I need Help with My Scalp Psoriasis !!!!

Hi; Im just new to this Scalp Psoriasis this past march!!!!! I can not Stop trying to pick at it Or wanting to take off the patches in my hair!!! I dont know what to do next!!!! I went and saw my doctor.. She is sending to a skin doctor but the wait list is 6 months!!! Im gonna go stir crazy!! Its soooo itchy!!!! any suggestions??

I used Head & Shoulders then the SelsunBlue 2.5% and then the Denorex Extra Strength!! Today I bought some New Stuff from shoppers drug mart ( DERMAREST with Zinc Complex!!)

Then i use a Regular conditioner!!!!!

Is anybody taking pills or vitamins to help with it!! And Im also loosing my hair anything i can buy pill or vitamins so i dont loose my hair!! :(

I used to buy nutricap pills but so darn expensive! :(
So Depressing!!!!!

Help me!! :(

43 replies. Join the discussion

Redken makes one called scalp relief dandruff control I use this and it helps with the itching tremendously I also use a lice comb to scrape off most of my big thick patches after washing my hair and then I use a Tea tree oil directly on my scalp for soothing this is the only combo that has even somewhat helped

OK, it's time to get serious here. Your dr. needs to rx you some ketoconizole shampoo for one. It's going to dry your hair so condition for a long time. Dont use this too much. There is also clobetosol OINTMENT that you can use which you apply to your scalp - it's a steroid so use sparsely and sparingly - it will alleviate the itch. This will get you buy until you can get into a dermatologist.

for now you can put a mixture of 1/2 glycerin, 1/2 witch hazel all over your scalp, rub it in good - then sleep with that on with an old fashioned hair cover thing. Don't worry, it washes out easily. This will immediately alleviate your itch and also help reduce the buildup of plaques.

None of this is a cure. In Feb. I quit eating gluten and it helped my scalp out a ton, but it came back with a vengence a couple months ago for no reason. I did get rid of fifty pounds and learned about healthy eating, so that will stay with me forever.

Read the forum for other scalp tips. What worked for me might not work for you. But for NOW, try the WH/Glycerin. "Julia's Juice." Julia in FL invented it.

Your hair will grow back, but the spots that you dig and pick at are becoming permanently damaged and the hair follicles, too, so you might be giving yourself bald spots. Try to stop picking. If you can't, there are other threads here for help with that!

GOOD LUCK!

PS: I had long hair too, but I got a short cut. This helped me immensely get the medication/lotions/potions to my scalp, and also gave my damaged hair a chance to grow afresh.

I have the same problem with hair loss as well because it is so hard not to scrape those lumps of crap off of your scalp. I use and highly recommend a product called Nioxin. I get it the cheapest at JC Penny's of all places, their salon sells it and so do quite a few others. Most people that cut hair know about it. What helps a LOT with the plaques is the Scalp Therapy, portion of the product. They will try and sell you a kit of 2 oz of each of their products, but don't bother. I just use Nioxin Shampoo, I think a 12 oz bottle is around 15 bucks, but it does last a long time. The scalp therapy, is what you will use as a cream rinse actually, and is same size & price. What is so great about the scalp therapy is that it kinda smells like a cross between peppermint and tree tea oil, and you leave it on for about 3-5 minutes, most of that time massaging your scalp and making sure it gets past the hair. You feel your scalp tingling and there's just something about it that is extremely soothing and nurturing. It won't take all the plaque away at first, but keep using it, soon, you will see little stubs of hair spring up from your scalp and believe it or not, what you thought were gone forever root folicles that came out with the plaque, soon is coming back in..lying dormant under the crud. (sorry if that sounded crude, but I call it crud) Anyway, my hair dresser even has clients who buy the scalp therapy just for their psoriosis, but from what she said it's small patches here or there...not full blown such as I myself have. What I am saying tho, is that it in and of itself is Theraputic....but for the benefit of hair regrowth, ya really need both the shampoo and the scalp therapy. They work see my pic? I would never wear bangs before because they would take up half of my hair to make them! My ponytail was the size around of a dime~!!!!...For me, while it will never be a cure, it is a welcome relief to know those folicles and roots are not destroyed...Hang in there, you WILL notice a difference in a month or less. Hugs Dear One ~ Judy

