Inderal triggering PS

** Originally posted by rbout **

I just found this site today and have been reading it from top to bottom. I came across something interesting on the triggers list.

I take the medication Inderal or it generic form Propanolol for tremors, it is mainly prescribed for high blood pressure. It is listed as a trigger for PS. Now that I think about it my PS has dramatically worsened since I started taking this. Has anyone else experienced this?

13 replies. Join the discussion

** Originally posted by Kimbercat **

No, but I just started taking Propanolol, so now I'm worried! I'll keep you posted. Thanks for the warning.

Kim

** Originally posted by MBowden **

Don't freak out too fast! I'm on atenolol (a beta blocker) for my blood pressure and it's known to cause flare ups in psoriasis. I haven't gotten any worse recently, have been taking the med for 3 months now. My psoriasis is actually starting to do a little better! So give meds a chance, as we all have heard a million times, everything affects each of us differently!

** Originally posted by lapradef **

I developed PS several years before I was put on Inderal for hypertension, so I don't consider it a trigger. When I read that Inderal might worsen the condition, however, I had myself switched to an ACE inhibitor. Several years ago, atenolol was added. Whatever effect these meds had on me was not noticeable, but maybe I wasn't paying attention. In any event, I'm not one of those who has either "flares" or remissions. Just same-old, same-old, month after month, with a gradual worsening over the many years. I know this is of no help whatsoever, but it's my experience.

GL

//////

** Originally posted by cereal **

Hi I just popped into check out the boards and this subject caught my eye. I Have had P now for 7 years, I'm 45. I had never had one spot of P until 7 years ago. Out of the blue one day, I had what they thought was a panic attack, our family doctor that we had been wth for years, told us he was leaving our insurance plan and we needed to find a new doctor and pretty quickly since I had had this so called attack. I found one, went in for the first visit he reviewed the file from the ER, and without doing any tests told me it was a panic attack and that I had high B/p. He put me on INDERAL, within a month I had a spot on my right elbow, I questioned the doctor about it on my second visit, it was "dry skin", He gave me a 6 month prescription for the inderal and told me to come back in 6 months. I was so sick, from taking the inderal, I was eating gaviscon by the bottles, I refused to go back to that doctor cause I had told him there was something wrong, I didn't know what but I felt that he should be doing some tests. I started looking for a new doctor who was taking new patients it took me about 6 months to find one. In the mean time I ended up in the ER 3 more times, again with the same symptoms. By this time the "dry skin had spread to both elbows and a spot on my leg". The new doctor was and to this day awesome, he spent over an hour doing an exam and asked so many questions. He told me that he was 99% sure that I had a prolasped Mitral Valve and the attacks I was having were atrial fib, it's hard to explain but when the mitral valve acts up it can cause atrial fib. These attacks are almost the same as a panic attack. The new doc told me the "dry skin was psoriasis" I went through a lot of cardiac tests and he was right, I did have MVP and atrial fib. He took me off the Inderl, put me on tenormin, which is another beta blocker. I started researching psoriasis, didn't have a clue what it was or what I was in for. In almost every article under triggers Inderal was listed. The doc was prescribing creams sent me to a derm, but it just kept spreading. I kept asking about the connection between the beta blocker and P. No the doc had not ever heard that. So I went prepared my next visit, I wore shorts and a tank top, I took every article I had where it mentioned Inderal, and beta blockers, and their connection with P, I literally covered the entire floor of the exam room with the articles. The doc came in first looked at me and said OMG, then he started picking up each article and reading them. He sat there and read a lot of the articles, he scanned some, and then said can I have these. Sure. He apoligized for not listening to me earlier. He said if he had taken me off the beta blockers when I first asked maybe the P wouldn't have gotten so bad. He switched me over to a calcium channel blocker, I think thats what it was called. I didn't respond well to it, so I went back on the tenormin. I had found a new derm in the meantime, who took one look at me and said if it was 10 years ago he would have admitted me to the hospital that day. But the insurance companies won't pay for in hospital treatment unless your like dying from the P. I asked him about the connection between the Inderal and the P, his therory was that I carry the gene for the psoriasis and the Inderal woke the gene up, and it was too late when they put me on the tenormin, the damage had already been done. In the past 7 years I have only been in complete remission one time for 2 months. Currently I am covered, 2 weeks ago for the first time I broke out on the palms of my hands and the soles of my feet. I can't write, I can still type. Our health insurance is now a PPO cause my husband is disabled, and a huge 3000.00 deductable, I don't know where to go from here. I have read all the treatments that are available, I have researched and am constantly learning about P. I gave up with the derm doctors, They don't want me to do lite therapy cause I got burned really bad twice, the one time I was only in the booth 90 seconds, none of the topical creams ever helped. I have to make a decision as to if I should take one of the really strong drugs. I admit I'm afraid of the strong drugs like meth, and the others, but now I'm wondering if I have a choice. Sorry this was soooooooooo long, just had to vent and to let people know that before taking Inderal research your family and make sure no one has had any skin problems in the past. I had to go back 3 generations and find distant relatives to comfirm that my great grandmother had something wrong with her skin, they never knew what it was but it was all dry and flakey and itchy. Sounds like psoriasis to me. I just pray I didn't pass the gene on to my daughter, she is only 23 and she also has the MVP. I have a huge note written on her chart at the dr's office...NO INDERAL EVER! Thanks for letting me vent... if I learned nothing else from this experiance, it is to check out every drug that is prescribe for me. and I also question the pharmasist... Hang in there everyone. thanks Pat

Pat,
If you don't mind me asking, what were the symptoms of your "panic" attacks? I had the same problem a couple of years ago, diagnosed as panic attacks, and to this day I still get funny little "flutters" in my chest! It really scares me sometime. They never last very long but still, ya know?!? There's no pain, just a funny feeling like a flutter or something, it's hard to describe. My doctor thinks I'm just a little over concerned about things since my sister was diagnosed with cancer 3 years ago, she passed away 9 months ago! Anyway I was just curious. Thanks.

