I know this sounds Gross but....

** Originally posted by MrRick **

Do any of you have a pet that just wants to lick on your PS?

I have a Yorkie, who thinks it must be steak. I have to fight her off sometimes wanting to lick at my knees.

If you google it, "Pet licking my PS" you'll see other folks say the same thing and some claim it helps.

The power of a Lick?

17 replies. Join the discussion

** Originally posted by grannyfranny **

Yes,,,,,,I had a Gordon Setter and a Norwegian Elkhound that to lick my feet.
Maybe it was the medicine, creams or lotions that we use.

** Originally posted by Uniqua **

That's funny...I noticed the same thing today!! First off, my dog (Golden Retriever) is a nut job and ALWAYS likes to lick lotion. So it's no surprise that he sits and waits while I apply my topicals. I think he thinks I'm basting. I don't let him lick me, obviously, since they are not for ingestion. However, today he really wanted to lick my legs when I had not put anything on. And, he tried to lick only the p. spots!! I wonder if dogs have some sort of sense. I actually googled something similar years ago because he likes to lick my feet and I wondered if that was bad. I remember stumbling across something that said dog saliva can actually be healing in a way. (That's not how they put it, but I can't remember the specifics.) Wouldn't it be funny if the breakthrough treatment for p. is to get a good licking from Fido?! OK, it's late, and my sense of humor is TWISTED!!

** Originally posted by AlrightyThen **

Every night when I go to bed, one of my cats has to come lick the psoriasis on my elbows. I think of it as her way of saying "Here, let me fix your boo-boo for you." It's pretty funny.

** Originally posted by MyClearSkin **

Do any of you have a pet that just wants to lick on your PS?

I have a Yorkie, who thinks it must be steak. I have to fight her off sometimes wanting to lick at my knees.

If you google it, "Pet licking my PS" you'll see other folks say the same thing and some claim it helps.

The power of a Lick?

This is interesting...

However,

One person mentioned somthing that is concerning is that meds or topicals we use...

PLEASE everyone, take caution!

I LOVE animals and no way can that be healthy for any animal if you applying meds and allows your pet to lick your "P"... :eek:

BUT on the other hand , if your are NOT or you just took a shower and dont have meds and you have your Pet licking your "P" ...

Here is my take,

Animals lick there wounds all the time, and it is your animal that LOVES you so much that they are trying to help you heal ! :p

Also I would not put it past the fact that there may be something in there saliva that helps our "P" clear but not sure.

Would that not be crazy if animal salvia helps "Slow" our red blood cells from rising to the surface.

Have a great week all !

Dave

http://www.MyClearSkin.net

** Originally posted by michelle1974 **

hahaha that is so funny...my cat is obsessed with licking my eyebrows! I don't have p there. hmmmmm....maybe that's why!!!!!!!!!! hahhaha!

** Originally posted by northerngal **

OMG! I had a friends dog and the house and whenever I sat down, the dog would go crazy to play with my hair. The owner even commented that the dog must really like my shampoo. Unknown to him it was a sticky, yucky coal tar shampoo.

Animals have been noted to sense oncoming seizures in some people, will lay on a family member when the person is unwell. Maybe there is something with the P that they can smell.

Me? I only smell tar....

** Originally posted by ScottishDanny **

yeah my highland terriers always try to lick my P. I hate them licking me at the best of times, but i think its just them trying to be nice. Does get annoying though.

** Originally posted by Dianita **

The truth is that pets know where and when we're wounded; it's their love for us and that is instinctual in them; they will do for us as they would for themselves. My dog a Havanese licks my legs to dry them when I come out of the shower; it's so sweet and actually feels really good. As far as leaking my P they (I have two cats too) have not started yet but I remember that sometimes my dog has leaked my wounds or scratches...it's healing but don't let them do it if you have medication on; could be dangerous. There is a story of St. Roque who had his leprosy healed by dogs...search the engine. It would be such a miracle for any of us if our pets could heal us too! God bless you all- D

** Originally posted by Baytoven **

No, dh does not let our pets lick his plaques.

I would be very concerned about pets ingesting topical meds.

Also, pets' mouths could introduce bacteria into what is an open wound. Our vet has warned us about keeping cat-caused wounds clean and watching them very carefully. Mauling dog bites require prophylactic treatment to prevent massive infection that can add more damage and disfigurement to the bite itself. Dogs can carry strep, let alone rabies. Any possible benefit is more than likely offset by the infection risk, and standard hygiene procedures and antibacterial ointments are safer.