I personally do not have it on my scalp but my daughter does. She has used tea tree shampoo/conditioner. It did help but only a little. She has switched to ISO Tamer Cleanse shampoo & conditioner. You can get it at one of those beauty supply places. I bought hers off Amazon, it was much cheaper there. It does cost a little more but much worth it. Best of luck to you.

Cue>Witch hazel & glycerin did not help me any more than any other RX or brew but, you might try it since it's cheap. I shampoo with Dermarest followed by Tail & Mane conditioner every other day plus I take Biotin, Thyroid Assist, Vit E, and Vit D3 w/K. This has stopped my hair loss. My hair is still thin but, appears to be gradually making somewhat of a come back. After having such thick beautiful long hair, this definitely has been a challenge not to mention a constant struggle to remain optimistic but, at the same time shocked from the loss. I still itch daily and carefully lift and remove crusty spots.<Scalp is always red, though> I refuse to use any of the RX's anymore<tired of looking like a greasy rat and none keeps it away>. I see a CN at my local health food store and changed my diet to be gluten free and dairy free. All this has helped me more than any Derm or RX. I know that everyone has to find their own feel-good path......it's just so strange that this beast can morph even when you think you've found something that works! Patiently waiting for a cure all along the way trying different things to help yourself is the name of the game. Comfort to me is basically tolerance! Try everything even if it seems unlikely. Your friend in scalp P w/hair loss, LadyFish

Right now my scalp psoriasis is the worst its ever been! It is driving me crazy and very embarrassing. I, like you, can't leave it alone. I pick at it without even realizing it. Mine gets to where my skin feels so tight and burns and then actually splits. When I pick it off it feels like raw, burned skin and even bleeds, but there is relief. I went for a walk the other day and just the wind blowing through my hair burned like fire! It was so angry red when I made it to where I was going people asked me if I burned my head with my curling iron. No, just stupid psoriasis. I am at my wits end with this disease. I've taken Methotrexate off and on for 15 yrs (I have inverse psoriasis, plaque psoriasis, and psoriatic arthritis) but what worked best on my scalp is Luxiq foam (burns when applied, but doesn't last long) to calm down flares and then Dovonex. This disease is relentless though. If I miss a few days treatment, it is back as if I had never treated it. I have always had a positive attitude concerning this, I mean there are a lot of worse diseases I could be dealing with right?! But II've been struggling lately. I think I will try the WItch hazel and glycerin though to see if it helps.

I use the Dermarest shampoo currently, and a good conditioner including Coconut Oil on the scalp itself. I think you have to experiment until you find something that works for you. Tea Tree Shampoo didn't work for me and it can be expensive. Head & Shoulder will only mat the plague to the scalp. Not good. I also shampoo no more than twice a week; the scalp is too dry otherwise. In between I use the Olive Clobestrol (very inexpensive) and Tea Tree Oil to moisten my scalp. Not gone, but so much better; the flaking is minimal right now and it was horrendous. I am actually wearing black today; something I haven't done for some time. You can always use a dry shampoo in between, but it is about keeping the scalp clear. The Olive Clobestrol doesn't leave the hair greasy; other oils like Tea Tree and Glycerin/WH do. I try to mix it up, because everything also seems to have a reduced effect over time. I plan to try the new Clear Shampoo next. Anyone had experience with it?

Also, there are diet changes (Gluten, Dairy, Nightshades), supplements (D3, Fish Oil, Evening Primrose, etc.), and UVB light. Again, what works for one of us doesn't always work for everyone. I love the ideas and you just have to keep at it. As someone else said, there is no cure, but you can manage it. My newest flairs are on the inside of my thighs (painful and itchy) and my hands again - Just when I thought that I might be clear, but trying to stay positive - down from over 80% coverage to maybe 20-30%.

