Little Holes in Skin on Fingers

** Originally posted by C8LINC **

Hi, I've written here once before, but I had a question for you guys!

I have mild/severe psoriasis on the palms of my hands and my fingertips (which went away for 2 weeks after my doc. gave me a cortisone shot only to come back, full force--what a TEASE!). It keeps me up at night itching, makes it hurt to use my hands (I have Rheumatoid Arthritis, too, so this just adds to it) and makes me really self-conscious.

The weird thing is, I can tell when I'm going to get it in certain spots because I get a little patch of holes under my skin. Sounds weird, I know. But they are tiny, pin-sized holes that appear to be filled with liquid (pus, gross, I know) and can grow to be very large. Then the holes turn into little breaks in my skin which then turn into psoriasis.

Has ANYONE experienced this? It freaks me out and I haven't been able to find anything online about it. :(

(The weird holes aside, I use topical meds, AND Enbrel for my RA, and neither seem to help, really! Just hard to keep meds on your hands/fingers)

8 replies. Join the discussion

** Originally posted by JesseLou **

It sounds as though you have pustular psoriasis, and if so, it is almost a sure thing that you have psoriatic arthritis, not RA. There is a much higher association between PA and pustular than with other kinds of psoriasis.

** Originally posted by Yhencw **

Hi. I get the same exact tiny holes filled with clear fluid on my fingers also. I got them last week. What I usually do (and I don't recommend doing the same thing to anyone), wehen they get very itchy -- is I try to prick them with a needle or a pin one at a time to get the fluid out. This helps tremendously with the itchiness. In a day or two, they just dry up and problem solved. I have been doing this for about 4 yrs now. Not exctly sure if it's psoriasis or not, It jsut appears once a month in the winter months. The difference with mine and yours, is that they dont turn into p. Maybe if I let them on their own, and not prick them they might ??? I dont know. Hope you find a relief that works for you :)

** Originally posted by forestal **

I agree with questioning your RA, may be worth confirming diagnosis of psoriasis or if is a fact revisiting with rheumatologist to see if it is RA vs. PA...
pattern of arthritis in PA is different than RA somewhat, and PA may be associated with a positive rheumatoid factor.

cortisone shots or strong doses of steroid creams can also cause a rebound effect and sometimes make a stronger outbreak of psoriasis occur

hope it settles soon :)

** Originally posted by C8LINC **

Oops! No no no. I've had RA since I was four. And Psoriasis since I was 18.

Believe me, I have RA :)

** Originally posted by forestal **

i would still say maybe, not doubting what you are saying but sometimes they can look similar and psoriasis is a lifelong thing, may not have shown at first

also possible/more likely to have more than one auto-immune issue, can be common

good news is treatment for PA and RA is very similar :)

** Originally posted by mamaooch **

Hi, I've written here once before, but I had a question for you guys!

I have mild/severe psoriasis on the palms of my hands and my fingertips (which went away for 2 weeks after my doc. gave me a cortisone shot only to come back, full force--what a TEASE!). It keeps me up at night itching, makes it hurt to use my hands (I have Rheumatoid Arthritis, too, so this just adds to it) and makes me really self-conscious.

The weird thing is, I can tell when I'm going to get it in certain spots because I get a little patch of holes under my skin. Sounds weird, I know. But they are tiny, pin-sized holes that appear to be filled with liquid (pus, gross, I know) and can grow to be very large. Then the holes turn into little breaks in my skin which then turn into psoriasis.

Has ANYONE experienced this? It freaks me out and I haven't been able to find anything online about it. :(

(The weird holes aside, I use topical meds, AND Enbrel for my RA, and neither seem to help, really! Just hard to keep meds on your hands/fingers)

Your spots sound like pustular psorasis. I have those on the palms of my hands and the bottom of my feet, it is called pppp(palmar-plantar pustular psoriasis). I also have severe PA, I am on Remicade and it seems to be helping the pppp, more than the PA.

Hope this helps
Cindy

** Originally posted by grannyfranny **

I have PPPP but not PA. All the p meds made me worse. An antibiotic has helped me the most.

** Originally posted by RichJ **

hi
i get little blisters in the bottom of my feet that break and make a hole. they can hurt alot and just leak. some times i have some with pus or just a clear lickwed in them. im not getting alot latly but it can just be one. i was dx with pustular psoriasis back in the late 90's. i hope you find out whats wrong with your skin. i wish you the best

try and have a good weekend all

richard

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support the National Psoriasis Foundation

Help the National Psoriasis Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the National Psoriasis Foundation

Discussion topics

Additional resources

Community leaders