I have strep, and going from Enbrel to Humira

** Originally posted by KDDM **

Hi All,
I just found out that I have strep throat (got it from my darling 3 yr old). I did my last Enbrel injection last Wednesday, and I'm supposed to start Humira this Wednesday. Obviously I'm going to hold off on the Humira as long as I can until I'm done with the antibiotics. I'm just a little nervous that 1) my p is going to come back with avengence from being off the biologics, and 2) how will I know when I am 100% better? I'm scared to start the Humira in a week or so and end with strep again or something even worse. My whole entire body feels like I've been hit by a truck, I was sooo sure I had the flu. They tested me for the flu but that was negative and strep was postive. I'm not quite sure what my question is...I think I'm just scared that my body feels so horrible, and scared to start a different biologic. Maybe I'll give my derm a call today and see what he says. Uuuggghhh this really stinks!! Thanks for listening!
~Kelly

7 replies. Join the discussion

** Originally posted by deemah **

Hi Kelly,

You are right that you should call your derm and ask your questions. However, it is recommended that you do not start on a biologic if you have an infection. So, you should wait until your strep throat is completely gone before starting Humira. Although your p may return while you are off the biologic, it may not be worse. Everyone is different. So, keep positive thoughts.

Deemah-
Thanks so much for your response. I'm really trying to stay positive, even though I just found out my 2yr old now has strep too. I swear it's never ending!!! My skin is not too bad so far. I'm hoping Humira works for me as well as Enbrel did.
Thanks again, have a good day!
~Kelly

** Originally posted by bratb1 **

Hi Kelly
I have been on enbrel for over a year and a half. It lost its effectiveness and I developed a new form of Psoriaisis on my feet and the palms of my hands. I am in the process of changing to Humira, just waiting for the go from my health ins. I have only been off enbrel 2 weeks. Last week at work I became ill very quickly, high fever, body ache, chills and then the sore throat. It took all of about 15 minutes for my temp to go fom normal to 103. I went to the doc and the culture came back positive for strep. I am on antibiotics and am getting better but my psoriasis is in full break out. I am torn about starting Humira but I have got to do something to try and heal my feet. I hope you are feeling better, strep is nasty. The best of luck to you with Humira

Hi bratb1,
Wow - that sounds all too familiar. Hope you're feeling better too!
Funny thing happened, I did my last Enbrel injection Wed 2/27. That's almost 2 weeks ago! I've been on the antibiotic for one week now and the p on my hands and feet is almost clear!! I can't believe this! I really thought I'd be in bad shape in between the Enbrel and Humira, but I'm actually better than I was before! (I know I just jinxed myself) Could it be the antibiotic? Have you noticed any clearing with the antibiotic? We'll see what happens when I'm done with it. I have every intention of starting the Humira when it starts up again. I hope the Humira works for both of us. It really is not fun having it on your hands and feet. Well, good luck, and keep me posted!
~Kelly

** Originally posted by wpeng4 **

I took my 4th weekly 50mg Enbrel shot last thursday. I have had some earlys sign of strep throat since the 2nd shot and started taking Keflex(an antibiotics) last week. My P is now noticeably lighter in color, but not sure how much should be attributed to antibiotics. I often got strep throat when I was little, several times a year. As I grew older, strep throat "went away", but I got p at age 17. Now, I suspect that my strep never went away, instead, it has been supressed by my immune system with a large amount of TNFs, which is known to be the attacker causing p.

Hey wpeng4,
Very interesting story. I never really had strep when I was young (maybe once). Maybe you have something there! It's hard for you to conclude anything b/c it very well could be the Enbrel working for you. Right now I'm on a rather strong antibiotic called Augmentin (sp?). I'm not on anything else but the antibiotic, so it has to be that, I guess????
I've read a lot about GrannFranny and her success with antibiotics (Kelfex specifically). Seems to be working well for her. I'm not sure it's something my derm would consider for me, but it's worth asking about right?
Good Luck with the Enbrel. I was on it last year for 9 months and they were the best 9 months I've had in a long time!!
~Kelly

** Originally posted by bratb1 **

I have not noticed any change with the antibiotic but it has only been 4 days. Keep me posted on your progress with Humira and thanks for the feedback

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support the National Psoriasis Foundation

Help the National Psoriasis Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the National Psoriasis Foundation

Discussion topics

Additional resources

Community leaders