I made a liquid soap that got rid of most of my p. spots on my head and the hair grew back. Still have one small stubborn spot but haven't been using the same soap because it doesn't wash out well. I know anything with peppermint, rosemary and tea tree WILL STOP the itch and help heal. Rosemary is also a hair growth stimulant. The pedifix liquid soap is one closest to what I used but I would use a good aloe vera conditioner afterward to get the soap out that leaves a bit of a film. http://www.amazon.com/PediFix-FungaSoap-Cleansing-Value-Ounces/dp/B001GBBVG 4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1351875830&sr=8-1&keywords=fungal+soap I used tresemme Naturals conditioner with aloe vera and avacado but the shampoo is a definate No no. Any soap or shampoo with sodium laurel sulfate will agrivate p. and increase p. areas! Nioxin has a lot of good ingredients but also contains sodium laurel sulfate. http://www.askdocweb.com/nioxin.html Right now I use a coconut shampoo by Desert essence that leaves a nice clean feel and doesn't aggrivate the one small p. spot I have left. http://www.swansonvitamins.com/q?kw=desert+essence+coconut+shampoo&x=28&y=4

i use the Eloconm (mometasone Fooate lotion 0.0%) after u bath apply on ur hair , personally i got relief from the itching , now there is no scalps in my hair, sorry for my English, it will work that iam sure

Good to know....my daughter buys sulfate free shampoo because she has curly hair and it does better without it. I'm going to try it for a week or two and see if it makes a difference for me. So much information on this website, I'm glad I finally found it!!

dont use any shampoos & Oil it will increase ur problem only , avoid non vegetarian food and smoking .my doctor told to me 90% diet controll & 10 madicine for psoriasis

The one thing that I got from the Derm that is Fluocinolone Acetonide 0.01%. Its a scalp oil. You wet your scalp at nite, then put on the oil. It comes with shower caps. Do this for about 4 nights in a row and the build up will be gone. But as with P it wont be gone forever. For the itch I take claritin during the day, which for some reason seems to help clear the P in my ears. I have had a terrible bout with Guttate for the past 6-9 months, using Closbatall spray and light treatments rt now. Just bought the book by Dr Pagnono and may try his method soon. One thing with the scalp, I find that if I have any kind of citrus, lemons, limes etc. It makes the itch worse. Even though they are suppose to be an alkaline in your system, if your system is acidic stay alway from acidy foods.

Has anyone communicated with the patient advocates through "psoriasisSPEAKS" by Abbott Laboratories? I made an inquiry and have received some mailings but have not yet made direct contact with the patient advocate assigned to me. Abbott produces treatments but I am not yet familiar. I am new to this "Inspire" site and look forward to some possible relief for scalp and shin plaque and back guttate.

I have good luck with witch hazel and glycerin. I also use enbrel. The enbrel helps a lot and then glycerin and witch hazel stop the remaining itching and clears the plaque. I never had success with any of the shampoo's.

Kelly do you use witch hazel with no alcohol? I cant seem to find it. I bought the liguid glycerin, just how do you apply the two ?

Hey luvstogulf2, I found alcohol free witch hazel on amazon. As juliainfla suggested I mixed the two together in a little spray bottle. For me it is working well....and I am also juicing and have cut out gluten. Another person suggested using q-tips to apply it to your scalp. That works great because it doesn't make your hair as greasy. Hope it works for you.

Oops golf not gulf. ; )

Yes, alcohol free witch hazel is key. I think I got mine at Walgreen's. It works great!

thank-you,! q-tips wont work or me, its across the back of my head, ear to ear

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support the National Psoriasis Foundation

Help the National Psoriasis Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the National Psoriasis Foundation

Discussion topics

Additional resources

Community leaders