internal psoriasis

** Originally posted by jeanell **

Has anyone heard of internal psoriasis. I have a dear friend who believes she might have internal psoriasis in her chest and isn't getting anywhere with her doctors. They believe the pain is psychological, predisone is the only thing that will help her pain but, the long term side effects are highly dangerous. I didn't know if anyone has heard about this and if so how was it helped? Thank you so much!

5 replies. Join the discussion

** Originally posted by RichJ **

hi jeanell,
im sorry that i can't help much but welcome to the p family. you will meet some of the wonderful people on here and will find alot of great info. welcome and nice to meet you. maybe some one will come through and help with your ?

try and have a good week end all

richard

thanks and it will be great to see if anyone else has had this happen. Also, to see how they were able to get the doctors to listen.

** Originally posted by psoriasisgenes **

Psoriasis is more than skin deep (in my view. ....and it is also the name of the NPF education event touring the country for the second year). P is a systemic auto-immune disease with predominant symptoms in the skin (and also arthritic symptoms in the joints in PA) and perhaps symptoms in others tissues in different manifestations of this auto-immune complex. so, it does not seem inconceivable that some people might have other auto-immune inflammatory symptoms (but this is complete conjecture on my part, I am no physician).

** Originally posted by partial **

What sort of syptoms is your friend having? What kind of pain, how does it feel, etc?

I have had muscle and ligament pain in plaque p areas from (in my opinion, self diagnosis, watching it as it responds to treatments) from inflexible skin.

I don't think that p, by definition, is internal as it relates to tissue. However it is in inflammitory disease that does attack joints.

Auto-immune diseases seem to be very odd and unpredictable. I have good friend who has huge calcium deposits in his feet that are extremely painful. The doctors have ruled out all forms of arthritis and are "guessing" it is some sort of auto-immune disorder.

I have another friend who has had recurrent brain "tumors" that are not tumors and come and go. Again, the diagnosis was an unspecified auto-immune disorder. He has responded well to MTX and went from being non-functional when they decided to grow, to being back to work.

In my experience, psychosomatic stuff can also accompany psoriasis. Stress and anxiety, which can be excaberated by dealing with a chronic condition like psoriasis, can cause chest pain/odd sensations.

For me, when the psoriasis has been bad it meant that the itch/burning/tightness/whatever were constants. With stress or other psychomatic things it would be transitory.

If you friend is up for it, maybe she could post a more detailed account of what she is dealing with.

Good luck to her, hopefully it is something minor that will be easy to deal with.

Thanks for the information.

I am not sure about the specifics of what her symptoms are but, good idea when she is feeling better I will tell her about this site. I just stumbled on this site and was trying to be a detective for her. Possibly to find out something for her. What I do know there is a stingy pain in her chest (along with other stuff) but, its constant.

She has been going to a Rheumatologist and, they have been absolutely looking at some auto-immune situation going on but, they cannot put their finger on it. My friend thinks it is internal psoriasis. She said it feels like it but, I am not sure what she means by the feel part. I will have to find out more of the specifics. I figured here people have been possibly dealing with psoriasis and possibly someone has something like what she has. Its not going to be easy to find. Thanks again for all the information!

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support the National Psoriasis Foundation

Help the National Psoriasis Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the National Psoriasis Foundation

Discussion topics

Additional resources

Community leaders