How long until Methotrexate starts working?

** Originally posted by jason_winnipeg **

Hello,
Just wondering on average for everyone, how long it has taken methotrexate to start working for them? Thank you so much. Take care.

Jason

27 replies. Join the discussion

** Originally posted by bozzly **

Well I have been taking 3 pills (7.5) for 2 months now and haven't notice any change in my condition.
I'm due to see the doc this coming Monday so maybe he might up the dose a bit.

** Originally posted by usnvetwi **

Well, I was on mtx for about 4 1/2 to 5 years before it finally stopped working for me, unfortunately. But it worked very good for me while it lasted. I was doing 20 mg a week, and that was keeping me mostly clear, I would say about 90% clear. I had a spot right below my collar line on my back that I didn't care much about, and a couple small spots on the tops of my feet that I could also live with.

Eric

** Originally posted by JesseLou **

I noticed a difference after a couple of months, but I didn't get complete relief until my dose had gone up to 20 mg from a starting point of 12.5 mg. I went on MTX in late January 2003, and was up to 20 mg by Thanksgiving of that year. In between, I would get relief, then my immune system would win until my rheumy raised the dose again. It also went the other way - got so good at 20mg, that I went back down to 12.5mg for about a year, and now I'm at 17.5, with good control.

It's a balancing act, Jason - you take the smallest dose that gives you acceptable results, and you adjust up and down to match the misbehavior of your immune cells!

** Originally posted by LoriASoCal **

I've taken it for 17 years. With MTX alone and no other treatment it will get me about 45% clear from about 80% covered... which is fantastic as far as I'm concerned. I have been using biologics for the last couple years and have enjoyed my skin being mostly clear. I believe the MTX held back much of my PA damage when I was at the higher doses though in the last few years I feel the PA has been extremely aggressive and is hard to control with almost any of my efforts. But I still take MTX and feel I can't stop taking it because my disease is just too out of control without it.

I definitely suffer when I miss a dose or have to cut back on it for any reason. I currently take 12.5 mg per week with remicade infusion every 6 weeks. Plus whatever other nsaids,painkillers, topicals etc, I feel like adding to the mix.

Lori

** Originally posted by tmartha **

I've been on Mtx for 5 weeks, started noticing some improvement in my joint pain after 3 weeks. 12.5 mg/week. I'm glad for the improvement I've gotten so far, but hopefully this isn't the end of it 'cause there's a lot more to go. I suppose, as Jessie Lou says, the doc will adjust me up in the future. Like your phrase, Jessie, about the "misbehavior of our immune cells"...naughty buggers...

Oh, and recently my scalp p has definitely gotten better - maybe by 50%.

Jason, have you started on or are you considering Methotrexate?

Tani

** Originally posted by kaynorth **

Hi Jason

They say it can take up to 12 weeks to kick in but I suppose you will only feel better if you are on a high enough dose. I was taking a lot of painkillers and anti inflammatories when I started on MTX and then gradually found that I could wean myself of them. I am lucky as I only take 7.5 mg a week. I have to say that I have lost about 16lbs recently ( not through self will but because I have a problem with my gall bladder) and my arthritis does seem to have eased off a lot. I am not overweight now but those extra pounds I have lost certainly seemed to have helped.

Hope you feel better soon

Love Kay

** Originally posted by Al **

My story may be helpful. I was on 15 mgs of MTX orally for over 4 months and - nothing!!! It didn't work at all. My rheumy then upped the dose to 20 mgs and started me on injections. After only two weeks, I am noticing a big difference. I still have pain but I can say that the MTX is working. I may have to increase the injectible dose or I may just have to take a few more doses to see what happens. My point in writing this is that many people find more success with mtx by injection. You also have to rev up to the right dosage and that can take a while.

Allan

** Originally posted by Saxmom **

when I started MTX, the doc said it would take approximately 3 months before I started to notice anything other then the side effects. It actually took closer to 6 months, but once it kicked in I was able to stay on it at 7.5mgs for close to 5 years. After that my liver said it had had enough. Anyway, good luck with it. I hope that it works very well for you with minimal side effects. Just don't forget to take folic acid!
Paige

** Originally posted by cajungirl **

I have been taking 7.5mg for 4 weeks and just got bumped up to 15mg per week. I have already started to notice a difference with the pain from the pa, but no change in the p yet.

** Originally posted by hjl1969 **

I have been on mtx since Sept 05. My dose has been changed multiple times. At one point it was 20mgs. Currently it is 10mgs. My rheumy lowered it because we have seen no positive results and my side effects.....suck. 6 months, maybe mtx is not meant for me.

** Originally posted by jdgarwood **

I have been on mtx since Sept 05. My dose has been changed multiple times. At one point it was 20mgs. Currently it is 10mgs. My rheumy lowered it because we have seen no positive results and my side effects.....suck. 6 months, maybe mtx is not meant for me.

