Masking Tape! It Works! Must Try!

** Originally posted by elliott **

Here's the story: Both my thumbs are constanlty cracking and bleeding and crusty. My left thumb got so bad I could barely move it. I decided last week to tape my thumbs with masking tape overnight so they would not move and bleed. I got up and went to work and later in the day I noticed my thumbs were not crusty and dry. Instead they were smooth and very soft. True! So I did it again and after the third application my thumbs are still pink but the skin is a soft or softer than a baby's butt.
Here is my theory why it works and it is striclty theory. There must be some kind of mild acid in the adhesive. I can't find anything on the web that tells me what adhesive consists of chemically. The brand I use is "DUCT". I say that because there are many different manufacturers and there is surley different glue formulas.
I will caution you against putting alot of tape on as I did a couple nights ago and woke up with a "sweet" taste in my mouth. I was reminded of the Seifeld episode where George's fiance licks old envelopes and dies!! I doubt it is that dangerous but like anything proceed slowly.
Please do not think this is a joke. It is not I have had P for 20 years and I am sharing this discovery to try to help others. It is by no means a cure but my thumbs were an embarrassment and now they look pink only and very, very smooth. So please give it a try and if you are like me you will see big results after the first day. How long to leave the tape on, I have no ides. I left it on about ten hours. Good luck and I hope this helps someone.

10 replies. Join the discussion

** Originally posted by deemah **

Hmmm.....You may have something there about the adhesive. I didn't think much of it at the time, but when my fingers were cracking, peeling and painful, I put bandaids on them before going to bed. When I took the bandaids off in the morning, my fingers felt a LOT better. My thought was that the bandaids protected my fingers from the abrasion from possibly scratching while sleeping. Now, you have me wondering if it actually had something to do with the adhesive on the bandaids.

** Originally posted by senfee **

Perhaps this has already come up on this site, but...

Once while visiting France, I saw a dermatologist who gave me Duoderm ("Ultra Mince") patches to put on the angry red psoriasis plaques on my forearms. 3 days later, I removed the Duoderm and the plaques were gone, leaving just the usual post-plaques pink/brown healing skin! I believe that Duoderm is intended as a dressing for burns.

The next time I had a flare, I had my pharmacist in the U.S. order Duoderm patches but he could not find the "ultra mince" ("extra thin"), only the regular, thicker patches. It did not work that time; just pulled off a lot of skin when I removed.

I don't know if the "active ingredient" was the adhesive in the French version.

Maybe this information can help someone.

** Originally posted by AnnieB **

Interesting. If you are using "duct tape" that is actually a different product from masking tape.

<HEY GUYS I AM EDITING THIS POST TO REMOVE MOST OF IT BECAUSE I MISUNDERSTOOD!>

** Originally posted by elliott **

Interesting. If you are using "duct tape" that is actually a different product from masking tape.

More than you want to know about duct tape!

"Duct tape is a cloth tape coated with a polyethylene resin on one side and very sticky rubber-based adhesive on the other.

Adhesive compounding
The rubber-based adhesive used in duct tape is prepared in a multi-step process. In the first step the adhesive is compounded in a mixer known as a Branbury-type mixer consisting of a stainless steel tank equipped with a steam jacket to heat the compound and a high torque mixer. The rubber compounds are introduced in pellet form, then heated and mixed until they are melted and homogenous. Other ingredients are added to the blend tank as specified in the formulation. These include tackifying agents, viscosity modifiers, antioxidants, and other adjuncts. The final mixture is thick but smooth enough to be pumped to a holding tank connected to the coating equipment..." continued at...

http://www.gale-edit.com/products/volumes/duct_tape.htm

NO! NO! I am using masking tape manufactured by DUCT. Regular duct tape would rip all your scaley skin off and cause bleeding I would offer as a person knowledgeable on duct tape. Please do not confuse the two.

** Originally posted by AnnieB **

Sorry! I misunderstood.

** Originally posted by jorel-1 **

As an experiment, try wrapping your thumbs, or other places that have psoriasis, with several other different types of tape, e.g., scotch tape, plastic tape, paper tape, etc.

I'm thinking that it is not so much anything in the adhesive as it is for the fact that you are holding in moisture tight to your skin, not allowing for normal evaporation. The resulting added body moisture and oils that would normally evaporate without the tape is counteracting the excessive dryness from the psoriasis.

Has this been a permanent healing for your thumbs or do you find that you have to periodically wrap them to make them better again ?

** Originally posted by LILLFIREBALL **

I WORKED IN A DURABLE MEDICAL EQUIPMENT COMPANY AND WE SOLD ALL TYPES OF MEDICAL SUPPLIES AND I ALSO TRIED THE EXTRA THIN DUODERM AND IT WORKS GREAT. THE HARD PART IS GETTING IT TO STAY ON ELBOWS AND KNEES. ALSO IT IS QUITE COSTLY. ANY IDEAS? I ALSO HAVE SCALP PSORASIS AND HAVE TRIED THE TAR SHAMPOOS AND IT DOESN'T WORK AND IDEAS OR SUGGESTIONS WOULD BE HELPFUL AND APPRECIATED

** Originally posted by singlebarrel **

This is actually a trait of psoriasis...for some reason it likes to be covered. One of my first derms prescribed me cordran tape, which is a tape with a steroid mixed in with the adhesive. My derm gave me instructions on how to use it and told me even on nights that I didn't use it I should cover it with a piece of tape.

If your psoriasis is too cracked and sensitive it may be wise to use thick vaseline with your hands in gloves for a couple of nights so it doesn't hurt like heck and make it worse when taking the tape off.

** Originally posted by Gin-Ger **

I've heard about Duct Tape improving psoriasis before but never thought of trying it myself.

http://www.topix.com/forum/health/psoriasis/TDUC5OFSBGM1UD1UO

** Originally posted by daytonaflyer **

I think the only thing happening here is the masking tape is occluding the P. Like a previous poster said, it's holding in the moisture that is released by your skin which loosens the P scales. Then they stick to the masking tape and come right off. It really doesn't cure anything, you are just exposing the pink psoriatic skin beneath. The scales will simply return a few days later if you stop occluding them.
The same thing can be done with plastic wrap or any type of tape. I do this quite often, but rub a lot of lotion on before occluding to aid add more moisture. But I suppose it could be something else too, this is just my opinion.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support the National Psoriasis Foundation

Help the National Psoriasis Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the National Psoriasis Foundation

Discussion topics

Additional resources

Community leaders