Is Ginger good for the psoriasis?

I had lunch today with a good friend and I ate ginger and it was wonderful! It was with some Chinese food and soy sauce but I really liked it. Does anyone have any information about ginger and psoriasis? Thank you for all of your help.

4 replies. Join the discussion

Historically, ginger has a long tradition of being very effective in alleviating symptoms of gastrointestinal distress. In herbal medicine, ginger is regarded as an excellent carminative (a substance which promotes the elimination of intestinal gas) and intestinal spasmolytic (a substance which relaxes and soothes the intestinal tract). Modern scientific research has revealed that ginger possesses numerous therapeutic properties including antioxidant effects, an ability to inhibit the formation of inflammatory compounds, and direct anti-inflammatory effects.
Copy and pasted from..http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=72 There is more in depth info about the anti inflammatory traits there as well.

It is supposed to have anti-inflammatory properties. I like it in stir fries and juices. It is related to turmeric which is also anti-inflammatory but not so keen on eating turmeric in quantity when you can get curcumin in tablet. I would be blending ginger into juice and adding it to stir fries even if it didn't have any likely health properties. No guaranteed benefit for psoriasis like anything dietary but probably worth adding to the cocktail along with fruit, veg, supplements etc. if you want to go down that path.

I think ginger is the best natural alternative to prescription based stomach meds like Prilosec.

helps digest food and get it down really well.

Ginger is claimed to have anti-nausea properties as well so might be handy with any psoriasis meds that cause that. My wife ate some sort of processed ginger things when she had morning sickness. Don't know it it worked better than placebo or not but she seemed to think it worked. I eat ginger because I like it. I don't think by itself it will do anything for my psoriasis. Like most food you would probably have to eat a mountain to get any serious effect and it would probably do more harm than good if you did. But as part of an overall healthy diet perhaps it helps. Everything in moderation. Great in in fried rice and stir fries. Carrot ginger and apple juice is delicious as well.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support the National Psoriasis Foundation

Help the National Psoriasis Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the National Psoriasis Foundation

Discussion topics

Additional resources

Community leaders