L-Arginine and Scalp Psoriasis

Hi there,

I am a male in my mid 30s and have had scalp psoriasis since I was a kid. It varies in severity and sometimes will go away for months. I have even had it disappear for more than a year at a time. The last couple of years it has been consistently there, but not bad. In the Spring it returned full force, the worst it has been in 10 years. I would be fine throughout the day after washing my hair, but by late evening and certainly the next morning I would develop an extraordinary amount of plaques. The psoriasis also started migrating to areas of my scalp it typically did not inhabit.

I live in the Midwest and a month ago I spent a few days in Las Vegas. At the exact same time I added 1 teaspoon of L-Arginine powder to about 4 ounces of regular head and shoulders shampoo. I have been using head and shoulders shampoo for years. I added the arginine as an experiment to see if it would have any effect on my age related hair thinning. I have had very little scalp psoriasis since I started this. Maybe 10 plaques total in one month, less than the amount I was getting in one day. Most mornings this month I have woken up to a completely clear scalp. And not once have I felt like I need to wash my hair before going out in public.

This could be complete coincidence as psoriasis is something that comes and goes from my life with no apparent reason. The remission could have been triggered by my travel to a dry climate. Or it could have been triggered by the weather change going on in the Midwest. I will note though that I spent some time in a dry climate over the summer and it made my condition worse. It has also only been a month, which is a very short time to judge the impact of a supplement.

So there are the caveats. But I wanted to share something that seems to be working for me. There is an area of my scalp that had a plaque everyday for at least a year and it hasn’t had one in over 20 days.

For full disclosure I use OTC Nizoral every other day (sometimes less) and regular head and shoulders with NOW brand L-Arginine powder added to it (1 heaping teaspoon of powder to 4 oz. shampoo) on the other days. When I wash my hair I gently massage it into my scalp and let it sit for a couple minutes. And then rinse it out well. The only thing that has changed in my long-term routine recently is the addition of L-Arginine powder to my shampoo. Whether or not that is the variable that caused my scalp psoriasis to go away is unknown, but it probably wouldn’t hurt to try if you are looking for a new approach.

Sorry this is so long, I wanted to be thorough as possible. I plan on experimenting with the amount of arginine and also plan on adding L-Citrulline to the mix.

Cheers.

4 replies. Join the discussion

Just in case, Sterling, this is also good for scalp:

I have used all the creams/ointments, even the $500 Taclonex (which worked for a month, then nothing)!
I have Plaque Psoriasis.

Try this: U do not need a scrip. It's safe, CHEAP and it WORKED for me.
You have nothing to lose!!
Just be patient:

Glycerin mixed 50/50 w/ witch hazel (ALCOHOL FREE version may be better).
The regular W.H. w/ alcohol stings some Ps sufferers. You may have to order it on-line.
It is so easy to apply the mixture from in a spray bottle. It gets rid of 80- 90% of
redness and scales.
On my very bad lesions I RUB it in VIGOUROUSLY w/ finger tip and the next day it already looks a little better; LESS RED and less scaly!
It is great for the skin and SCALP.

For SCALP:
1) First wash hair/scalp w/ “T +Plus Therapeutic Shampoo”
(includes Coal Tar and can only be purchased at Target…VERY CHEAP!)
2) Then apply the Glycerin mix to scalp w/ finger tips and massage in.

Witch hazel is very soothing
Don't apply glycerin concentrated because it is too gooey, then you have to wipe it off.
Apply this mixture daily and skin stays moist for most of the day.
Then you reapply.
It takes about THREE weeks to be noticeably effective.
This mixture is miraculous for me. You can have the mngr of CVS or Walmart order Glycerin to the store so you will not have to pay for shipping. My local stores did not have it here in Miami.
Buy Glycerin: $3 in Walmart, $5 in CVS

Where did you get the idea to add L-Arginine? I just googled the stuff and here's what About.Com says. It looks like all the uses they talk about are by ingesting it, not using it topically.
----------------
L-arginine is an amino acid commonly sold in supplement form and obtained naturally in the diet. L-arginine-rich foods include plant and animal proteins, such as dairy products, meat, poultry, fish, and nuts.

Necessary for the production of protein, L-arginine also helps rid the body of ammonia (a waste product) and stimulates the release of insulin. In addition, L-arginine is used to make nitric oxide (a compound that relaxes the blood vessels). Although some studies suggest that L-arginine may benefit certain health conditions, other research shows that L-arginine may have harmful effects on some individuals.

Uses for L-Arginine

Proponents claim that L-arginine can benefit:

colds
congestive heart failure
dementia
erectile dysfunction
high blood pressure
intermittent claudication
interstitial cystitis
male infertility
migraines
preeclampsia
sexual dysfunction in women
Some people also use L-arginine to boost the immune system, improve athletic performance, and shorten recovery time after surgery. L-arginine is also used for bodybuilding.
--------------------
It's great that Head and Shoulders and Nizoral work for you. I tried the technique of letting it sit on my scalp for a while during my shower, but unfortunately, it left my scalp super-flakey and itchy.

Thanks for sharing and please keep posting what works for you!

u forgot l-arginine stimulates your hgh (human growth hormone) which is the hormone responsible for your body repairing itself it naturaly secretes from you pituatary gland while you sleep. hgh is responsible for growing staying young regeneration of your body and repairs of the body.

Thanks for the replies. Julia I will keep your ideas in mind if/when the L-Arginine stops working, thanks for sharing that great information. Vickie, I got the idea to try topical Arginine because I was ingesting it. I have experimented with many supplements throughout my life and this has by far had the most powerful impact on sports performance and recovery. I thought it would be worth a try and like I said the intention was for thickening my hair, not psoriasis. So I doubt it is a placebo effect. But as I also stated in my post it could be completely unrelated and the P on my scalp may have gone into remission by complete coincidence. So I am not making any claims but wanted to share an experiment that appears to be working for me. And in all honesty I think Nizoral makes my scalp more flaky. But again I am an adult male who is trying to keep his hair, and Nizoral is shown to help with that.

Cheers

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support the National Psoriasis Foundation

Help the National Psoriasis Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the National Psoriasis Foundation

Discussion topics

Additional resources

Community leaders