** Originally posted by grannyfranny **

You can teach a dog not to lick! I did and our dogs would lick others but not me.

When they lick, close your hand over the snout and squeeze just hard enough for it to be uncomfortable and say NO! Then distract the dog with a treat. Several times doing this and they will stop.

Don't squeeze had enough to hurt!

Don't let you animals lick the meds or eat chocolate ,,,,,,,, could be poison to
them.

See my beauty,,too bad she got sick.

** Originally posted by MrRick **

Here's the little licker of mine.

She has her "Izzy the Lizzie" (Lizard) at the moment.

rick

** Originally posted by Kegrun **

Mine licked me also.

http://psoriasis.org/forum/showthread.php?t=27325&highlight=lick

** Originally posted by Patty925 **

I have to shih tzu's and they like to lick my lotion and I have P on my arms right now and they go crazy, over it. I think I read in one of these treads that they P tastes extra salty to our pets not sure.

I certainly would not let them lick me if I had meds, they like the Avon Oatmeal lotion. They do wait for me to apply it so they can try to lick it off. hahaha to silly. :D

** Originally posted by sailnavy **

Ok, I know its odd. Please be careful with this. I have a cat that came down with an immune system issue. I obviously can't prove it, but I've been using taclonex at night, and she used to try to lick my elbows and legs during the day. I never let her do it, but I don't know if she got at them when I was asleep or not. She started having an immune mediated anemia, very rare disease that now requires prednisone. My concern is that the vitamin D or the steroid in the taclonex could have affected her immune system somehow.

Pets can bring balance and calm into the lives of people with P, I'd hate to see anyone else have this happen to their pet. Again, no concrete connection, but it kinda stands to reason. I got very lucky to have an extremely good vet that figured it out. Keep your pets safe!

** Originally posted by TLd317 **

My Lhasa Apso -Katie Scarlett O'Hara (I know big name little dog) always licks my skin- I just thought she is a licker...but my mother commented that she has "maternal instincts" and she is trying to make me better. She is so sweet!

I never let her lick if i have any meds on- I am afraid of her getting sick. This stinks in the warm weather because at night i still have to wear long pants & long sleeves so she doesn't try to lick my legs & arms.

I have noticed that when she licks my elbows they tend to clear up a bit.

all the best

** Originally posted by aprilflowers99 **

Your puppies are beautiful!

My Lhasa Poo loves to lick me too and I have noticed that she goes right for the P spots. My kids and husband get ticked when she does it but because I do day care all day and have kids climbing all over me and wiping me with diaper wipes and things like they're cleaning me I don't always even notice when she's licking me. But my family yells "EWW! Gross!!!". Granted when she does it I'm usually on here either reading or typing so I'm a little engrossed in what I'm doing. Besides no one wants to admit it but it feels good. LOL I also have wondered though how many germs are floating around her mouth. They do say that your mouth is the dirtiest part of your body.

** Originally posted by MyClearSkin **

Ok, I know its odd. Please be careful with this. I have a cat that came down with an immune system issue. I obviously can't prove it, but I've been using taclonex at night, and she used to try to lick my elbows and legs during the day. I never let her do it, but I don't know if she got at them when I was asleep or not. She started having an immune mediated anemia, very rare disease that now requires prednisone. My concern is that the vitamin D or the steroid in the taclonex could have affected her immune system somehow.

Pets can bring balance and calm into the lives of people with P, I'd hate to see anyone else have this happen to their pet. Again, no concrete connection, but it kinda stands to reason. I got very lucky to have an extremely good vet that figured it out. Keep your pets safe!

I agree 100%

By the way , so sorry to hear about your cat.

I relize most here are taking a lite humor to this whole thread, If your NOT using topicals , GREAT let you pets lick away!

But if you are ... dont let them NEAR your "P" !

I am a BIG TIME animal lover and the true fact is, our animals can be our best friends when we are down...

I am sure most of you knew this fact but just in case there is some dummies out there ;) , dont let your pets lick in "P" if your using topicals.

Cheers all !

Dave

http://www.MyClearSkin.net

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support the National Psoriasis Foundation

Help the National Psoriasis Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the National Psoriasis Foundation

Discussion topics

Additional resources

Community leaders