Methotrexate and Colds :(

** Originally posted by MsBrightside **

Hello All!!

I've been on mtx now for 5 weeks, I'm over my not able to drink thing, for now!! But now I have a new problem!!
Has anyone on this got ill more often?
I'm very rarely ill, I get a cold a year that lasts about two weeks but not bad enough to stop me doing anything. I've had my dose for this season.
Now I have the sorest throat and ears and I've been off work two days.
Anyone else had experience of this?
I was told it might weaken my immune system but after a month seems a bit quick!!
Coincidence or life from now on??
:D

xx

17 replies. Join the discussion

** Originally posted by Emsmom **

When my daughter first started methotrexate she seemed to get sick more frequently than my other children and it took longer for her to get well. After the first year or so (Bear in mind that she was in preschool so exposed to all kinds of things) things got better and she no longer got any sicker than my others. She's now been on methotrexate for most of the past 13 years (arthritis as well as psoriasis) and she has no problems at all with it, so it can get better.

I hope the methotrexate works for you and also that you feel better soon.

** Originally posted by Ihurt **

MXT is a chemotherapy drug, designed to kill cells. It's kills off good ones as well as bad, it changes cell structure as well.

It is used in arthtiris because of it's ANTI INFLAMMATORY qualities. It also robs the body of vitamins and calcium, and this is why you need to replace what it takes with folic acid or leuvocorin.

IF YOU HAVE A COLD AND ARE IMMUNO COMPROMISED...GO SEE YOUR DOCTOR.

Even a slight cold can turn into a deadly bacterial infection while you are on MXT.

DO NOT hesitate, do not take any infection lightly...QUESTION EVEYTHING when you are taking MXT or any boiologic medication.

PERSONAL EXPERIENCE: last year due to a swollen optical nerve all my doc could give me for severe PA was MXT. I was on a 15mg dose. I take the injections because I do not want to suffer the side effects.

I was on MXT for only six weeks when my son came home with a cold. He started blowing and sneezing on a Sat. As luck would have it I did my shot that Saturday.

BY MONDAY I had left lower lobe Pneumonia and was admitted to the hospital for IV antibiotics and MXT was stopped. I was off MXT healing from the Pneumonia for 3 months. My PA flared!!!!!

A word to the wise.....Call your doctor immediately. I don't want to scare you, but you can never be too careful while on this medication.

I still take MXT and now Humira...but I stay FAR AWAY from anyone ill and I CONSTANTLY WASH MY HANDS!!!!

Thanks for the replies. I've been a bit concerned about being ill, like I said, I'm not really an ill person in the traditional sense, or colds and bigs!
Wow, 13 years is a long time. I thought it'd be a short term thing, like a booster, a course every few months or so. How is your daughters p now?

I haven't got time atm to see my doc, I've had time off work and need to get back to pay the rent!!
I have an appt. with my derm next week so I'll check in with him.
I'm also really thirsty all the time, is this also a side affect?
Sorry to ask so many questions, it's just nice to hear answers from ppl who have gone through it.

xx

** Originally posted by Emsmom **

Hi,

My daughter was put on methotrexate for her arthritis, not her psoriasis. Her arthritis appeared many, many years before the psoriasis. So I truly don't know what the treatment plan is for psoriasis alone.

When the psoriasis appeared she was already on methotrexate and Remicade, so we simply added Protopic to the mix. For her it has worked quite well and she has, thankfully, been able to keep the psoriasis in check. I suspect that already being on the systemic meds has played a part in that.
I hope that you'll have good results from the methotrexate.

Oh~~ and adding to Elaine's post~~ Because Emily is on these meds we have always erred on the side of caution with her. If she exhibits any signs of infection we have her seen sooner rather than later. I don't take her in for the common cold but do watch for signs that the cold is progressing to something else. (Actuallly, at almost 16, she knows what to look for and keeps me informed.) This has worked well for us. Emily has never had an infection that has gotten out of hand.

Liz

** Originally posted by Coldzero0 **

MsBrightside-

I started taking MTX 2 weeks ago and when I started had a soar throat. The soar throat turned into a pretty nasty cold...It was not fun at all. I am feeling much better now but still show signs of the cold...(a random cough, still a little stuffed up) I was told my body might take a little longer to fix itself because of the MTX. I have been taking multi vitamins and drinkin emergency everyday.

-Shawn

I have an appt with my derm next week, I'm going to ask for some vitamins and things then.
I'm still full-up with it. :(
Being ill is rubbish!!

** Originally posted by Ihurt **

I have an appt with my derm next week, I'm going to ask for some vitamins and things then.
I'm still full-up with it. :(
Being ill is rubbish!!