** Originally posted by cereal **

HI, I'm so sorry it has taken me weeks to answer your questions. I have a hard time spending time on the net with taking care of hubby, trying to sell our house, and dealing with just life in general... Panic attack, Blood Pressure shoots shy high, like 280/140.....I lose all color, my lips actually go white, heart races, pulse is so fast you can't even count the beats. This is going to sound wierd cause unless you've died you don't know what it feels like to die...but that's the feeling I get like I'm going to die.. The first feeling I get is like I'm looseing control, then like I'm going to pass out. I carry xanax with me everywhere. By going through stress management therapy, (that's a joke) especially with my life... I learned breathing techniques, and as soon as I feel an attack coming on I pop a xanax. and take deep breaths and talk myself into calming down..sometimes it works. After wards I crash, I go to bed and may sleep 12 hours. I guess it's my body's way of recovering. The fluttering you describe sounds like atrial fib to me, I would ask your doctor about it, they can do some simple tests, like an echocardigram, stress test, I did one test where I wore a heart monitor for 24 hours, which actually was the most useful of all the tests, it showed my heart rate, I had to keep a notebook with me so I could record what I was doing the entire 24 hours. My doctor thought the test was pretty cool... there was like 5 hours where my heart rate was over 130, then it dropped to 50-60 beats per minute. During stressful times I try to keep my pulse around 80-85, once it gets near the 100 mark I start to feel wierd. Normal heart rate is 60-90 beats per minute. A panic attack and when the Mitral Valve acts up is almost identical in the symptoms, the mitral valve acts up, which sends a message to the brain that's there's something wrong, which sends a message to the adrenal glands to produce more adrenalin, which just makes the heart beat faster, and it goes into a cycle. The xanax helps to break the cycle. If nothing else for your own peace of mind I would push to have it checked out. hope this helps...pat

** Originally posted by AnneElizabeth **

I tolerate beta blockers better than the ACE inhibitors. The beta blockers have had no effect on my psoriasis at all. Years ago, I was on Inderal. Now I'm on Ziac, a combo beta blocker and diuretic - no problems, if anything, improvement. It has no side-effects at all compared to the ACE inhibitor I tried last year. That didn't affect my psoriasis either, but had some other really unpleasant effects.

SOME people have adverse results from inderal. It is by no means a universal reaction, and beta blockers are often the most effective drugs around for heart disease. Look out for them, but if the beta blocker is really the best treatment for your high bp/heart, don't be afraid to try it. We've got to keep the whole body healthy!

My psoriasis gets worse when my general health gets worse. Could you have new patches because of the underlying health problem rather than the treatment? Just a thought.

I'm now on beta-blockers and it has had no effect on my psoriasis at all. They seem to be at a plateau right now. Pat, as far as the "flutters" I mentioned, my gastr dr. seems to think it may be more from the hiatal hernia I have or the reflux than the heart. Everything, bp/heart rate are normal now. Guess I'll just see what happens! Thanks,

Marlene

** Originally posted by debber_1 **

Hello Merkinsmom,
I am so glad you posted... my husband has mitral valve prolaspe and HE has panic attacks! I am going to show your post to him!!!
Deb

** Originally posted by debber_1 **

That funny fluttering in your chest is possibly no more than paltitations...I get them and have had lots of tests...They are scary especially if you don't know what they are...My doc told me everyone gets them but most people don't notice them..They can be cause by stress, too much caffeine any kind of stimulant...But of course its best to bring it to your dotors attention to be sure...Good luck and keep us posted..
Deb

I've seen the dr since my last post, he doesn't seem at all concerned about the "flutters" I mentioned! I may see a new dr soon. My regular pcp didn't think anything was wrong before and said I would "just have to live with it" when "it" turned out to be a bone spur compressing my spinal cord!! I've since had surgery for that! He hasn't mentioned it since! No apology no nothing! oh well! I have mentioned it also to my gastro dr and he wasn't real concerned either, probably most likely related to the hiatal hernia than heart! So I'll chill for now! Thanks for the replies!

Marlene

** Originally posted by meow **

My non-derm HMO doctor prescribed atenolol for my rapid heartbeat. He did some research in his HMO database and didn't come up with anti-psoriasis references.

I went online and found a number of indications, as MBowden indicated earlier in this thread, that atenolol has a possibility of affecting psoriasis patients. I went to the Johns Hopkins consumer guide and found the following reference:

http://www.hopkinsafter50.com/html/silos/hypertension/bsJHCGD_atenolol.php

Disease Interactions

Atenolol should be used with caution in people with diabetes, especially insulin-dependent diabetes, since the drug may mask symptoms of hypoglycemia. Consult your doctor for specific advice if you have allergies or asthma, heart or blood vessel disease (including heart failure and peripheral vascular disease), irregular (slow) heartbeat, hyperthyroidism, myasthenia gravis, psoriasis, respiratory problems such as bronchitis or emphysema, kidney or liver disease, or a history of mental depression.

Now I am wondering. Has anyone here had a flare with atenolol?

** Originally posted by lapradef **

I've been on atenolol for several years, and no flares. Of course, I don't seem to have either flares or remissions from any source. See my earlier post in this thread.

Greydog

/////////

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support the National Psoriasis Foundation

Help the National Psoriasis Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the National Psoriasis Foundation

Discussion topics

Additional resources

Community leaders