I need some help, please. Humira and low Vitamin D level

** Originally posted by justme **

Hey there :)

I finally decided to join the board today :)

Here is a little bit about me:

I have Psoriasis and Psoriatic Arthritis. It runs in the family...

Psoriasis is going on since the end of 2004.
I got diagnosed with Psoriatic Arthritis beginning of 2008.

I was on Methotrexate (Pills 15mg/ once a week) for a while. Then they added Humira (1 40mg shot every two weeks)
Beginning 2009 they took me off MTX completely (which was more than fine with me since I felt awful while taking it!)
Last Month I was told I need to start MTX again. This time no pills but shots once a week (I believe 7 mg?). I refuse though... the last time I had to take it I reacted very extreme and wasn't able to function at all anymore.

Today I was told by my Family Doctor that my Vitamin D level is way too low and they want to put me on a Rx Vitamin D Supplement.

I called my Rheumatolgogist to discuss this issue. All I was able to do was leave a message :(
Now I play the waiting game and hope they call me back soon.

I am really worried about the low Vitamin D levels. Did anybody experience that too? How bad is this? Do I need to worry? Can I really take Vitamin D supplements while taking Humira?

So many questions, I know. I am just so scared right now...

18 replies. Join the discussion

** Originally posted by AlexDreamz **

i don't know about Humira specifically, but low vitamin d levels are not uncommon... I live in the pacific northwest and I have it (very common if you live somewhere that's cloudy a good portion of the year).

The one thing that might make you feel better about taking D... my old doc said that low levels of D could make you feel pain more (if that makes sense) - so taking it might make something feel better!

Good luck, justme, keep asking questions until you're comfortable with what they're telling you... then you can make an informed decision and it won't seem so scary (I hope!!) :)

** Originally posted by nla **

Welcome to the boards! During my physical last January I also had lab work done that showed my Vit D was quite low (only 10). My PCP put me on an RX for 8 weeks and I now take 2000 units of D each day. I am also on Enbrel. Both my rheumy and PCP said no problem with the Vitamin D RX and supplement. After a few months I began to feel much better. Low Vitamin D can give you lots of symptoms including fatigue, bone pain, etc. A few others on the boards have had the same deficiency and treatment.

Good luck and I hope to see you around often.

Nancy

Thank you! :)

Welcome to the boards! During my physical last January I also had lab work done that showed my Vit D was quite low (only 10). My PCP put me on an RX for 8 weeks and I now take 2000 units of D each day. I am also on Enbrel. Both my rheumy and PCP said no problem with the Vitamin D RX and supplement. After a few months I began to feel much better. Low Vitamin D can give you lots of symptoms including fatigue, bone pain, etc. A few others on the boards have had the same deficiency and treatment.

Good luck and I hope to see you around often.

Nancy

This would explain a lot... I have awful fatigue but blamed humira on it...

** Originally posted by nla **

Oops! I meant to add to my post to talk with your doctor again, find out what your Vit D level actually is and speak with him/her about your concerns.

Nancy

** Originally posted by AlexDreamz **

Good advice, Nancy... there are a lot of things that I end up talking to my dr about because my mom has experience with them (she has a different AI problem, but some similar symptoms)... it's interesting to see the things that my dr doesn't think to mention, but when I bring it up they're like "oh, yeah, absolutely!" My poor mother has saved me quite a few potential problems already (see, she's still teaching me! What a good mommy!! lol)

** Originally posted by Bubbles **

I think it is fine to take Vit D with Humira. My doctor has never said otherwise. Plus, I try to get lots of sunshine.

Bubbles

** Originally posted by 2trees **

Here is a little bit about me:

I have Psoriasis and Psoriatic Arthritis. It runs in the family...

Psoriasis is going on since the end of 2004.
I got diagnosed with Psoriatic Arthritis beginning of 2008.

I was on Methotrexate (Pills 15mg/ once a week) for a while. Then they added Humira (1 40mg shot every two weeks)
Beginning 2009 they took me off MTX completely (which was more than fine with me since I felt awful while taking it!)
Last Month I was told I need to start MTX again. This time no pills but shots once a week (I believe 7 mg?). I refuse though... the last time I had to take it I reacted very extreme and wasn't able to function at all anymore.

Today I was told by my Family Doctor that my Vitamin D level is way too low and they want to put me on a Rx Vitamin D Supplement.

I called my Rheumatolgogist to discuss this issue. All I was able to do was leave a message :(

I am really worried about the low Vitamin D levels. Did anybody experience that too? How bad is this? Do I need to worry? Can I really take Vitamin D supplements while taking Humira?

