methotrexate-allergic reaction after 4 weeks?

** Originally posted by godey1863 **

I was doing so great on the meth, actually felt normal and was starting to do things I have not done in over a year. I was even able to bend back my knee replacement knee really far and walk around on the right knee without the brace at times. had FREEDOM! On thursday am I noticed the psoriasis on my legs had really come back bad, then I took the first dose of meth like usual, my bottom lip started to swell and get numb. I decided to take the 2nd dose that evening thinking, well the pa is really acting up this will kill it. Both of my lips really swelled up and got numb then I started swelling up all over especially in my knees where my pa is mainly, it is as bad or worse then when I first started the meth. I am in so much pain, I can feel my knees just bulging with swelling. Left the dr a message on Friday, have not heard back yet. I am really scared and so frustrated, as I thought the meth was the answer. It seems I have an allergy to everything now.:eek: all NSAIDS, now meth, what is wrong with my body. I am not sure if she can find anything that I can take.

Has anyone had this happen? :(

and PS. I had the same reaction to sulfazine (very bad numb lips and swollen face and eyelids, happened after 1 dose)

10 replies. Join the discussion

** Originally posted by MeganH **

godey - I'd be tempted to at least call the ER if the swelling isn't down. That does not sound right at all - at least you could talk to a nurse and see if there is something you should do. I'd also put another call into the Rheumy. An alergic reaction to anything is never a good thing and can be quite bad.

There are the biologics - have you tried them? If you can't take the other DMARDs - then it sounds like biologics may be worth a try.

** Originally posted by DejaVu **

I wish I had seen this earlier!

Please take Megan's advice!
She has mentioned going to (or even calling the ER), calling the doc's office (answering service/page the doc covering for the weekend). Good options!

Please also make sure others (friends/family) know you are having a reaction.

Please make sure you are safe within this reaction!

the swelling in my lips has gone way done, still sore there though, pain has lessened somewhat, dizziness is still here. I did tell my hubby what happened. I have an EPIpen and left directions for him too, just in case. Still took the celebrex this am, Finally took a darvon last night, was just so bad. I am going to call the dr tomorrow again, and wait until I get a response. She was talking about enbrel, and I thought we would do it when I saw her just a week ago but she wanted to wait, maybe now we will try it. I just find this hard to beleive how I react to meds, now. It is as if the whole body is inflamed or something.

** Originally posted by JesseLou **

You might want to see an allergist-immunologist for a complete work-up before you try anything else.

** Originally posted by MeganH **

I'm glad things are better - I'm also glad you are going to persist in checking into this. I don't think it is too far afield to think that all of us may be prone to weird reactions to meds due to the very nature of the disease. Since you know you have problems, proceeding with extreme caution is advised. Keep us posted on what the Dr. says.

yes, I did a whole workup with an allergist before I went the round of seeing a rheumo. and now I know why I kept getting a "rash", which was the pa. I used to get allergy shots and did quite well with them. Hey, where are you in Alaska? My sister has a place in Homer, called Howling Husky Homestead.

** Originally posted by JesseLou **

I'm in Anchorage, "the big city", all 300,000 of us! I'll look for Howling Husky next time we go to Homer - is your sister a musher?

** Originally posted by loren67 **

I had side effects from MTX 3-4 weeks after starting it. My gums and mouth got inflammed and I had painful sores. I'm actually rechallenging it now because aside from the side effects, it worked well. Hope you will be feeling well soon.

yes she is, she actually lives in Anch for part of the year. she has 14 pups at last count

Hi! Loren,

That's what made it so disappointing for me is that the methotrexate was working so well, I was actually out of pain for a few weeks. So now I start on Enbrel, we shall see. I hope the M keeps working well for you without the other effects, my lips were so swollen I looked like botox gone bad. But the swollen eye lids, I don't think anyone would pay to swell their eyelids, but then again, a new trend could be sent huh? you never know... :p

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support the National Psoriasis Foundation

Help the National Psoriasis Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the National Psoriasis Foundation

Discussion topics

Additional resources

Community leaders