Is apple cider vinegar good or bad for psoriasis

Is apple cider vinegar good or bad for psoriasis

22 replies. Join the discussion

Apple cider vinegar is excellent for the skin and I use it every day in my bath and also wash my face with it (non diluted ). It helps control itching and exfoliates dead skin and restores your skin's vital pH balance. One or two cups in your bath water will do. It is also excellent for sun burns too and will take the redness out quickly.

Do you know if apple cider vinegar helps with scalp psoriasis, too? Have heard of it before but never tried it. Would I pour it on as a sort of conditioner and let it sit a few minutes before rinsing, or just leave it in and let it dry? My psoriasis has mostly disappeared from my body areas and is now throughout my scalp, driving me crazy with it's itching and flaking.

Annie
Maybe this will help?:I have used all the creams/ointments, even the $500 Taclonex (which worked for a month, then nothing)!
I have Plaque Psoriasis.

Try this: U do not need a scrip. It's safe, CHEAP and it WORKED for me.
You have nothing to lose!!
Just be patient:

Glycerin mixed 50/50 w/ witch hazel (ALCOHOL FREE version may be better). Witch hazel is very soothing. The regular W.H. w/ alcohol stings some Ps sufferers. I use the one w/ alcohol.
You may have to order the alcohol free version on line.
It is so easy to apply the mixture from a spray bottle. It got rid of 80- 90% of my redness and scales.

On my very bad lesions I RUB it in VIGOUROUSLY w/ finger tip and the next day it already looks a little better; LESS RED and less scaly!
It is great for the skin and SCALP.

For SCALP:
1) First wash hair/scalp w/ “T +Plus Therapeutic Shampoo”
(includes Coal Tar and can only be purchased at Target…VERY CHEAP!)
Don’t wash hair too often; it DRIES scalp.
2) Then apply the Glycerin mix to scalp w/ finger tips and massage in. Try to do this once a day or
more if U R at home

Don't apply glycerin concentrated because it is too gooey, then you have to wipe it off.
Apply this mixture daily (twice per day): skin stays moist for most of the day.
RUB it in so it's not too thick and gets ABSORBED. It absorbs into skin quickly.
It takes about THREE weeks to be noticeably effective.
This mixture is miraculous for me. You can have the mngr of CVS or Walmart order Glycerin to the store so you will not have to pay for shipping. My local stores did not have it here in Miami.
Buy Glycerin: $3 in Walmart, $5 in CVS:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Humco-Skin-Protectant-Glycerin-Usp-6-oz/10417582

http://www.cvs.com/CVSApp/catalog/shop_product_detail.jsp?skuId=483707&prod uctId=483707&WT.mc_id=Shopping_Feed_Products_Google_Free_Listing

I don't know about putting apple cider vinegar directly on your skin. The Glycerin mixed 50/50 w/ witch hazel it is controlling the itchiness for me.

Taking apple cider vinegar orally acts as a metabiotic (end products of probiotic bacteria) and might help your immune system by increasing the good bacteria in your intestines.... I am still reading/learning about this.

I have a mug full off Apple cider Vinegar in the morning with honey. Its great if you have PSa and I couldn't agree more with the advocates its good for the skin. so get off all these drugs and start using natural remedies for P and PSa.
Apologies for banging on about this and diet lately but it works!! Read the book Curing Arthritis the Natural Way by Margaret Hills its an eye opener.

Courage mes enfants

Hi!
First post. I've had p for about 25 years and tried most everything except biologics.

I control as best I can with a couple of different things, here's my oddball stuff.

Magic Juice www.magicjuice.com- this is an apple cider vinegar with extras [cayenne, horseradish, ginger] , a small capful a day straight or in tomato juice is helpful for a lot of things.

Farnam Saddle Soap- It's glycerine and seems to keep the itching down and smooths the skin, like said before pure glycerin is to gooey. Applied once or twice a day.

Grandma's Gardners Hand Soap- This has olive oil and grits in it, I use it for scrubbing the plaque, I know you should avoid scrubbing, but sometimes you just got too!

My little contribution to an excellent board, thanks for all the great information and support.

JR
Cape May, NJ

hello there any ideas about the best brand of cider vinagar or are they all much the same in quality and price ect.

Ooops, www.magicjuice.org

I use Bragg's organic vinegar with the Mother, raw and unfiltered, unpasteurized. It can be found in health stores and some grocery outlets. www.bragg.com (no affiliation)
I would not suggest putting apple cidar vinegar directly on the skin or scalp. Put a couple of cupfulls in your bath water or dilute 50/50 for your shower. It is excellent for your scalp and hair.
I agree with Bruce that it is excellent for your intestinal tract.