I was on MTX from last April until September....no relief and plenty of side effects. It doesn't work for everyone. I started Enbrel in September and have been very happy with the results...just hope it keeps working. Rheumy wants me to add MTX but I tried and couldn't hack it.

Joel

** Originally posted by knowledgeofage **

I'll be taking my fourth dose of 10mg of methotrexate tomorrow. It has started working. I can feel it. But my wrists are still sore and my I fear damage is still being done. Here's my left hand. It went bad about six months ago. 1 year ago I was working out four times a week at a local gym doing a full weight workout including wrist exercises with weights. I could bench 250 lbs 20 times in a row no problem. Now I'm overweight with a deformed left hand and a right hand that is impacted. I cannot bend those fingers. I cannot make a fist. Those are three swan fingers and they are locked rigid like that.

You don't want this to happen to you. It affects your life, your ability to earn, everything in very real ways. Hopefully my rheumatologist knows what to do. Hopefully. I see him next Tuesday.

** Originally posted by AlexDreamz **

Others have said it, but since I literally JUST got home from my rheumy's office with my first MTX scrip, I'll say it again... 3 months minimum before you see results. That's what she told me :) And I totally meant to ask about inj, because several have said they had fewer side effects, but I forgot (and I didn't realize that's where she was going when she left the room! lol)

** Originally posted by Ranger05 **

Others have said it, but since I literally JUST got home from my rheumy's office with my first MTX scrip, I'll say it again... 3 months minimum before you see results. That's what she told me :) And I totally meant to ask about inj, because several have said they had fewer side effects, but I forgot (and I didn't realize that's where she was going when she left the room! lol)

She should have told you 3 months MAXIMUM. After 3 months of no relief, MTX is generally considered a failure. Most responders will feel better much sooner. I started feeling better after about 3 weeks. By week 5 I was 95% pain free. No side effects for me either as far as I know.

** Originally posted by AlexDreamz **

Well, it doesn't really matter for me, because the plan is that we'll start the Enbrel ASAP... my insurance company says 6 weeks, which isn't long enough for full effect, either way. And to be fair to my very nice doc, she may have said max! I was kinda on information overload when I posted that last night. :)

** Originally posted by northern_techie **

She should have told you 3 months MAXIMUM. After 3 months of no relief, MTX is generally considered a failure. Most responders will feel better much sooner. I started feeling better after about 3 weeks. By week 5 I was 95% pain free. No side effects for me either as far as I know.

Ranger, was fatigue ever an issue for you with the PsA pre-MTX? Did the MTX make it an issue for you?

One of the worst parts of my PsA is the accompanying fatigue. However, I imagine once the PsA is better under control I should experience less fatigue. Here's to hoping!

Wow, 5 weeks to mostly pain free. I have been on MTX for 4 weeks now with no noticeable impact on my PsA. My facial P has cleared, but little else.

Tyler

** Originally posted by mikey **

Hi im on my 3rd week 10mg and P on my leg has turned pink and looks a bit smooth. I think it is smooth because going to the beach and also using ego cream but facial is pretty much gone.

Hope it all goes soon, when it does im gonna stick to my hald decent diet and work out and keep my legs moisturise with ego.

** Originally posted by philangst **

about 12 weeks for me. A lot better since I've gone to 25mg. Had a hospital visit today and asked the Dr how long I would have to take it for, 'long term' was the answer, especially if its working which it is. The 'if it aint broke....dont fix it' theory

** Originally posted by Ranger05 **

Ranger, was fatigue ever an issue for you with the PsA pre-MTX? Did the MTX make it an issue for you?

One of the worst parts of my PsA is the accompanying fatigue. However, I imagine once the PsA is better under control I should experience less fatigue. Here's to hoping!

Wow, 5 weeks to mostly pain free. I have been on MTX for 4 weeks now with no noticeable impact on my PsA. My facial P has cleared, but little else.

Tyler

Fatigue has never been an issue for me. Niether before treatment or after. Even in the beginning when I was in tremendous pain. My fatigue level never seemed affected. I believe i'm rare in that respect though. Once MTX started working, it just got better and better each day. It was like a 10% improvement each day until I was feeling more or less like my old self again. I can see (or feel i guess) where PsA has left it's damage though. But pain wise, it's all but gone now. My knee's seem to always be a bit puffy and my ankles and a few toes actually look a little bit deformed I guess. I have a sausage toe that never got any better. I'm not totally pain free everyday however. Occasionally I will get twinges of pain in my feet, heels, and knees. But it's always very minor. Minor to the point that I wouldn't even give it a second thought if i didn't know that I had PsA.

** Originally posted by muddpie **

Took about 2 months for me!!! I take the weekly injection. No side effects except fatigue the day after..

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support the National Psoriasis Foundation

Help the National Psoriasis Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the National Psoriasis Foundation

Discussion topics

Additional resources

Community leaders