methotrexate and lengthy menstrual cycles

Hello Ladies, I was wondering if any of you have experienced unusual periods??? Mine are usually 3 to 4 days however the last 6 months or so they have been 12 to 18 days!!! I'm so sick of it I could scream. I have had a vaginal ultrasound found nothing...went to a gynecologist and was told they see a lot of this with women who are on methotrexate. But just to be on the safe side they wanted to do a biopsy. Again they found nothing... What a relief to find out its not cancer. So they are 100% sure its the methotrexate. So now I go back in November to find out my options? Just want it to be over with. I was wondering if any of you have had this problem?

7 replies. Join the discussion

Hi,

i am on mtx and still waiting for my period to come. I am now in the 7th week since last time and still waiting.....

I have similiar...sometimes long and often - sometimes missing........rhumy said no way wasnt the drugs...gyno said could be.....Ive given up trying to figure

Has methotrexate helped u with your P?

luvs2trvl: Yes! My periods are mostly light, 10 to 15 days, cycles between only 23 and 28 days. Some of this was already going on before Methotrexate, but periods went over 10 days after starting the drug. In between periods the constipation is terrible. Miralax works great as a softener, but nothing works to move things out, not even ExLax. I realize Methotrexate lowers progesterone levels, but I'd really rather not add natural progesterone to my routine. I was told the doctors would not agree on blaming Methotrexate. Can you relate?

hi. like i said my gynecologist said yes it absolutely has everything to do with the methotrexate and my rheumy agreed. when i find out exactly what my options are i will be sure to let you know.i have an appointment with the gynecologist in a couple of weeks.

Hi Luvs2trvl , I love to travel too!
But anyway, it could me the mtx, or it could be a coincidence. In my early 40's, my periods got weird, once lasting for 4 months strait. I didn't have medical insurance and was forced to do my own research. To make a long story short, I found that using progesterone cream stopped the bleeding within a few days. It would only happen once a year or so, but the cream worked every time.
Since that time, I've found a job with good benefits. I had the NovaSure procedure done and I couldn't be happier! The doctor office procedure only took 5 minutes and was uncomfortable, but I was back to work 2 days later feeling 100%. This was in June 2012. I haven't had a period since!!! Love it!! After Blue Cross insurance it only cost me around $150 for the copayments on office visits etc. I would recommend the procedure to any woman who is sure that she doesn't want more children.

HI FLINTCHICK, I AM A BAY CITY CHICK LOL. YOU WROTE IT STARTED IN YOUR EARLY 40'S, WELL I AM 41 YEARS OLD. I MAY CHECK OUT OUT THAT PROGESTERONE CREAM. THANKS FOR THE INFO.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support the National Psoriasis Foundation

Help the National Psoriasis Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the National Psoriasis Foundation

Discussion topics

Additional resources

Community leaders