tactict from the dr but to me, it just isn't worth the risk of damaging my liver!!! I think of it this way.... if mtx can keep me from ending up in a wheel chair...what is more important to me....having a few drinks every week...or keep taking the meds??? The obvious choice for me is my health. Also make sure you get your blood work done at least every 4-6 weeks to make sure your liver is functioning as it should be.

~Sherry

** Originally posted by Maria2010 **

Hi Sherry - Quite honestly, when I started taking MTX I became more careful as to what I ate and drank. I didn't see the point of eating or drinking things that were not good for me. Being on MTX was enough for me. I really hope you are doing better. No apology needed btw. You are among friends!

Hi anna. I have been on methotrexate since June and I was told not to drink at all. That may have been a scare tactict from the dr but to me, it just isn't worth the risk of damaging my liver!!! I think of it this way.... if mtx can keep me from ending up in a wheel chair...what is more important to me....having a few drinks every week...or keep taking the meds??? The obvious choice for me is my health. Also make sure you get your blood work done at least every 4-6 weeks to make sure your liver is functioning as it should be.

~Sherry

** Originally posted by dwsmom **

My Dr said I could have a glass of wine on the weekends if I wanted. So, maybe 1 glass a week.

** Originally posted by jenni_c **

I'm in my early 30's and thought that I'd had enough of this disease effecting my lifestyle. The MTX was making me feel better and I wanted to start living my life again. Some of that entails the odd evening of wine with my hubby and friends.

At the beginning i was cautious about it but my blood work has been very good and I worry less about it at this point.

I say as long as you are monitoring your blood and your body and being safe, enjoy yourself!!!

** Originally posted by jmarsh **

My doctor has told me not to drink 72 hours after the MTX dose. I take 15mg on Sunday evening and will abstain entirely until Thursday or Friday. Usually, I will have 3-5 drinks on a Friday after work. My liver tests have generally been good, but my last two showed an elevation of one of the enzymes. I am due for my first liver biopsy next month, so will find out if I am overdoing things with alcohol consumption. Despite the elevated level, the doctor did not instruct me to change anything.

** Originally posted by Ranger05 **

I drank beer regularly and often while on MTX and never had a problem. Not smart I know, but I didn't really care. I wasn't giving up beer. That said, I'd make sure you lay off any booze until after your biopsy results come back jmarsh. I'm sure your already doing that though.

** Originally posted by Flycaster **

...Despite the elevated level, the doctor did not instruct me to change anything.

He wouldn't if he didn't know about it...does he? I'm with Ranger on this one: lay off until you get the biopsy and/or another blood test.

** Originally posted by mcarden **

I'm with Ranger on this one: lay off until you get the biopsy and/or another blood test.

Agreed-- in fact, I would be careful with ANYTHING that is "liver metabolized"- Alcohol (I was told 1-2 drinks per MONTH while on MTX), Tylenol (APAP) and ANY OTHER MEDS that contain acetominaphen (APAP)-- there are a LOT out there- Take as direceted of course, but make sure you are not getting any additional APAP that the docs don't know about.

** Originally posted by realtor910 **

I was told not to drink on MTX. I have been on it going on one year now, and I occasionally cheat and have a glass of wine (1 -2 per month maybe). I have my blood work done every 6 weeks and I it has been completely normal, however you can rest assured that if my blood work was not normal I would never, ever take another drink! It's just not worth it, you can live without the wine, you can't live without your liver.

Please make sure you come clean with your doc about your drinking and don't do it anymore, hope your biopsy turns out o.k. Deanna

P.S. McArden, Flycaster and Ranger05 - Agreed on all you have said.

** Originally posted by mariaoneill **

Hi everyone! I've been on MTX for about 2 years and I have a glass or two of wine a couple nights a week. My rheumy knows this and he also knows that if any of my results come back elevated, I will stop immediately. It is a personal decision and I respect everyone's decisions. Personally, life WITH PsA and WITHOUT wine would be tough!

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support the National Psoriasis Foundation

Help the National Psoriasis Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the National Psoriasis Foundation

Discussion topics

Additional resources

Community leaders