WE've all been there, scared I mean. The drugs the pain the side effects.
I don't know for sure about VitD and Humira but I take 3000 UI of D every day along with scads of other vitamins plus inject MTX 15mg once a week and 20mg Arava every other day. As far as I have read low vit D is common amongst arthritis sufferer's . The rheum speaker i saw a few months ago stressed the importance of taking vit D :)
Welcome to the boards there are a lot of experienced people here with loads of useful information .

** Originally posted by spottedcat83 **

If you don't get a call back this morning, I'd call the rheumatologist's office again. They probably lost your message in the general shuffle. It happens even in the best of offices.

My vitamin D levels were normal... just. 29 is low. Mine was 30. I expect many of us require more than the stated "normal" amount. Check with your doctor, but I can't see any reason why you couldn't take Vit. D with Humira.

** Originally posted by ginnylee **

Welcome, Justme!

I'm glad you joined! Just sorry that you had to!

Like everyone else has said. The low Vit. D seems to be a fairly common thing. I have no idea what mine is. I know, I should ask.

Hang in there with that rheum! Make them communicate with you.

Let us know how it goes!

** Originally posted by RichJ **

hi justme,
im sorry that i can't help much but welcome to the p family. you have meet some of the wonderful people on here and will find alot of great info. welcome and nice to meet you.

try and have a good day all

richard

** Originally posted by crohnsgirl **

Hi, I am new to the forum also but not to auto-immune diseases. Vitamin D is a vey safe one to take. but as always check with your dr. I have osteoporosis and my dr has me on 3,000 units a day in hopes of preventing any further damage. I am also on Humira for crohns disease lol, what fun.

Last winter an article came out in a health forum I belong to about vitamin D. The people that live in parts of the country that do not get much sunshine in the winter showed in a study to have a vitamin D deficit. They say if a person can stand outside in the sunshine 30 minutes a day it is very helpful too.

I hope you do well with the Humira, its much better than doing remicade infusions.

** Originally posted by freddy5 **

I, too, tested low for Vit D - 19, where the Normal range begins at 30.
I started taking 50,000 Units once weekly for 8 weeks and raised my level to 28.
I now take 2,000 Units daily as maintenance. . .

Vit D is getting lots of attention lately and that's a good thing. Low levels have been linked to compromised bone health, depression and even some types of cancer. .

Good luck.

Fred

** Originally posted by Flycaster **

The only meds that I know of which we are sometimes treated with that can strip out Vit. D and calcium (as well as directly cause loss of bone density) are glucosteroids (e.g., prednisone). I'm on Enbrel and I've never read anything about any of the TNF blockers being causually related to this problem. Regardless, by all means take the supplement and it might not be a bad idea to get a DEXA scan to see if you've suffered any bone loss. If you have, and you're osteoporotic, there are treatments (meds) to rebuild density. In the meantime, you can buy Vit. D with calcium tabs in bulk at Costco, for probably far less than your prescription cost.

** Originally posted by LydiaJane207 **

I also had low Vitamin D. I take it once a week, I also take Enbrel. Also, my B12 was low and I am getting shots. I am starting to feel more energetic. Vitamins are very important and fine to take with Enbrel or Humira.

** Originally posted by Marcy2 **

My DH is on Humira. He had a Vit D test a few months ago. It was a little low. His Ruemy told him to take 2,000 units a day of Vit D.
He had another Vit D test this past Friday. We will see if his Vit D is back in normal range.
His Ruemy says Vit D is very much ok to take while on Humira. Good luck. :)

** Originally posted by lifeisgood **

Does anyone feel off when taking Vit D.? Not sick but just off. Should I be taking it at a certain time of day. I tried first this in the morning and my stomach just feels bleh.
Could it be the Vit D?
Thanks

** Originally posted by mdthamd **

Welcome!

This is actually a silver lining....vitamin D is a POWERFUL immunomodulator, and plays an ACTIVE role in the maintenance of psoriasis itself. It's often been referenced that those with Lupus, RA, and other conditions, that ALSO have any of a number of bowel disorders suffer SIGNIFICANT flares when vitamin D levels are diminished.

It's also one of the reasons why some notice that going to a tanning bed in short bursts helps their psoriasis...

Pop that Vitamin D, I HOPE it gets you better!

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support the National Psoriasis Foundation

Help the National Psoriasis Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the National Psoriasis Foundation

Discussion topics

Additional resources

Community leaders