I take Mucinex....works really well. Try that and a saline spray for your nose. Will clean you out. Also, try to find some cough drops with Zinc. Zinc tends to cut the coldin half.

Feelbetter really soon!!!!!

Elaine

** Originally posted by lpagano **

MTX makes you more likely to catch a cold or virus, if you are not taking folic acid, ask the doctor about taking it. I was on MTX for 19 years and got nasty colds. Once I started taking folic acid the problem was much less. When I first started on MTX no one was really advising the use of folic acid, so I spent a couple of years catching everything!

Thanks all so much for the replies and advice. I have some zinc and vit c tablets at home, I'll start taking them tonight.
My derm said to see how I go before starting the folic acid. I feel like giving my next dose a miss though.
I've been reading on it and some sites have advised not taking it while you're ill. And also!!!!!! Terrifyingly, I've read it can make you go grey!!!!
Please tell me it isn't so!!!!
xx

** Originally posted by lpagano **

Go grey hmmmmmmmm. I did not start going grey until I was around 55. I started MTX in my 30's so, I do not think so, and have never heard that before! As for skipping dose, that is a good idea when you are sick, I always skipped if I had a bad cold or virus. Sometimes it will kick the p up a little by skipping, but it usually will back down once you go back on.

I'm sooo glad about the grey! Sounds really vain after years of p but I cling on to my natural roots!!
Thanks!

** Originally posted by MartinEve **

It is used in arthtiris because of it's ANTI INFLAMMATORY qualities. It also robs the body of vitamins and calcium, and this is why you need to replace what it takes with folic acid or leuvocorin.

I just wanted to correct this information. While the end-result of taking MTX is a reduction in inflammation, MTX is not, itself, an anti-inflammatory drug. It is used *because* of its role as an immunosuppressant.

In diseases such as RA and Psoriasis the inflammation comes about as a role of a misdirected immune response. The most common path of treatment s to attempt to dampen this response.

** Originally posted by BreeVanDeKamp **

On MTX I do tend to catch colds more easily but I've always recovered within a week.

** Originally posted by DEBAK **

Ironically I have had fewer colds since on MTX , even with being with my grade school grand kids everyday.
Ms brightside.....you SHOULD be on folic acid from the get go with mtx. not wait and see as your derm said. It helps to way lay some of the potential side effects such as mouth sores but mainly to prevent the type of anemia mtx can cause.

** Originally posted by jagfangirl27 **

I've not really had more colds on MTX but have been very sick this cold season (third infection since December!) for some reason. My GP recommends vitamin C and zinc.

** Originally posted by RichJ **

hi martineve,
welcome to the p family. you have meet some of the wonderful people on here and will find alot of great info. welcome and nice to meet you.

try and have a good day all

richard

I just wanted to correct this information. While the end-result of taking MTX is a reduction in inflammation, MTX is not, itself, an anti-inflammatory drug. It is used *because* of its role as an immunosuppressant.

In diseases such as RA and Psoriasis the inflammation comes about as a role of a misdirected immune response. The most common path of treatment s to attempt to dampen this response.

** Originally posted by Maria2010 **

Thank you for this! This is good info.

MXT is a chemotherapy drug, designed to kill cells. It's kills off good ones as well as bad, it changes cell structure as well.

IF YOU HAVE A COLD AND ARE IMMUNO COMPROMISED...GO SEE YOUR DOCTOR.

Even a slight cold can turn into a deadly bacterial infection while you are on MXT.

DO NOT hesitate, do not take any infection lightly...QUESTION EVEYTHING when you are taking MXT or any boiologic medication.

PERSONAL EXPERIENCE: last year due to a swollen optical nerve all my doc could give me for severe PA was MXT. I was on a 15mg dose. I take the injections because I do not want to suffer the side effects.

I was on MXT for only six weeks when my son came home with a cold. He started blowing and sneezing on a Sat. As luck would have it I did my shot that Saturday.

BY MONDAY I had left lower lobe Pneumonia and was admitted to the hospital for IV antibiotics and MXT was stopped. I was off MXT healing from the Pneumonia for 3 months. My PA flared!!!!!

A word to the wise.....Call your doctor immediately. I don't want to scare you, but you can never be too careful while on this medication.

I still take MXT and now Humira...but I stay FAR AWAY from anyone ill and I CONSTANTLY WASH MY HANDS!!!!

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support the National Psoriasis Foundation

Help the National Psoriasis Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the National Psoriasis Foundation

Discussion topics

Additional resources

Community leaders