Jaw Pain

** Originally posted by lcornwell **

Has anyone had problems with Jaw pain? I have never had any kind of jaw pain. Starting today my right jaw hurts really bad. It is painful to touch and really painful to open my mouth. Could this have somtehing to do with PsA?

7 replies. Join the discussion

** Originally posted by Tilldee **

Has anyone had problems with Jaw pain? I have never had any kind of jaw pain. Starting today my right jaw hurts really bad. It is painful to touch and really painful to open my mouth. Could this have somtehing to do with PsA?

I have seen many posts regarding jaw pain and PsA. I had jaw pain but it came and went with no swelling, just a burning pain. My MD thougth it was typical of a heart condition and started doing stress tests. But when I was diagnosed with PsA, I found it was from that.

Since being on Enbrel I have had no jaw pain to speak of, only occasionally.

** Originally posted by jad030 **

I have been having intermittent jaw pain for several months. The Humira has helped but still need the vicodin on occasion to get it under control I talk a lot for work and that definitely aggravates it.

You are not alone

** Originally posted by nyoki **

I've had jaw pain on and off for 25+ years. It seems to come and go in cycles. At one point I kept going to my PCP because I thought I had an ear infection, but it was TMJ. I couldn't eat, sleep or really talk. I would get swelling below the jaw line that hurt to the touch. At this point I don't really know if it's really TMJ or PsA in the jaw, or if PsA caused TMJ. I haven't had any jaw pain in a couple of years. I don't know if it's due to remicade, prednisone or it just hasn't flared for a long time. This disease sometimes...it crazy.

** Originally posted by HopesAndDreams01 **

when my jaw locked up, I couldn't hardly eat, so that was a nice impromptu diet! I had never had any kind of jaw problems before, it just hit me all at once for no reason. I couldn't close my mouth all the way to eat for about 3 days. And just like nyoki, it hurt on the outside of my face from the bottom of the jaw up to my ear. Even now when I eat, I can hear a "static" noise in my ear on that side. Sooooo strange!

Hope you aren't in too much pain...take care!

** Originally posted by JustDucky **

I dont have PsA, but I have had tmj for 20 years, on and off.

Be very careful what you eat. When it hurts or is locked up like that, keep away from chewy things like steak and crunchy foods like celery or nuts. Pickles arent so hot, either. I was in pain for a week over a pickle.

Stick to soft foods..dont chew gum, dont use straws, dont cradle the phone on your shoulder. I try to be careful about those things even when my jaw isnt acting up.

** Originally posted by catnap **

I didn't think to put the jaw pain together with PsA. Last year, before the PsA diagnosis, I had two bouts of severe jaw/face pain, both following a procedure (surgery & dental work)that kept my jaw wide open for awhile. Neurologist did brain MRI (ruling out other causes)& said it was trigeminal neuralgia...pain radiates from my jaw down my neck, up to my ear, sinus, eye, forehead.
Thanks for the wonderful advice just ducky. I'm also careful with dental work, my dentist now does short procedures/steps if possible & allows time during for me to close my mouth.

** Originally posted by Lope43 **

Hubby had severe jaw pain and even visible swelling. That was the last joint that decided Humira for him! He could hardly open his mouth some days. It has susided from there for now.
Good advice to avoid the chewy & crunchy items .

Good luck to you.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support the National Psoriasis Foundation

Help the National Psoriasis Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the National Psoriasis Foundation

Discussion topics

Additional resources

Community leaders