Hi MDeb50
If taking this orally how much a day do you do. Tablespoons or more a day? I will find bragg. Thanks Reggie

JULIAinFLA, thanks for the details about the glycerin and witch hazel mix, and the links. I've used witch hazel straight to cut the itching but it does nothing to clear it up. Just checked our bottle and it does have 14% alcohol so I'll have to find some that doesn't. I've cut back to washing my hair only 2 times a week (and cut it shorter than I've ever had it in my life for ease of applying various products) but use DHS brand Sal Shampoo which has salicylic acid in it as the coal tar shampoo burned. The dermatologist told me to apply it to the plaques with my hair dry and let it sit for a few minutes, then lather and let it sit a few minutes, and then rinse.

I've also been using a product called Infinite Aloe Skin Care, a cream with aloe being the primary ingredient. It's what I credit with getting rid of the plaques on my legs, arms, back, etc. by applying it to each spot and rubbing it in for about 15 seconds (on each spot) twice a day. It took some time but I now only have about half a dozen spots that pot up here and there and they usually disappear within a few weeks if I'm diligent about applying it.

Several months ago I started putting the aloe cream on my scalp plaques in the evenings, working through my head rubbing it in each spot throughly and then doing a second application. It has kept the psoriasis from itching and flaking so much and it's seems like it's no longer spreading, but it isn't going away. Remarkably it doesn't make my hair look greasy like the Rx's I've used.

I think I'm going to bite the bullet and use the aloe twice a day, while I look for the glycerin and alcohol free witch hazel, and see what happens. Then unless it disappears like it did on my body I'll start the glycerin mix.

The apple cider vinegar also sounds promising, by itself or the Magic Juice, but, I like to change only one variable at a time so I know what's causing improvement, if there is any.

One of the last times I was at the dermatologist he mentioned that I may need to take oral medication but I'm determined to stay away from that, so all these new natural treatment options sound great. His mentioning oral meds is what got me researching more and led me to this forum. I've also found a new dermatologist that specializes in psoriasis, and amazingly doesn't even do cosmetic dermatology which is usually their 'bread and butter'. I see him in two weeks so perhaps I'll have some progress by then. I also have inverse psoriasis, my nails are affected, and I have misc. groups of bumps that I was told are also psoriasis, so he's got plenty to work on.

Annie
I use Witch Hazel w/ alcohol and it is very soothin.g
BUT YOU MUST MIX IT 50/50 w/ Glycerin.
It is the COMBO that works so well. One w/ out the other does NOT work for me. Try it.

I will. Thanks!

To Tony4d who wrote:
"so get off all these drugs and start using natural remedies for P and PSa.
"

Some people don't have the option to try the 'natural' way. Their disease is so severe that they need medical attention and direction.

Glad to hear that you can opt for natural treatments. But don't make blanket statements for others.

draftgirl is right: I think what tony4d wrote is overly enthusiastic. It is often EXTREMELY hard to wean oneself off of biologic/systemic medications. It is not uncommon for one's psoriasis (or PsA) to flare badly during such times. I doubt eating healthily and/or taking supplements can compensate fully, at least initially, to such spikes in inflammation. And so if, for example, folks suddenly stopped taking cyclosporine they would be in a world of hurt.

Based on my experience and from what I've read of most others on online forums, the best chance of success with natural treatments comes after one is off of conventional meds for some time (say, a couple of months). These folks typically stop taking these meds for good reasons (don't work for them, or they can't deal with side effects) and then decide to pursue natural treatments after considerable deliberation.

Lastly, natural treatments seemingly don't work for everyone ... same goes for conventional treatments. But since the benefits of natural treatments are many and the drawbacks are few I hope that more people give them a serious try.

_Lazza

Correct draftgirl. I am all for natural remedies if they work for you. Who can quarrel with that? But no blanket statements can be made with regard to these remedies. I have tried homeopathy, ayurveda, accupuncture, reiki, dieting, Pagano, etc., etc., etc. (like Yul Byner said in the King and I), but the result was a big fat zip! I have 90-95% psoriasis coverage, 60-70 joint involvement and severe. It's a stretch that cucumber juice, ginger drink, tumeric, or some such natural supplement, is going to turn me into a He-Man. But for those lucky enough to experience remission, better still a cure, from alternative treatments, God speed and stay well.

I try to drink a capful of Braggs every day.. I also started using it as spot treatment for acne, since for some silly reason I started getting it in my 30s.. it works wonders! I haven't tried it directly on my skin for P, but maybe I'll try the bath recipe.

@rattlesnake
About your acne... do you use topical steroids on your scalp? One side effect that I got from topical steroids was acne on my face. The acne went away when I stopped using it.

I don't, only coconut oil on my head. The acne has improved since cutting sugar and fast food, but still not something I want at my age. What am I 17 again? LOL

how do you use braggs? do you take it orally? thanks!!!!

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support the National Psoriasis Foundation

Help the National Psoriasis Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the National Psoriasis Foundation

Discussion topics

Additional resources

Community leaders